• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am on a constant lookout for vintage Dack's, Florsheim, Hartt's and Church's due to this forum and collectively all the advice and observations make for education and entertainment! I have a quandary are these vintage or more recent since they are Made in Canada I thought they would be prior to the move to British manufacturing?
View attachment 1342497
View attachment 1342498
View attachment 1342499
Made in Canada post 1987. Likely from the 90's. I need to pin down when that New Brunswick stamp was used.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am on a constant lookout for vintage Dack's, Florsheim, Hartt's and Church's due to this forum and collectively all the advice and observations make for education and entertainment! I have a quandary are these vintage or more recent since they are Made in Canada I thought they would be prior to the move to British manufacturing?
View attachment 1342497
View attachment 1342498
View attachment 1342499
Patrick, @Jiqea has an excellent guide to Dack's sock liner dating posted maybe 10-20 pages back. A search will turn it up for you.

I have always felt the NB stamp was very late production. I see it in conjunction with the more padded insole arches, and the most pristine finds. There are examples of this same liner logo and padded arch, and the sole stamped with a maple leaf but marked Canada, not NB Canada, as with these PTBs I have. These have a fairly uncommon heel, too, which may be a dating clue.

PF1_3751.JPG PF1_3758.JPG PF1_3816.JPG

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week was the winter of my discontent, at least with regard to thrifting. However this week has started out as the best of times.

While the shelves were in disarray from the Sunday shoppers, this pair of 1970's NOS Hartt Gold Bonds plain-toe derbys (11.5D) nearly jumped into my arms. They are a very heavy shoe with nice thick scotch grain calf. I also found a pair of rare as unicorn crap Hartt cap-toe boots that I will post after I get them cleaned up. A Dickens of a start to the week in Gloucester!

IMG_3819.jpg
IMG_3820.jpg
IMG_3821.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well here are the boots I mentioned in my last post. They were built by Hartt or Dacks, as they have the characteristic coding and the Custom Grade Made in Canada stamp on the sole. The sock liners are original but unmarked, making me think this may have been a Police boot. They are very well made with 12 nail double soles and the lower boot is entirely leather lined. Size 11.5D. I suspect these boots are at least from the 70's.

IMG_3826.jpg
IMG_3827.jpg
IMG_3829.jpg
clip.jpg

lbgradwell

Reaction score
While the shelves were in disarray from the Sunday shoppers, this pair of 1970's NOS Hartt Gold Bonds plain-toe derbys (11.5D) nearly jumped into my arms. They are a very heavy shoe with nice thick scotch grain calf.

Made in England?

mackbrad

Reaction score
Well here are the boots I mentioned in my last post. They were built by Hartt or Dacks, as they have the characteristic coding and the Custom Grade Made in Canada stamp on the sole. The sock liners are original but unmarked, making me think this may have been a Police boot. They are very well made with 12 nail double soles and the lower boot is entirely leather lined. Size 11.5D. I suspect these boots are at least from the 70's.

View attachment 1343433 View attachment 1343434 View attachment 1343435 View attachment 1343436
These are gobstopping

Dit_rich

Reaction score
I agree with @Jiqea that they are not camel, but I think they are prairie oxhide, not calf, especially because of the way there are dark grain ripples on the toe piece. To wit, my own Bond St are not marked as exotics, either. Here are some pics with the similar coding, for comparison. Show us some more pics after you've finished treating them, please. Enjoy!
Coming back to these. Here they are after some love and a LOT of conditioning applied (glycerin treatment, two rounds of Lexol and one of Venetian balm, also used Lexol cleaner which is a kind of a conditioner). I called them semi-seriously as a camel ones, mostly because of the color. I do think they are not calf because of the leather pattern, but I am not an expert and English codes are a mystery to me. Also even after that much of treatment the leather remained somewhat stiff, not calf like...
...Missed the picture when it says Made in England on the insole, but it's there...
20200225_174155.jpg
20200225_174134.jpg
20200225_174416.jpg
20200225_174330.jpg
20200225_174257.jpg
20200225_174234.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming back to these. Here they are after some love and a LOT of conditioning applied (glycerin treatment, two rounds of Lexol and one of Venetian balm, also used Lexol cleaner which is a kind of a conditioner). I called them semi-seriously as a camel ones, mostly because of the color. I do think they are not calf because of the leather pattern, but I am not an expert and English codes are a mystery to me. Also even after that much of treatment the leather remained somewhat stiff, not calf like...
...Missed the picture when it says Made in England on the insole, but it's there...
View attachment 1344305 View attachment 1344306 View attachment 1344307 View attachment 1344308 View attachment 1344309 View attachment 1344310
Much improved! I think they are some sort of bison; exotic for sure and not calf. I will do an archive search on Cheaney tomorrow and see if I can come up with a name. Fine looking shoes. For some reason I have found moving apron toes a bit of a struggle. I like them, and if they had split toes they would be even better.

Dit_rich

Reaction score
For some reason I have found moving apron toes a bit of a struggle.
I was skeptical myself picking them up but kind of developed a likening at list working on them. Feel sorry I have no reason to keep them. But I see what you mean.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads