• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A very cool pair of Hartt ventilated U-wing Oxfords on the Brentwood last were recently posted on Etsy. The vendor has them described as being from the 1940's, but they actually post date 1958, as that is when that sock-liner was introduced. Very cool shoes nevertheless. 13A......too bad.

il_794xN.2563826531_t14x.jpg
il_794xN.2563828837_raao.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received the 1920's/30's boots today that I purchased from an estate sale in Calgary last week; size 7.5D. They arrived in complete NOS condition, not even laced. The original laces had been passed through the first two eyelets and then fastened with a loose overhand loop put in place roughly 90 years ago. The laces have crimped metal aglets, pre-dating plastic. I believe the uppers may be kid and overall the leather is in fine supple condition with no cracks. I have hit them with two rounds of Bicks, and will continue to moisturiser every other day for a few weeks.

The boots were made expressly for J.D. Anderson, which was a high end woolen goods store in Banff, Alberta. I found a brief newspaper clipping indicating that they opened in 1911 and were known for carrying a selection of quality footwear. There are no markings suggesting who actually built the boots, although the fleur-de-lys on the Triumph heels might suggest a Quebec manufacturer.

Overall I am very pleased.

IMG_5012.jpg

IMG_5011.jpg

IMG_5015.jpg

IMG_5014.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brothers, I am going to drop off some footwear for Corey Hiltz in Barrie to repair.

Here is my review of him:

Corey Hiltz - cobbler in Barrie Ontario - Fix em up shoe repair
Today I finally made it to see Corey Hiltz, one of our esteemed local Canadian cobblers. So I live in Mississauga (population 600,000+) and work in Toronto (largest city in Canada). There is not a single reputable cobbler in those 2 cities who can fully recraft dress shoes with JR soles. The...
www.styleforum.net

He just found out today he won 2 silvers at an international shoe repair competition in Netherlands. He is also a silver medalist at a North American competition.

He is the only GTA based cobbler to win at either competition.

As a service to this thread, I am happy to drop off and pick up repairs for anyone else who is interested. I am going anyways. No charge.

I do live in Mississauga, so you will have to come meet me (McDonalds parking lot).

Corey does require upfront payment. So every one will have to speak to him, and arrange payments. I am only doing drop off and pick up, so people can save on shipping.

Please PM me if interested. I plan on going sometime this fall.

QUOTE REPLY

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I received a package of 32 letters sent to Deegan's Shoe store in North Bay Ontario, most in 1957, but a few from the 60's. I will post a few more if people are interested. They provide an interesting insight into the business from a retail perspective in the golden years of the industry.

Each of the the two letters presented below contains an interesting tidbit. The first from Scott & McHale is surprising in that it is dated May 1960. This is a full 10 months after the buyout by Savage and they are still using their old letterhead. There are two other earlier letters from Scott-McHale in the collection.

The second letter from Dacks in 1969 makes reference to the actual colour of the brown seal leather, which they called "biscuit". It is also interesting to know that the leather came from sealions, rather Harp seals, or some other species.

I am falling down the vintage shoe rabbit hole.......

IMG_5326.jpg
IMG_5327.jpg

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I received a package of 32 letters sent to Deegan's Shoe store in North Bay Ontario, most in 1957, but a few from the 60's. I will post a few more if people are interested. They provide an interesting insight into the business from a retail perspective in the golden years of the industry.

Each of the the two letters presented below contains an interesting tidbit. The first from Scott & McHale is surprising in that it is dated May 1960. This is a full 10 months after the buyout by Savage and they are still using their old letterhead. There are two other earlier letters from Scott-McHale in the collection.

The second letter from Dacks in 1969 makes reference to the actual colour of the brown seal leather, which they called "biscuit". It is also interesting to know that the leather came from sealions, rather Harp seals, or some other species.

I am falling down the vintage shoe rabbit hole.......

View attachment 1465346 View attachment 1465347

Am I right in reading that the Dack's letter was 11 pairs of the same style for one customer?

What on earth was he going to do with 7 identical pairs of sealion shoes?

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I right in reading that the Dack's letter was 11 pairs of the same style for one customer?

What on earth was he going to do with 7 identical pairs of sealion shoes?
1.) That would appear to be an order for a store rather than an individual customer.
2.) That type of behaviour would not be out of the question for many of us here on styleforum...

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1.) That would appear to be an order for a store rather than an individual customer.
2.) That type of behaviour would not be out of the question for many of us here on styleforum...
Oh if I could only order some Bombers from McHale. Or even go back in time and thrift shoes in the early 70's. Can you imagine what would have been on the racks!!

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stumbled across this page from an Eatons catalogue for Ritchie shoes. Based on the prices, as well as the presence of a U-wing, I would guess it is from the late 1940's. Boys we live in the wrong era.

If you click on an image you can read the text on the left.

Ritchie 1940's.JPG
Ritchies 1940s a.JPG
Ritchies 1940sb.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the first time I have seen a 3 digit style code with this sock-liner, which I believe came in around 1958/59, after the purchase of Hartt by Dacks. I bet these are a Toronto made pair. Lovely shoes. One of Dacks very best styles. It is nice to see them with the nailed heels.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A very cool pair of Hartt ventilated U-wing Oxfords on the Brentwood last were recently posted on Etsy. The vendor has them described as being from the 1940's, but they actually post date 1958, as that is when that sock-liner was introduced. Very cool shoes nevertheless. 13A......too bad.

View attachment 1462795 View attachment 1462796

I had a pair of these by Florsheim. Sorry I sold them because I had permanently cool feet in summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads