• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Bjorling

Reaction score
Another pair of shoes purchased for $10, with vintage
1585326845523.png
1585326865242.png
1585326890938.png
trees.

1585326845523.png

1585326865242.png

1585326890938.png

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lovely Antelope whole cuts. The 331 are the descendants of the wonderful 330 water bison wholecuts of the 50's and 60's. Wonderful shoes. Let me know if you are listing them, 410 is my size and I would love to own a pair of these. I have the earlier water bison version. Great find.

Bjorling

Reaction score
Lovely Antelope whole cuts. The 331 are the descendants of the wonderful 330 water bison wholecuts of the 50's and 60's. Wonderful shoes. Let me know if you are listing them, 410 is my size and I would love to own a pair of these. I have the earlier water bison version. Great find.

They are nice and I love wearing them because whole cuts stand out so nicely from other shoes.

COLONEL77

Reaction score
@COLONEL77 Thank you so much for the detailed replies. There is so much interesting and fun info in there. I have been to The Toronto Hunt for a wedding. Even if you were not cycling on Hollywood Crescent, I am sure that you and Dad would have covered some of the same ground as he was all over that end of the city, cycling out to St. Michaels almost every day, playing through the Don Valley, and the Beaches right down to the waterfront, etc. As you say, it is worth sitting down with parents and grandparents to hear their stories and experiences. When my dad talks about stuff long past it is a pure treasure.

I think it is amazing that you have shoes that you built yourself over 60 years ago at age 12!! That is remarkable. Also very interesting to learn about the shoe salesmen using smaller sizes, and that there are exotic hide experimental shoes out there. It sounds like you have been very generous with your shoes over the years and there is, of course, a richness in that. Well done!

The mention of 6-day racing piqued my interest as I have also enjoyed cycling since my youth. I had never heard of this. A quick search online brought up this 6DayRacing website, dedicated to that history. They have an incomplete rider list. You should contact them with the info you know about your Dad's participation.

Here is a photo of my Dack's collection so far. They are arranged roughly from oldest to newest, starting with the SE Dack's water bison wholecuts that Jim posted earlier, up to some 150th Anniversary pairs at the right, and the Strathcona boots.

View attachment 1361081

MY FATHER COMPETED IN ALL SPORTS UNDER THE NAME ' ANTHONY HESELTON ' AS HE DID NOT WANT HIS PARENTS TO KNOW ALL THE DIFFERENT SPORTS ACTIVITIES AS THEY WOULD NOT HAVE APPROVED / FROWNED UPON SUCH EVEN THOUGH IN THOSE DAYS THEY NEEDED THE MONEY -

HE ACTUALLY STARTED WORK QUITE YOUNG AT ABOUT 10, LIKE ME, AS A MILKMAN ASSISTANT RIDING IN THE WAGON WHERE HIS JOB WAS TO DASH TO EACH DOOR, BRING BACK EMPTIES WITH THE NOTE, THEN THE MILKMAN WOULD CARRY THE HEAVY NEW ITEMS TO EACH DOOR AS THEY MOVED DOWN THE STREET - THE HORSE KNEW THE ROUTE SO WELL IT STOPPED IN FRONT OF EVERY HOUSE WHICH TOOK MILK -

HE WORKED FOR THE CALDER DAIRY AND STRANGELY I LATER WAS AT UPPER CANADA COLLEGE WITH THE GRANDSON OF THE OWNER WHO TOOK ME HOME ONE SUNDAY, AS I WAS A BOARDER AT THE SCHOOL, TO MEET HIS GRANDFATHER WHO SAID HE REMEMBERED MY FATHER, KNEW HE OWNED DACK'S AND WAS THE BEST MILK BOY THEY EVER HAD - NICE TO HEAR -

BEING A HISTORIAN / RESEARCHER / BIOGRAPHER, I SAVE EVERYTHING, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, WHETHER BUSINESS / MILITARIA / SPORTS / ETC./ AS I HAVE ALWAYS CONSIDERED THESE THINGS TO BE FAMILY HISTORY AND ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO DO SAME AS THAT IS A WHOLE OTHER ASPECT TO A LIFE OVER AND ABOVE AND BEYOND WHAT DIES WITH US WHEN OUR BRAIN SHUTS DOWN -

AS FAR AS I KNOW ALL SHOE SALESMEN CARRIED SAME PRETTY MUCH IDENTICAL BLACK HARD CASES WHERE SHOES OVER SIZE 8 / 9 MIGHT NOT FIT PROPERLY INTO SLOTS - BY THE WAY THEY ONLY CARRIED ONE SHOE OF EACH STYLE SO A SALESMAN MIGHT HAVE ALL RIGHTS AND ANOTHER SALESMAN WOULD HAVE ALL LEFTS WHICH LATER ON WENT BACK TOGETHER WHEN SOME WERE REMOVED TO MAKE WAY FOR NEWLY ADDED STYLES - THAT WAS ONE THING I TOOK CARE OF IN THE OFFICE IN KEEPING TRACK OF THOSE PLUS WE HAD THREE SHOWROOMS FOR DACK'S / HARTT / CHURCH SHOES WHICH WERE AGAIN JUST RIGHTS OR LEFTS ON DISPLAY WITH OTHERS IN COMPARTMENTS BELOW TO KEEP THEM TOGETHER - THESE WERE LATER SOLD IN THE ATTACHED OUTLET STORE FOR REDUCED PRICES -

ARE YOU INVOLVED IN ANY FORM OF MANUFACTURING BUSINESS AS IF SO YOU WOULD KNOW THAT AN ITEM MADE FOR $ 1.00 NORMALLY WHOLESALES FOR $ 2.00 THEN RETAILS FOR $ 4.00 SO IT WAS NOT ANY MAJOR FINANCIAL OUTLAY FOR US TO GIVE SHOES AWAY TO PEOPLE WHO WERE WORTHY / CHARITIES / FRIENDS / ETC. ... OF COURSE PEOPLE ALL APPRECIATED RECEIVING AN $ 80.00 PAIR OF DACK'S / HARTT'S, RIGHT ?!?!? -

THAT IS A VERY NICE DISPLAY WHICH WOULD IMAGINE YOU ARE QUITE PROUD OF SO GOOD FOR YOU SEEKING THESE OUT - HAVE ONLY EVER BEEN IN ONE " VALUE VILLAGE " AND DID NOT SEE ANY DECENTLY MADE VINTAGE SHOES ALTHOUGH WELL KNOW ONE WOULD HAVE TO VISIT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE AS THRIFT STORE ITEMS ARRIVE DAILY AND DEPART JUST AS RAPIDLY - COLONEL77

COLONEL77

Reaction score
I did not know that about Grenson - Dacks. The pair of Made in England Dacks I posted have the same lettering used in Cheaney. The only pair of Grenson I have uses a different font.

FORGOT TO ASK IF YOU ARE RELATED TO JUSSI BJORLING ??? -

AT TIMES HIS MUSIC IS PLAYED ON OUR REGIONAL RADIO STATION IN CAMPBELLFORD - 93.7 FM - IF YOU ARE EVER DRIVING THROUGH THE TRENT HILLS REGION.

-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jussi_Björling -- - COLONEL77

WillP

Reaction score
Did Dack’s ever glue into their soles on and not do a goodyear welt or blake stitch during the 90’s on their custom line? I have a couple pair where I can’t see the stitching on the welt or inside the shoe. Unless they did a blind stitch (which I doubt) I’m thinking they were just glued on. Maybe a re-sole?
30F042CD-2EE2-4B27-98C3-6E06480227C3.jpeg
1089E0A4-ED32-42B4-BB5D-1AB33EDCA7BA.jpeg
97761107-096F-4385-8E94-EF42F609665D.jpeg

Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have collected electronic images of Dack's newspaper advertizements from the early 1920's through to the 80's. My favourite by far are the "Shoes of the Month" ads from the 1950's. Over the decade these ads illustrated most, but not all, of the Custom Grade offerings.

As a group of collectors we are a little hamstrung in that we have not been able to find Dack's or Hartt catalogues, although the newspaper ads have helped fill in many gaps in our knowledge. The Toronto public library has two catalogs from the 30's. They must be out there. We just need to keep looking.

1955 The Clyde.JPG
1955 The Saratoga.JPG

Bjorling

Reaction score
FORGOT TO ASK IF YOU ARE RELATED TO JUSSI BJORLING ??? -

AT TIMES HIS MUSIC IS PLAYED ON OUR REGIONAL RADIO STATION IN CAMPBELLFORD - 93.7 FM - IF YOU ARE EVER DRIVING THROUGH THE TRENT HILLS REGION.

-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jussi_Björling -- - COLONEL77

I'm not related to Jussi but he is my favourite tenor and I have far more of his recordings than I do Dacks shoes!

PatrickS

Reaction score
I have thoroughly enjoyed the history of Dack's (and other Canadian Shoe Brands) per posts from @Jiqea @Paul902 and @suitforcourt over the last couple of years! Now with the bonus of @COLONEL77 providing historical colour and going back and looking at the threads vintage ads, photos of NOS and expertly restored shoes a welcome distraction from voluntary isolation and working from home. Stay well everyone especially if you are out of country. @COLONEL77 are you back in Canada?

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

COLONEL77

Reaction score
I have collected electronic images of Dack's newspaper advertizements from the early 1920's through to the 80's. My favourite by far are the "Shoes of the Month" ads from the 1950's. Over the decade these ads illustrated most, but not all, of the Custom Grade offerings.

As a group of collectors we are a little hamstrung in that we have not been able to find Dack's or Hartt catalogues, although the newspaper ads have helped fill in many gaps in our knowledge. The Toronto public library has two catalogs from the 30's. They must be out there. We just need to keep looking.

View attachment 1362436 View attachment 1362437

WITH RESPECT TO DACK'S / HARTT / CHURCH CATALOGUES HAVE ANY OF YOU FELLOWS GONE INTO OLDER, LONGER ESTABLISHED SHOE STORES TO SEE IF THEY MIGHT STILL HAVE THEIR CATALOGUES UNDER COUNTERS / IN DRAWERS / UP ON A SHELF / ETC. - ???

AM THINKING YOU MIGHT JUST FIND SOMETHING IN VISITING ENOUGH STORES IN YOUR TRAVELS -

WILL START ASKING AROUND IN THE SMALL TOWNS AROUND THIS SOUTHERN / EASTERN REGION AS THE WORST THAT MIGHT HAPPEN IS WHERE SOME MIGHT HAVE A CATALOGUE OR TWO THEY WISH TO KEEP BUT MIGHT ALLOW YOU TO PHOTOCOPY - ???

LET ME KNOW THOUGHTS ON THIS SUGGESTION AS IT MAY HAVE ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED PREVIOUSLY BEFORE I REFOUND THIS NEWLY FORMATTED GROUP OF PAGES - COLONEL77

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads