• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made my pilgrimage though the snow to two VV locations in the east end this morning. I only found one pair of Dacks, these unusual black and maroon loafers on the rare 27 last. They are 11C but fit me like a glove. I will wear them to @Paul902 hosted disco nights! They are in very good shape, with next to no wear on the heels or soles. I think they have a bit of a U-wing look, which is pleasant to me. But I admit they are odd ducks.

I know you fellows have been out there thrifting through the drifting. What have you found? All whole-cut exotics I bet!

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made my pilgrimage though the snow to two VV locations in the east end this morning. I only found one pair of Dacks, these unusual black and maroon loafers on the rare 27 last. They are 11C but fit me like a glove. I will wear them to @Paul902 hosted disco nights! They are in very good shape, with next to no wear on the heels or soles. I think they have a bit of a U-wing look, which is pleasant to me. But I admit they are odd ducks.

I know you fellows have been out there thrifting through the drifting. What have you found? All whole-cut exotics I bet!

View attachment 1110901

View attachment 1110902

View attachment 1110903

Not my style, but nice to have for disco nights.

I will go thrifting tomorrow. I rarely find shoes for myself given my wide flippers. I usually find stuff I think I can flip for a small profit.

Update tomorrow.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there, my nickname is "Boogie Nights!" I'm just back in from the western loop. I totally need a time-out, so for now I'll just leave you with the view of my trunk. More later. Promise.

IMG_5324.JPG

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@lbgradwell got the count right. Only one of those pairs is for posting here, though. A lonely pair of Dack's Bond Street derbies. These are English made. Remind me, is that Church's manufacturing, or Cheaney? I'm sure @Jiqea can tell me what kind of hide they are, and whether or not they are formal enough for his next swingers party. In pretty decent shape.

IMG_5328.JPG
IMG_5330.JPG

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@lbgradwell got the count right. Only one of those pairs is for posting here, though. A lonely pair of Dack's Bond Street derbies. These are English made. Remind me, is that Church's manufacturing, or Cheaney? I'm sure @Jiqea can tell me what kind of hide they are, and whether or not they are formal enough for his next swingers party. In pretty decent shape.

View attachment 1111110 View attachment 1111111

It looks like good old Prairie Oxhide to me. I haven't seen many of these in the plain-toe. I believe Churchs made them for a few years very early after the buyout, but the vast majority of the Bond Street and Gold Bond shoes were made by Cheaney (owned by Churchs). These are nice shoes and will clean up beautifully! What size are they?

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking prairie oxhide or bison. I'm not sure on the size. When I got home I found they are a bit small for me. Damn if I have to sell them at a negative loss! I think this might decode to 8, or maybe 7.5?

IMG_5332.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1111110 View attachment 1111111

Depending on the year, made by Church's or Cheaney. @mariusscott or @tonylamer would know.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like good old Prairie Oxhide to me. I haven't seen many of these in the plain-toe. I believe Churchs made them for a few years very early after the buyout, but the vast majority of the Bond Street and Gold Bond shoes were made by Cheaney (owned by Churchs). These are nice shoes and will clean up beautifully! What size are they?

I also say prairie oxhide or bison. Beautiful shoes.

mariusscott

Reaction score
size 8F but those can be finicky on size from that time, nice shoes though. I imagine you shouldnt have an issue selling them, that size someone from Japan may snipe them. This thread has made me want to plan a summer trip to Ottawa also, I picked up two pairs from VV to flip from saturday, and they were orphans that I was on the fence from 2 weeks prior...so slim pickings over here

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting pair of Dacks Cap-Toe Oxfords with the hand wax finish that were just posted on Ebay in the States. I am guessing these would be from the 1990's, and were made at the old Hartts factory as they have the New Brunswick stamp. They are near NOS so you can see the Hand Benched graphic on the ball of the sole. I have a pair of Dacks bags with the same image on them. With the six eyelets they are a handsome shoe. No connection on my end.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting pair of Dacks Cap-Toe Oxfords with the hand wax finish that were just posted on Ebay in the States. I am guessing these would be from the 1990's, and were made at the old Hartts factory as they have the New Brunswick stamp. They are near NOS so you can see the Hand Benched graphic on the ball of the sole. I have a pair of Dacks bags with the same image on them. With the six eyelets they are a handsome shoe. No connection on my end.

View attachment 1111670

View attachment 1111671

View attachment 1111672

I believe I have the exact same pair. I keep them at office in case I ever need black cap toe, and am wearing sandals or brown shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads