• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

mackbrad

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I would like to highly recommend a boot brand I just got introduced to: Boulet from Canada. Known for their cowboy boots, they recently ventured into casual models but doing a piss poor job of marketing them.

https://bouletboots.com/product-category/casuals/

There is only a plain toe series for now, but offer a variety of soles including a copy of Vibram Christy, Vibram 430, and Vibram heavy lug. I have the 8967 model with the Christy style sole.

Incredibly comfortable and the 8.5eee fits exactly like my 8.5eee dress shoes. I am wearing a pair of thicker wool socks and fit is perfect. The insoles and wedge sole offer excellent support, which I need as I use orthotics.

The stitching is clean, flawless, and even. Absolutely no break in, whereas I have struggled trying to break in a pair of Red Wing 8111. Of my other boots, these fit best. A close second are my Chippewa boots. Red Wing, Wolverine 1000 mile, Dr. Martens, and Blundstone aren't ideal for fit. I will be buying more pairs of Boulet. For sure.

Price point is $330 CAD or around $255 USD. For a goodyear welted boot that is made in Canada, I think that is a very competitive value. To my knowledge, Boulet only offers their goods through their own website, or stockists.

I got these from Gary Coakley in London Ontario: https://www.coakleys.ca/ I would ask all you boot enthusiasts to give this brand a try.

View attachment 1496937 View attachment 1496938 View attachment 1496939 View attachment 1496940 View attachment 1496941 View attachment 1496942 View attachment 1496943 View attachment 1496944 View attachment 1496945 View attachment 1496946 View attachment 1496947 View attachment 1496948
I really like the look of these. Very similar in style to a pair of boots I bought in Toronto's Kensington Market two decades ago and have been keeping an eye out for ever since. Thanks for the tip!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the look of these. Very similar in style to a pair of boots I bought in Toronto's Kensington Market two decades ago and have been keeping an eye out for ever since. Thanks for the tip!

I am buying 2 more pairs. For the price, they are comfortable and fit well. Plus made in Canada!

mackbrad

Reaction score
Today I am feeling like I have opened up a Dack's store, circa 1984. Six NOS pairs have arrived, complete with their boxes and shoe trees. Four pairs of black balmorals (9.5C), one pair of brown loafers and a pair of zippered kangaroo boots. All had been stockpiled by a former Air Canada pilot who was moving out of his house into a care facility.

View attachment 1500495 View attachment 1500496 View attachment 1500497 View attachment 1500498
Motherlode! I have a pair of those Kangaroo boots in brown. I'd be interested in a black pair as well if you're considering selling them.

basstoyourface

Reaction score
20201124_183028.jpg

gorebug

Reaction score
A few pair that have been picked up over the last few weeks...

My first capture of Prairie Oxhide
1CG_1319.jpeg

1CG_1321.jpeg

These incredible Dacks Bond Street. My recollection was that these were a 'lower grade' shoe, but this pair of double-soled gunboats are phenomenal. Too big for me (10.5G) so will have to move these along at some point.
1CG_1336.jpeg

1CG_1340.jpeg

1CG_1342.jpeg

Not sure i should make you suffer through this next set... Backstory: My parents retired out to the okanagan several years ago and last year my brother and I bought my Dad his first of 'good shoes' and he's become quite fond of them (and good shoes in general). Now, rather than waiting in the car while my mom hits a thrift shop, he'll go through the shoe section. Rather than getting a series of texts and pictures from him when he's out, I've instructed him to grab anything made in USA or Canada.
1CG_1390.jpeg

1CG_1392.jpeg

1CG_1396.jpeg

Insole appears to say 'Florenza'. I suspect that these will end up being re-donated but figured they should be recorded here for posterity lest we become too prideful about Canadian shoes and shoe-makers. lol

Last edited:

gorebug

Reaction score
I also decided to take the plunge and re-sole this vintage pair of Dack's Water Bison loafers. I was a little apprehensive about the appearance of these when i first found them but after finally developing some burnishing I'm happy with, figured they deserved to be refreshed. Not sure of the quality of the leather sole installed but with the frequency i might wear them they should be good for at least a decade. Also my cobbler had some 'cats paws' on hand so had them included with the project.

1CG_1345.jpeg

1CG_1347.jpeg

1CG_1350.jpeg

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few pair that have been picked up over the last few weeks...

My first capture of Prairie Oxhide
View attachment 1506758
View attachment 1506759

These incredible Dacks Bond Street. My recollection was that these were a 'lower grade' shoe, but this pair of double-soled gunboats are phenomenal. Too big for me (10.5G) so will have to move these along at some point.
View attachment 1506761
View attachment 1506762
View attachment 1506763

Not sure i should make you suffer through this next set... Backstory: My parents retired out to the okanagan several years ago and last year my brother and I bought my Dad his first of 'good shoes' and he's become quite fond of them (and good shoes in general). Now, rather than waiting in the car while my mom hits a thrift shop, he'll go through the shoe section. Rather than getting a series of texts and pictures from him when he's out, I've instructed him to grab anything made in USA or Canada.
View attachment 1506768
View attachment 1506769
View attachment 1506790

Insole appears to say 'Florenza'. I suspect that these will end up being re-donated but figured they should be recorded here for posterity lest we become too prideful about Canadian shoes and shoe-makers. lol
Yes, lower grade. Absolute rubbish. Shouldn't have picked them up.

Which is why I'm about to message you about acquiring them...

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, lower grade. Absolute rubbish. Shouldn't have picked them up.

Which is why I'm about to message you about acquiring them...

I was about to be a dad and caution you about being rude.

Then I finished reading your post.

Carry on.

gorebug

Reaction score
Local goodwill had 4 pair of Dacks on the racks yesterday and I'll probably pop by today to see if their tag colour is 50% off.

Any idea what kind of hide this pair might be? The grain doesn't seem to be 'damage' but rather is inherent to the skin.

IMG_5685.jpeg

IMG_5686.jpeg

IMG_5687.jpeg

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not vintage but 100% Canadian company and made here. These are the Boulet boots I recently bought. They are my most comfortable and best fitting boots. Zero competition. 2 more pair incoming. For the price, they trump Red Wing or any other US brand I've tried.

20201129_134548.jpg
20201129_134553.jpg
20201129_140514.jpg
20201129_140611.jpg
20201129_140836.jpg
20201129_140855.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I picked up a nice pair of RCMP Congress boots (Quarter Wellingtons). Hartt made these boots for the RCMP between 1974 and 1999. They are still being manufactured but I am uncertain which maker has the contract. The Alberta Boot Co. is making the Strathcona boots, so perhaps it is them. This pair was made by Hartt, likely in the 1990's. Early Hartt versions have nailed heels, and the current government specs call for nailed leather heels as well. For the true shoe nerds, here is a link to the government procurement doc. These are the boots with the insertion point for the swan neck spurs in the back of the heel block.

IMG_5837.jpg
IMG_5838.jpg
IMG_5839.jpg
IMG_5840.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot to note that the boots came in their original plain white box, affixed with this small label. Dacks/Hartt for certain.

IMG_5843.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up these really rare S.E. Dacks 330 Water Bison whole-cuts that just showed up on the @davidVC list. The vendor very generously agreed to a nice discount, so there will still be turkey on the table this Christmas. The S.E Dacks were made from 1952-1958 and were the highest quality Dacks offering. For those that are not aware, my avatar is a picture of old S.E. himself! This water bison whole-cut continued to be manufactured right up until the late 70's as part of the "Bespoke Quality" line that replaced the S.E. Dack line. For a brief period this style overlapped with the Kudu whole-cut, and then it faded from history.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that these are in my size 10.5D. Did I mention they are rare. You will see way more than a thousand pairs of Dacks for every pair of S.E Dacks. These will clean up wonderfully. Water Bison leather is virtually indestructible.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg

gorebug

Reaction score
I just picked up these really rare S.E. Dacks 330 Water Bison whole-cuts that just showed up on the @davidVC list. The vendor very generously agreed to a nice discount, so there will still be turkey on the table this Christmas. The S.E Dacks were made from 1952-1958 and were the highest quality Dacks offering. For those that are not aware, my avatar is a picture of old S.E. himself! This water bison whole-cut continued to be manufactured right up until the late 70's as part of the "Bespoke Quality" line that replaced the S.E. Dack line. For a brief period this style overlapped with the Kudu whole-cut, and then it faded from history.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that these are in my size 10.5D. Did I mention they are rare. You will see way more than a thousand pairs of Dacks for every pair of S.E Dacks. These will clean up wonderfully. Water Bison leather is virtually indestructible.

View attachment 1507759
I really like those whole-cuts - terrific score!

Dit_rich

Reaction score
Water Bison leather is virtually indestructible.
Love these! Water bison in brown is really fantastic. I recently thrifted a pair (NOT my size :-( ) and would agree with you - this leather can take a beating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads