• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Triple made in Canada finds over the weekend.

View attachment 1322843

Florsheim oxhide(?) faux long wings (7.5)

Dacks water buffalo loafer 9 - I’m assuming 70s vintage by the insole and sewn-in Dacks tag.

Unknown maker 2-eye blucher in what I believe is seal. Sock liner is worn smooth and the nail pattern in the sole is unfamiliar so i don't have many clues to go on (same size and identical Bilt-rite heel as the Dacks above, so assume they were donated together).

Are you selling them? Can you show numbering for the seal pair? If 9F or 9G, I'll buy them.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1322843

Dacks water buffalo loafer 9 - I’m assuming 70s vintage by the insole and sewn-in Dacks tag.

Unknown maker 2-eye blucher in what I believe is seal. Sock liner is worn smooth and the nail pattern in the sole is unfamiliar so i don't have many clues to go on (same size and identical Bilt-rite heel as the Dacks above, so assume they were donated together).
That is a great weekend, The loafers are from the 60's based on the liner logo. I have those identical seal shoes, and they are by Church. The Dacks seal shoes had a slightly rounder toe. The long wings are my favourite of the 3. Can you see teh style coding? Can you picture the soles and heels. I don't think they are Dacks or Hartt. Great finds!

View attachment 1322843

That is a great weekend, The loafers are from the 60's based on the liner logo. I have those identical seal shoes, and they are by Church. The Dacks seal shoes had a slightly rounder toe. The long wings are my favourite of the 3. Can you see the style coding? Can you picture the soles and heels. I don't think they are Dacks or Hartt. Great finds!

View attachment 1322843

That is a great weekend, The loafers are from the 60's based on the liner logo. I have those identical seal shoes, and I think yours are by Church. The interior coding will tell the tale. I think the Dacks seal shoes had a slightly rounder toe. The long wings are my favourite of the 3. Can you see the style coding? Can you picture the soles and heels. I don't think they are Dacks or Hartt. Great finds!

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1322843

Nice finds, Gorebug, and pleased to meet you. I have found/sold some of those Florsheim faux longwings, and I have an identical pair by McHale for myself. They are one of my most favourite pairs!

IMG_5602.JPG

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tracked down some primary source material regarding John Joseph McHale and the transition from Scott-Chamberlain to Scott-McHale. The photo and biographical info regarding John McHale is from the April 1st, 1922 Shoe & Leather Journal. The two photos of F.S. Scott are from the January 1919 issue. He was the first President of the Shoe Manufacturers Association of Canada. Also attached are three of the first Scott-McHale adverts. I was particularly pleased to find a photo of the young John McHale! The biographical information resolved several questions I had concerning McHale's origins.

JJ McHale April 1, 1922.JPG

F.S Scott, 1920.JPG

Scott 1919 pres.JPG

shoeandleatherjour1922_0429.jpg
shoeandleatherjour1922_0563.jpg
shoeandleatherjour1923_0369.jpg

Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to share these pictures of what your new Scott-Chamberlin Astorias would look like in 1920, fresh out of the box. I wonder if somewhere in some dusty attic there are some of these still in existence. The great-grandfather of @Paul902 can be seen in the background checking his stock listings, while his grandfather is holding the shoe in the second image.

Scott-Camberlain 1920 ad.jpg

paul 1920.jpg

Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found the source of some of the material that ended up on the Japanese NOS W/Box shoe blog regarding the origins of Scott-McHale. It came from the City of Cambridge Hall of Fame, to which Francis S Scott was posthumously inducted in 2000. Here is his entry along with a photo of the Getty-Scott factory, which still stands!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Described as "one of Galt's most outstanding men in point of public service and industrial development", Francis Stewart Scott was born in Galt on 23 Aug 1879. He was the grandson of James Scott and the son of Frank A. Scott, a local contractor and planning mill operator, and Mary Stewart. Mr Scott graduated from the Galt Collegiate Institute and started his industrial career in 1897 when he went to work for the Galt Knitting Co. He remained there until 1899 when he went into partnership with Edwin J. Getty in the shoe manufacturing business. In 1906 the firm of Getty & Scott Shoe Co. Ltd was incorporated and in 1912 Mr Scott became the sole proprietor when he acquired Mr Getty's interests in the company, which then became the Scott Shoe Co. The company produced "The Classic Shoe", a product recognized throughout Canada. At about this time, he acquired an interest in and became president of Scott-Chamberlain Ltd, later Scott-McHale Ltd, shoe manufacturers in London, Ontario.

In 1911, Mr Scott became one of the founders and a member of the first Board of Directors of Canadian Motors Ltd. That first year, the company produced a reliable car that compared favourably with its American competitors. Unfortunately the company did not have the home grown engineering expertise required to keep pace with improvements introduced by the American giants and, with orders drying up, the company was forced to close. Its assets were sold to the Galt Motor Co., a small local company that then began production of the gas/electric powered "Galt" car.

Mr Scott was a member of the Galt municipal council serving as a councillor in 1907 and 1908, as reeve from 1909 to 1911 and as mayor in 1912 and 1913. He was also a member of Waterloo County council from 1908 to 1911 and was Waterloo County reeve in 1910 and 1911. Mr Scott played an important part in the inauguration and development of the hydro-electric system in this area and in Ontario. During the early years of development of electrical power in the province, Mr Scott spoke in many places in Ontario at the request of Sir Adam Beck, the head of the Ontario Hydro Electric Commission. With George Hancock Jr, Mr Scott was among the most aggressive promoters of hydro in Galt when they were on municipal council together.

Mr Scott entered federal politics in 1915 when he was elected to replace George A. Clare, who had represented South Waterloo since 1900. Mr Scott was re-elected in 1917 as a supporter of the Union Government of Robert Borden and remained in the House of Commons until 1921, when he was defeated by William Elliott. Mr Scott retired from active politics until 1937 when he unsuccessfully contested the South Waterloo seat in the provincially election.

Mr Scott once served as president of the Galt Board of Trade in 1911 and served a term as president of the Canadian Shoe Manufacturers' Association. Mr Scott was also a member of the first Board of Directors of The Galt Club, a social club for Galt's merchants, businessmen and manufacturers. An avid horseman, Mr Scott also served as president of the Canadian Trotting Association. Mr Scott died on 13 Feb 1943 and is buried in Mount View Cemetery.

Galt-Getty&Scott-0001-Factory.jpg

Last edited:

gorebug

Reaction score
Are you selling them? Can you show numbering for the seal pair? If 9F or 9G, I'll buy them.

I'm a pretty typical 9D although never really been measured and here is how they compare for me.

Very similar to the Dacks Water Bison loafers marked '495'
Equivalent to a vintage Florsheim Imperial (McHale built) marked 9D
Noticeably roomier than the brown Dacks Seal shoes marked 9D (despite the slimmer profile)

Feel free to send me a DM if you think they may work for you.

1CG_8563.jpg

Attachments

• 1CG_8564.jpg
    1CG_8564.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 1CG_8565.jpg
    1CG_8565.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 1CG_8566.jpg
    1CG_8566.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 1CG_8567.jpg
    1CG_8567.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 1CG_8568.jpg
    1CG_8568.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 1CG_8569.jpg
    1CG_8569.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 8
  • 1CG_8570.jpg
    1CG_8570.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 1CG_8572.jpg
    1CG_8572.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 1CG_8577.jpg
    1CG_8577.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 1CG_8578.jpg
    1CG_8578.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 1CG_8655.jpg
    1CG_8655.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 1CG_8656.jpg
    1CG_8656.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 12

gorebug

Reaction score
And since the camera was out...

The Florsheim 'faux'-wings appear to be a 7.5 and are available to interested parties as they are far too small for me while i think the Water Bisons will be added to my rotation.

I've yet to work my restorative 'magic' on either pair beyond a bit of renovateur.

1CG_8579.jpg
1CG_8598.jpg

Attachments

• 1CG_8582.jpg
    1CG_8582.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 1CG_8583.jpg
    1CG_8583.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 1CG_8600.jpg
    1CG_8600.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 1CG_8609.jpg
    1CG_8609.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 1CG_8612.jpg
    1CG_8612.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 15

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: Cordo-Hyde 30" Black Laces Available for shipping!

Hi Gents, I have a box of these high quality, hard to get in Canada, laces. They are the black 30" waxed cotton version, perfect for 4 and 5 eyelet shoes. Available for sale to Canadian addresses only using CanadaPost letter mail. Each pair will be untied (like img 7238) and shipped in a cardboard sleeve to meet the max thickness requirements and make it unscathed through the evil sorting machines.

I also have some vintage Canadian laces in shorter 24" and 27" lengths, black and brown, suitable for vintage 2 and 3 eyelet shoes, some of which are shown below. Same deal applies. Let me know what you are looking for.

"Only in Canada, you say? Pity!"

$4/pair +$2.50 shipping. Get 'em while they last!

Attachments

• IMG_7236.JPG
    IMG_7236.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7237.JPG
    IMG_7237.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7238.JPG
    IMG_7238.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7239.JPG
    IMG_7239.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7240.JPG
    IMG_7240.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 13

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found the source of some of the material that ended up on the Japanese NOS W/Box shoe blog regarding the origins of Scott-McHale. It came from the City of Cambridge Hall of Fame, to which Francis S Scott was posthumously inducted in 2000. Here is his entry along with a photo of the Getty-Scott factory, which still stands!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Described as "one of Galt's most outstanding men in point of public service and industrial development", Francis Stewart Scott was born in Galt on 23 Aug 1879. He was the grandson of James Scott and the son of Frank A. Scott, a local contractor and planning mill operator, and Mary Stewart. Mr Scott graduated from the Galt Collegiate Institute and started his industrial career in 1897 when he went to work for the Galt Knitting Co. He remained there until 1899 when he went into partnership with Edwin J. Getty in the shoe manufacturing business. In 1906 the firm of Getty & Scott Shoe Co. Ltd was incorporated and in 1912 Mr Scott became the sole proprietor when he acquired Mr Getty's interests in the company, which then became the Scott Shoe Co. The company produced "The Classic Shoe", a product recognized throughout Canada. At about this time, he acquired an interest in and became president of Scott-Chamberlain Ltd, later Scott-McHale Ltd, shoe manufacturers in London, Ontario.

In 1911, Mr Scott became one of the founders and a member of the first Board of Directors of Canadian Motors Ltd. That first year, the company produced a reliable car that compared favourably with its American competitors. Unfortunately the company did not have the home grown engineering expertise required to keep pace with improvements introduced by the American giants and, with orders drying up, the company was forced to close. Its assets were sold to the Galt Motor Co., a small local company that then began production of the gas/electric powered "Galt" car.

Mr Scott was a member of the Galt municipal council serving as a councillor in 1907 and 1908, as reeve from 1909 to 1911 and as mayor in 1912 and 1913. He was also a member of Waterloo County council from 1908 to 1911 and was Waterloo County reeve in 1910 and 1911. Mr Scott played an important part in the inauguration and development of the hydro-electric system in this area and in Ontario. During the early years of development of electrical power in the province, Mr Scott spoke in many places in Ontario at the request of Sir Adam Beck, the head of the Ontario Hydro Electric Commission. With George Hancock Jr, Mr Scott was among the most aggressive promoters of hydro in Galt when they were on municipal council together.

Mr Scott entered federal politics in 1915 when he was elected to replace George A. Clare, who had represented South Waterloo since 1900. Mr Scott was re-elected in 1917 as a supporter of the Union Government of Robert Borden and remained in the House of Commons until 1921, when he was defeated by William Elliott. Mr Scott retired from active politics until 1937 when he unsuccessfully contested the South Waterloo seat in the provincially election.

Mr Scott once served as president of the Galt Board of Trade in 1911 and served a term as president of the Canadian Shoe Manufacturers' Association. Mr Scott was also a member of the first Board of Directors of The Galt Club, a social club for Galt's merchants, businessmen and manufacturers. An avid horseman, Mr Scott also served as president of the Canadian Trotting Association. Mr Scott died on 13 Feb 1943 and is buried in Mount View Cemetery.

View attachment 1323300

View attachment 1323312

Very cool, Fred! Scott was quite the businessman and entrepreneur. I just found this piece on the Galt car which looks as handsome as those early shoes you posted:

Galt-Automobile.jpg

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Car wash in the chilly capital. That called for the insulated Kamik rubber boots, of course. One of my 3 Canadian made pairs of rubber boots.

IMG_7250.JPG

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before these ship out, I thought I would post some more pics of these Macfarlane RCMP 1/4 Wellingtons, as we might not see anything similar for some time (tempting the gods...). These size 14s are going for a try-out with a buddy in Hamilton, so I gave them the Deluxe Spa Treatment, including a demi-glace on the toe boxes.

I don't know what kind of Canadian you think you could be without a pair of RCMP quarter Wellies. I'm looking at you @lbgradwell! ;) Hope you are well dug out from the snow. Cheers!

PF1_3150.JPG
PF1_3151.JPG PF1_3154.JPG PF1_3155.JPG PF1_3156.JPG PF1_3157.JPG PF1_3158.JPG PF1_3159.JPG PF1_3160.JPG PF1_3161.JPG PF1_3162.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before these ship out, I thought I would post some more pics of these Macfarlane RCMP 1/4 Wellingtons, as we might not see anything similar for some time (tempting the gods...). These size 14s are going for a try-out with a buddy in Hamilton, so I gave them the Deluxe Spa Treatment, including a demi-glace on the toe boxes.

I don't know what kind of Canadian you think you could be without a pair of RCMP quarter Wellies. I'm looking at you @lbgradwell! ;) Hope you are well dug out from the snow. Cheers!

View attachment 1324867
View attachment 1324847 View attachment 1324848 View attachment 1324849 View attachment 1324850 View attachment 1324851 View attachment 1324852 View attachment 1324853 View attachment 1324854 View attachment 1324855 View attachment 1324856

13.5D?

Dit_rich

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics