• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And here are a pair of S.E Dacks in Ostrich that I have coming in at some point next week. Awful pictures and the vendor wasn't sure on the size. The measurements make me think they might fit me, but I have an awful, sick to my stomach feeling that they are going to fit @Paul902 better. They are going to need some work (I cant stick my head in the sand about that), but I think there is a good chance that I haven't laid a giant egg buying these!!

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting advert from 1955. It indicates that Dacks continued to use the S.E. Dack designation for its top line, even after The Dack family sold primary ownership of the firm in 1948.

View attachment 1126128

Interesting...I wonder if we can thus date shoes by the height of the topline? Also, check out that telephone number format! Old school.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have that same feeling!!
Oh come on! You know you need a little ostrich in your life. I think just the apron and vamp is ostrich. The sidewalls and heels appear to be water bison.

Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given the date, I thought I would post these adds from 1952-53 for Valentines men's shoes, made by Greb! I have yet to see one in the round, but they look like they were nice shoes.

greb2.JPG

greb 3.JPG

Greb.JPG

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clearly Slater did not pony up the big bucks to hire Don Draper.

s-l1600 (11).jpg

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And one from the Hartt!!! How can you not love the name of this shoe; "The Swagger" . The ad dates to 1953.

View attachment 1126643
"Hey, Mister, nice shoes, but do you have that Swagger in your step," I thought I heard her say. "That's alright, my Valentine, I'm stepping out in Slater's, today."

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Hey, Mister, nice shoes, but do you have that Swagger in your step," I thought I heard her say. "That's alright, my Valentine, I'm stepping out in Slater's, today."

Remember! Its not a Slater without the slate, so it looks like we are shooting some pool tonight.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve said this many times. I am glad this thread is thriving now. I hope to wear a few pairs of my Canadian brands next week.

This week was mostly vintage LWBs made in USA.

Question: Did any of the Canadian shoe companies use shell cordovan?

I love my antelope and ox hide . But shell is just next level.

Last edited:

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve said this many times. I am glad this thread is thriving now. I hope to wear a few pairs of my Canadian brands next week.

This week was mostly vintage LWBs made in USA.

Question: Did any of the Canadian shoe companies use shell cordovan?

I love my antelope and oxide. But shell is just next level.

I think that with a bit more patience, work, and lady luck, I could evolve into wearing exclusively Canadian made exotic vintage shoes. There is so much quality stuff out there, and as jiqea said, the exotics clean up really nicely. I don't know if there were shell offerings.

It is SO funny that you wrote oxide, not oxhide, because we were just cracking wise with that earlier today, as part of an ongoing joke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads