• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Dit_rich

Reaction score
Crocodiles can jump too!
LOL
What about these? Dack's Bond street made in England, marked "D/E 7659A 80, 44471". Camel?
20200222_155253.jpg

nikolau

Reaction score
I have had several pairs and wore them into the ground. IMO they are a very well made shoe, based on vintage Dacks designs. I only stopped buying them when I realized what great values I could find in the vintage world.

Welcome to the discussion.

Thank you! As an American resident I don’t have the access your Canadian thrift sources of choice for vintage Dacks, and they don’t seem to come up too often. The only ones currently listed on eBay that can he had in my size are these Kangaroo Chelsea’s and these Vintage Longwings. Alas, it looks like I might have to wait a long while before I can pick up a vintage pair of Canadian Dacks, but they seem to be 20th century shoemaker of note akin (at least in their demise) to Florsheim or Allen Edmonds.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t mean to detract from the ongoing conversation of vintage Dacks, but wanted to inquire as to people’s expectations/experience of their current offerings (particularly the Dufferin). They are supposedly bench-made in England on the same lasts as the classic, and come with a hearty looking storm welt to boot. Priced at a small premium over the AE MacNeil, I was curious what folks’ experience of them happens to be.

View attachment 1342175
I have had several pairs and wore them into the ground. IMO they are a very well made shoe, based on vintage Dacks designs. I only stopped buying them when I realized what great values I could find in the vintage world.

Welcome to the discussion.

The current Matthew Dacks are made by Joseph Cheaney of England. Shoes are very well made though they tend to use a lot of corrected grain or polished leather, as they call it.

For the price, I agree with @Jiqea that the vintage ones are much better value.

I bought a few pairs of the Cheaney made models right before they went bankrupt. I didn't know my size so I only kept one pair. They are 12 years old, and still going strong after a cobbler rebuilt them.

You can find some Canadian made Dacks on ebay from time to time.

You can also leave your size here. Some of us would be happy to proxy a pair or two.

nikolau

Reaction score
You can find some Canadian made Dacks on ebay from time to time.

You can also leave your size here. Some of us would be happy to proxy a pair or two.

Thank you, I guess I’ll need to be on the lookout for a vintage pair.

I’m a 13E on a brannock device. I have shoes in the 46-47 range, depending on the last. 46.5 in either a US-equivalent E or on a wide last usually works well for me.

I’d happily accept your offer of someone proxying a pair or two, if they’re up for it and come across something.

I’ve been on a bus the last several hours traveling North West into what Canadians would call “light winter” and what I would consider “bitter cold” and stumbled upon this thread. Beautiful shoes with an interesting heritage.

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’m a 13E on a brannock device. I have shoes in the 46-47 range, depending on the last. 46.5 in either a US-equivalent E or on a wide last usually works well for me.

I’d happily accept your offer of someone proxying a pair or two, if they’re up for it and come across something.

I’ve been on a bus the last several hours traveling North West into what Canadians would call “light winter” and what I would consider “bitter cold” and stumbled upon this thread. Beutiful shoes with an interesting heritage.

You are likely a 13F or 13G for Dacks. Hard size to find!

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’ve been on a bus the last several hours traveling North West into what Canadians would call “light winter” and what I would consider “bitter cold” and stumbled upon this thread. Beautiful shoes with an interesting heritage.
I thrifted a very nice pair of McHale 13EE cap-toes not long ago. McHale was Canada's premier shoe-maker IMO.

Dit_rich

Reaction score
I don't believe those to be camel. Pretty much all camel Dacks say genuine camel on the sock-liner. They did make that shoe in camel.
I hoped ((. They only have this undecodable - for me - Cheaney codes.
Well, I picked them cheap and enjoying planning with them anyway (just rapped them in glycerin).

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is an very early liner. Note the primitive lettering and depiction of an ancient arrowhead. I have seen a similar example on the cave walls at Lascaux. I believe the shoes were genuine aurochs leather.

:) Here is the other shoe for you...

PF1_3846.JPG

I don’t mean to detract from the ongoing conversation of vintage Dacks, but wanted to inquire as to people’s expectations/experience of their current offerings (particularly the Dufferin). They are supposedly bench-made in England on the same lasts as the classic, and come with a hearty looking storm welt to boot. Priced at a small premium over the AE MacNeil, I was curious what folks’ experience of them happens to be.

View attachment 1342175

I would love to see more discussion of current Dack's, Hartt's, Viberg, etc. It seems that most of us here are into the vintage for their value proposition, but we are lacking in the new stuff. If you think 13.5D would fit, shoot me a PM. In any case, welcome aboard the Canbus!

I hoped ((. They only have this undecodable - for me - Cheaney codes.
Well, I picked them cheap and enjoying planning with them anyway (just rapped them in glycerin).

I agree with @Jiqea that they are not camel, but I think they are prairie oxhide, not calf, especially because of the way there are dark grain ripples on the toe piece. To wit, my own Bond St are not marked as exotics, either. Here are some pics with the similar coding, for comparison. Show us some more pics after you've finished treating them, please. Enjoy!

IMG_4806.JPG IMG_7516.JPG IMG_7517.JPG

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1342466

I would love to see more discussion of current Dack's, Hartt's, Viberg, etc. It seems that most of us here are into the vintage for their value proposition, but we are lacking in the new stuff. If you think 13.5D would fit, shoot me a PM. In any case, welcome aboard the Canbus!

I agree with @Jiqea that they are not camel, but I think they are prairie oxhide, not calf, especially because of the way there are dark grain ripples on the toe piece. To wit, my own Bond St are not marked as exotics, either. Here are some pics with the similar coding, for comparison. Show us some more pics after you've finished treating them, please. Enjoy!

View attachment 1342471 View attachment 1342473 View attachment 1342474
Those Hartts date between 1958 and 1968.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Hartts date between 1958 and 1968.

Wow, I did not realize that liner ended that early. The slightly nautical shape of the toe and the quality leather supports that, though. They also had a cloth label inside the heel, but it is now gone with the factory. Did Hartt ever use nails on the sole in Custom Grades? These don't have it.

PF1_3831.JPG PF1_3842.JPG PF1_3844.JPG PF1_3836.JPG

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I did not realize that liner ended that early. The slightly nautical shape of the toe and the quality leather supports that, though. They also had a cloth label inside the heel, but it is now gone with the factory. Did Hartt ever use nails on the sole in Custom Grades? These don't have it.

View attachment 1342492 View attachment 1342493 View attachment 1342494 View attachment 1342495
Yes Hartts used nails, but only on the double soled shoes. Right up to the mid-80's on a few shoes.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1342466

View attachment 1342471 View attachment 1342473 View attachment 1342474
I love the grain of prairie oxhide!

PatrickS

Reaction score
I am on a constant lookout for vintage Dack's, Florsheim, Hartt's and Church's due to this forum and collectively all the advice and observations make for education and entertainment! I have a quandary are these vintage or more recent since they are Made in Canada I thought they would be prior to the move to British manufacturing?
Dack's Black Oxford.jpg

Dack's Black Oxford Lining.jpg

Dack's Black Oxford Sole.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads