• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Paul92! I know it's been a while but what leather are these made of?
I just thrifted an exact copy in Hartt's
brand and can't place them ... The texture seems to be smoother than camel ones posted here.

Post pics. Maybe water bison?

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

13.5D on the soles, 14 printed inside the shaft. My customer on these just fit perfectly into some Crown Windsor 13 EEE/E, and when he can't get a wide forefoot he goes 14. So, it will be interesting to see if these fit him.

Hi Paul92! I know it's been a while but what leather are these made of?
I just thrifted an exact copy in Hartt's
brand and can't place them ... The texture seems to be smoother than camel ones posted here.
Hi Dit_rich. @Jiqea and I were just emailing about these a few days ago and he posited sanded water bison. That sounds so cool I am do not incline to argue. As Ken says, let's see 'em!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
13.5D on the soles, 14 printed inside the shaft. My customer on these just fit perfectly into some Crown Windsor 13 EEE/E, and when he can't get a wide forefoot he goes 14. So, it will be interesting to see if these fit him.

Hi Dit_rich. I think the uppers on these are basic calf with some old age wrinkles. I also have a pair of newer Boulet's (11.5F) and the description on Boulet's site for 9304's calls those "Malibu Leather Shiny." I would be surprised if the RCMP spec'd them in anything exotic. Let's have a look at yours!

Now I know where to send my 13eee! My brother wears that size, but not a shoe enthusiast. I bought him a pair of shell AE MacNeils that he didn't take to. I was able to recover some of my costs.

Let me know if your friend can fit into them.

Dit_rich

Reaction score
Hi Dit_rich. @Jiqea and I were just emailing about these a few days ago and he posited sanded water bison. That sounds so cool I am do not incline to argue. As Ken says, let's see 'em!

Absolutly! Here they are. As I said exactly as the ones you posted just Hartt. The leather is just a little bit waivery, specially at the sides. And that coloring... I just love it.
20200126_175608.jpg
20200126_175655.jpg
20200126_175715.jpg
20200126_180013.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutly! Here they are. As I said exactly as the ones you posted just Hartt. The leather is just a little bit waivery, specially at the sides. And that coloring... I just love it.
View attachment 1325074 View attachment 1325075 View attachment 1325076 View attachment 1325077
We have kicked this around before. Dack's and Hartt advertized these shoes (Bond Street and Gold Bond) in 1986, although they make no mention of the leather type. I have speculated that it might be some type of sanded exotic, perhaps water bison. Regardless, it is one of my favourites. I just sold a pair this weekend.

Dit_rich

Reaction score
We have kicked this around before. Dack's and Hartt advertized these shoes (Bond Street and Gold Bond) in 1986, although they make no mention of the leather type. I have speculated that it might be some type of sanded exotic, perhaps water bison. Regardless, it is one of my favourites. I just sold a pair this weekend.
Thank you gents! Water bison sounds exotic enough for me even non-confirmed -)). Really appreciate the input.
These ones are a little bit tight for me but I do hope to be able to stretch/brake them in a bit.

Dit_rich

Reaction score
Couldn't stop myself from picking up these Dacks at VV today. Even though they are obviously too big for me ))
Have no idea which period they are from, what kind of leather it is (says "hand waxed finish" though) or if they worth anything.
Very heavy ones. I used kitchen scale and they showed 850 grams each.
Can anyone give a good advise as to how to treat this "hand waxed" surfaces?
20200128_172602.jpg
20200128_172620.jpg
20200128_172912.jpg
20200128_172956.jpg

The Apostle

Reaction score
Thank you gents! Water bison sounds exotic enough for me even non-confirmed -)). Really appreciate the input.
These ones are a little bit tight for me but I do hope to be able to stretch/brake them in a bit.
Might have been to me. ?

The Apostle

Reaction score
Damnit... Meant to quote this post.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1325074 View attachment 1325075 View attachment 1325076 View attachment 1325077

They look super nice! There are metal shoe stretchers and solution that can "improve" either the overall length, width, or even a small bunion area. You could get another 1/2 size out of these if you need. Sometimes I see wooden versions at VV. They look like a shoe tree but with a large threaded rod in them. Your cobbler should have this, too.

Couldn't stop myself from picking up these Dacks at VV today. Even though they are obviously too big for me ))
Have no idea which period they are from, what kind of leather it is (says "hand waxed finish" though) or if they worth anything.
Very heavy ones. I used kitchen scale and they showed 850 grams each.
Can anyone give a good advise as to how to treat this "hand waxed" surfaces? View attachment 1326306 View attachment 1326307 View attachment 1326309 View attachment 1326310

I would have picked those up, too. Classic PTBs, and just look at those triple soles! Gorgeous shoe. It would be calf leather with a waxy finish. Treatment would be similar to polished binder, I would expect, but have to admit I am not an expert on how to treat it.

Dit_rich

Reaction score
You could get another 1/2 size out of these if you need. Sometimes I see wooden versions at VV. They look like a shoe tree but with a large threaded rod in them. Your cobbler should have these too.
Thank you! I got myself a pair of plastic stretchers out of Amazon. Quite cheap but they turned out to be of decent quality and strong. Will see what I can get with them.
As to a cobbler, I am still looking for one in Vancouver area. Google reviews are not very promising for any of them so far.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I got myself a pair of plastic stretchers out of Amazon. Quite cheap but they turned out to be of decent quality and strong. Will see what I can get with them.
As to a cobbler, I am still looking for one in Vancouver area. Google reviews are not very promising for any of them so far.
@suitforcourt is your in-house expert on quality cobblers across the nation. Reach out to him, or look for his cobbler review thread(s) here on SF. Good luck!

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before I send them away, here is a look at the 1950s Macfarlane 1/4 Wellingtons in full dress regalia, with regulation nickel plated dress spurs for Officer's Mess. So much awesome!! #Cockofthewalk!

PF1_3173.JPG
PF1_3174.JPG
PF1_3175.JPG
PF1_3176.JPG

Attachments

• PF1_3173.JPG
    PF1_3173.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 4
  • PF1_3174.JPG
    PF1_3174.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 2
  • PF1_3175.JPG
    PF1_3175.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 4
  • PF1_3176.JPG
    PF1_3176.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 3

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads