• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

COLONEL77

Reaction score
I have thoroughly enjoyed the history of Dack's (and other Canadian Shoe Brands) per posts from @Jiqea @Paul902 and @suitforcourt over the last couple of years! Now with the bonus of @COLONEL77 providing historical colour and going back and looking at the threads vintage ads, photos of NOS and expertly restored shoes a welcome distraction from voluntary isolation and working from home. Stay well everyone especially if you are out of country. @COLONEL77 are you back in Canada?

YES, AM HERE IN CANADA, HIDING OUT IN THE NORTHUMBERLAND HILLS IN " THE WILDS " OF ONTARIO, UNDER THE BED OR BEHIND THE SOFA, NOT ANSWERING ANY DOOR KNOCKING OR PHONE RINGING - THIS VIRUS WILL NEVER GET ME !!! - COLONEL77

COLONEL77

Reaction score
I gave a pair of these shoes, NOS with box, size 10.5EE, to my son last year. He loves them. Very fine shoes. I even gave him a pair of Dacks 150th Anniversary shoe trees and a mint 150th token for the full 1984 experience! View attachment 1362996

AM WONDERING IF YOU FELLOWS KNOW WHERE WE COULD OBTAIN TWO OF THE 150th ANNIVERSARY YEAR COINS AS CANNOT FIND THEM ANYWHERE NOW - ???

HISTORICALLY SPEAKING, IN THE CONFEDERATION YEAR OF 1967 " THE TORONTO TELEGRAM " NEWSPAPER WORKED UP VARIOUS HISTORICAL STORIES ONE OF WHICH LISTED THE TOP 10 ONGOING CONTINUING BUSINESSES STILL OPERATING WHERE THE HUDSON'S BAY COMPANY WAS FIRST, OF COURSE, WITH A NUMBER OF BANKS AND LIQUOR AND BEER OPERATIONS FOLLOWING AND THEN THERE WAS DACK'S AT # 7 - !!!!!

FOR DECADES I HAVE INCLUDED THAT MAGNIFICENT HISTORICAL FACT INTO ANY TALKS AS UNTIL THEY WERE CLOSED UP BY THOSE UNKNOWING U.S. DIMWITS THAT WAS QUITE SOMETHING FOR ANY COMPANY TO HANG THEIR HAT ON - COLONEL77

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do ask, but sadly many of those stores have closed over the past 10-15 years. But there is still a chance in small towns. No harm in trying.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some. Direct message me your address and I will drop them in the post.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up three nice pairs of 1960's Dacks shoe trees from @mariusscott. They are all my size (10D), and they will go a long way towards allowing me to have period correct shoe trees in all my personal Dack's shoes.

s-l1600.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up three nice pairs of 1960's Dacks shoe trees from @mariusscott. They are all my size (10D), and they will go a long way towards allowing me to have period correct shoe trees in all my personal Dack's shoes.

View attachment 1363448

I was on the fence about those!!!!!!!! I snooze, I lose.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1363448
Nice triplets!

I am lunching in Dack's prairie oxhide apron toe derbies. I normally take 9.5D, but 9D on this 84 last fits like the cat's pyjamas!

IMG_7708.JPG

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are house shoes that I got about 10 years ago for $43 at a liquidation store. Any idea when these were made?

View attachment 1363942

View attachment 1363943

View attachment 1363944
In restaurants they have "house red" and "house white." Now, we have "house black." Very nice. That sock liner started in 1957 and continued through the 80s. What is the coding inside the shoes, that might help narrow it a bit, but if they are late 50s or 60s they are remarkably well preserved! More likely towards the end of the run, imo.

Bjorling

Reaction score
Close up of the codes. Going to post some Uptown funk tomorrow.

1585690184784.png

Bjorling

Reaction score
Uptown monk straps, purchased about 2 years ago for $15. Is anyone able to date these, and the "House Black" shoes posted yesterday? thanks

1585754384924.png

1585754409589.png

1585754427397.png

1585754448549.png

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uptown monk straps, purchased about 2 years ago for $15. Is anyone able to date these, and the "House Black" shoes posted yesterday? thanks

View attachment 1364358

View attachment 1364359

View attachment 1364360

View attachment 1364361
The uptown line was relatively late, and geared towards the younger market. I am uncertain of the date range but I suspect that they all date after the 150th anniversary years (late 83-87), There was very little advertizing done in the last years of the company, so it is hard to get a handle on it. I have seen a few nice ones like yours, and I have seen more that were really quite poorly done. Somewhere way back in the first 25 pages of this thread I think they were discussed and it was "established" that they were at the bottom of the price ladder. I suspect that yours date early in the production range, based on the leather Goodyear welted soles and the Biltrite heels. Maybe someone else can chip in here as they very well might have been made even earlier than I suspect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads