• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a nice pair of John McHales arrive today from France, where they were no doubt worn by an expatriate Canadian, shuffling along the streets of Paris, humming Les Feuilles Mortes and thinking of his lost summer love.

Like many of these shoes they had too much dark brown polish on them, so I removed that with Renomat, washed, moisterized and then gave them a light polish. They have the Custom Shoe sock-liner and likely date to the late 60's. A size 12D and heavy!!!!

View attachment 1332982 View attachment 1332983 View attachment 1332984

Are you looking to sell? A friend is looking for this very pair. Will PM you.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received this lovely pair of black cap-toe, triple soled John McHale Oxfords, via Forum members @goatamous and @Paul902 this week. They are marked mid-shoe on the insoles as John McHales, but the sock-liner reads "Scott Elmes, Hand Sewn". Scott Elmes was one of the proprietors of Owens-Elmes, a very high end retailer/manufacturer of leather goods in Toronto, dating back to 1919. The soles of the shoes are stamped Owens-Elmes near the heel. Owens-Elmes primarily dealt in woman's shoes, gloves, purses etc, but also carried a line of quality men's shoes.

I believe the shoes date to the late 1940's, as McHale only advertised "Hand Sewn" with regard to their John McHale shoes between 1946 and 1949. As well the large metal eyelets are typical of the John McHale offerings from these years. The first advertisement for the John McHale signature shoes date to 1944, shortly after the passing of Francis Scott (of Scott-McHale).

I am cleaning some goop off the insoles left by some old foam inserts, and should have photos to add soon. I will also have more to post on Owens-Elmes and John McHale early next week. Something rather quite remarkable. Stay tuned.

IMG_3589.jpg
IMG_3590.jpg
IMG_3591.jpg
IMG_3588.jpg

Dit_rich

Reaction score
What a week this was! Thrifted Florsheim (made in India but in ONS condition), then AE Strandmok (hardly worn, but need some work on painted finish AE use on these) and today Salvation Army surprised me with these Dacks. All three are in my size, keepers.
Dacks right off the self, uncleaned yet.
PHOTO_20200208_150700.jpg
PHOTO_20200208_150820.jpg
PHOTO_20200208_150549.jpg
PHOTO_20200208_150606.jpg
PHOTO_20200208_150633.jpg
Looking forward to get them cleaned and conditioned and shiny again. )))

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a week this was! Thrifted Florsheim (made in India but in ONS condition), then AE Strandmok (hardly worn, but need some work on painted finish AE use on these) and today Salvation Army surprised me with these Dacks. All three are in my size, keepers.
Dacks right off the self, uncleaned yet.
View attachment 1333586 View attachment 1333587 View attachment 1333588 View attachment 1333589 View attachment 1333590 Looking forward to get them cleaned and conditioned and shiny again. )))
My size too!!!!

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any information concerning Dacks prior to 1920 is hard to come buy. While Robert Dack ran a successful business manufacturing and retailing high end men's footwear, he was not active in industry associations, nor did he advertize his products in newspaper or magazines. This changed in a major way when S.E Dack took over the firm in 1920. He started a major national advertizing campaign and by 1923 Dacks had opened stores in Montreal and Winnipeg.

Because of the paucity of pre-1920 information concerning the company, it makes this 1915 photo of the Dack's storefront and factory and 71-73 King Street West in Toronto a very rare find indeed. Enjoy!

Dacks 1915 Store.JPG

LLEE

Reaction score
Anyone ever see a pair of original Dack’s that wasn’t Goodyear welted? I have a pair I’m selling, and i would feel terrible if they weren’t welted if I claim they are.
Made in Fredricton, no discernible stitch, but I just can’t see them going the cemented route, even in the 90s.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever see a pair of original Dack’s that wasn’t Goodyear welted? I have a pair I’m selling, and i would feel terrible if they weren’t welted if I claim they are.
Made in Fredricton, no discernible stitch, but I just can’t see them going the cemented route, even in the 90s.

I have seen that quite a bit with loafers, and seldomly with lace-ups, too. Here, for example, is a pair of kangaroo derbies, quite early Bespokes, that are not GYW. I think they would have done this when they were looking for a very elegant design aesthetic, without a prominent welt. An antidote to McHale Bomber's, if you will.

Good on you for working for an accurate sales listing!

PF1_2175.JPG PF1_2180.JPG PF1_2181.JPG

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet! In the left shoe, is that a window with the Dack's logo? Are you lucky enough to be a 9.5D? Send me a PM if you are selling, please.
Yes indeed, it's a window. Unfortunately, I'm a 10.5 F/EE in most Dack's I've tried so they're available. PM incoming!

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting little tidbit from a 1915 Shoe Journal that speaks to the invention of the shoe box in Canada 35 years earlier.

View attachment 1333863
That is very cool! I had no idea. Speaking of boxes, yesterday I received my first original Dack's shoe box. Unfortunately, the shoes inside were not as described. Not prairie but rather grainy calf, and not 9.5D, but rather 9.5E, so they will have to move on. Nice triple leather resole, however! If anyone ever finds a 9.5D 05452 Simcoe, please holler! Anyway, back to the box...cool to see the design, the handbenching logo, and the care description inside the lid.

IMG_7404.JPG

IMG_7408.JPG
IMG_7407.JPG
IMG_7406.JPG
IMG_7399.JPG

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is very cool! I had no idea. Speaking of boxes, yesterday I received my first original Dack's shoe box. Unfortunately, the shoes inside were not as described. Not prairie but rather grainy calf, and not 9.5D, but rather 9.5E, so they will have to move on. Nice triple leather resole, however! If anyone ever finds a 9.5D 05452 Simcoe, please holler! Anyway, back to the box...cool to see the design, the handbenching logo, and the care description inside the lid.

View attachment 1335075

A little wrinkled, but I believe these are the bags the go with your box. I bet we can find the shoes too.

IMG_3603.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads