1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Rampart, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Jiqea

Jiqea Senior Member

Living in a town with another Forum member has its perks. Paul kindly allowed me the pleasure of adopting his trio of 10.5D Dacks that he rescued last week. Here are some photos. The Derbys are NOS and the loafers are very lightly used. Wonderful shoes. Thank you Paul.

loafer3.jpg

loafer2.jpg

loafer1.jpg

2. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

Now I really have to visit you guys!!!

3. Jiqea

Jiqea Senior Member

I have to admit that Ottawa punches above its weight with regard to finding nice Canadian shoes.

4. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

I have to say, it was a weird feeling this morning, thinking about what pants to wear to meet a GUY coming to my house. Once he got here it was super cool. We had a great chat about all kinds of interests, including, of course, shoes. My Dacks rescues found a good home (it turns out they were all 10.5, not 12's as previously reported!), and I really, really can't say I left the meetup disappointed, as I absconded with something from @Jiqea s closet, too! It was one of the best "first dates" ever. :)

IMG_5109.JPG

5. suitforcourt

I wish I had dates like this.

6. PatrickS

PatrickS Member

Ottawa has some beautiful vintage Dack's wonderful rescues! Can anyone provide some background on the Dack's Uptown Collection?

20181213_164107.jpg

20181213_164139.jpg

20181213_164232.jpg

7. Jiqea

Jiqea Senior Member

Further back in the thread there is some info from well informed members concerning where the Uptowns fit in the Dacks hierarchy. If I recall correctly they are at the bottom of the quality pyramid, designed for the entry level customer. I have a pair that were made in Mexico, indicating they were made very close to the end of the Dacks run before the bankruptcy. Mine have a rubber or vibrum sole and are very light weight. I wear them quite a bit. They look great and and perform well on rain days. Yours look better quality than mine and appear to have been made in Canada. Here is a quick pic of mine still looking scruffy from their last trip through the slush. They have an identical shoe sock to yours, but mine say made in Mexico under the tongue.

uptowns.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018

8. Bespoke Barrister

Bespoke Barrister Member

Just a FYI Dack's size 13 runs VERY small. I have two pairs labeled 13 and they are closer to a 11.5. I can post pictures and measurements if that is of any assistance.

9. Jiqea

Jiqea Senior Member

Please post a picture of the liner numbers for a shoe. It seems odd. Thanks.

10. suitforcourt

It depends on the width.

My brother wears 13eee in AE, and 13G/H in Dacks and other Canadian brands.

Take a picture of the two pairs. I'd like to see the sizing.

11. mariusscott

mariusscott Well-Known Member

I would agree would need to see a picture of the inside, they generally run pretty true to form, the bond street series being the only one that sometimes vary slightly

12. FuzzyDunlop82

FuzzyDunlop82 Member

Man, that would be really disappointing. I've tried on a pair of 12.5D, and they were just a hair tight, so that m hopeful that I could squeeze into a 13D.

13. Bespoke Barrister

Bespoke Barrister Member

Here are some pictures compared with a pair of modern AE Hopkinson in size 12D and a pair of vintage JM Aristocraft in size 13D. Perhaps 13 is not size? Compare1.jpg Compare2.jpg Compare3.jpg Compare4.jpg CompareJM.jpg Compare1.jpg Compare2.jpg Compare3.jpg Compare4.jpg CompareJM.jpg InsideDerby.jpg InsideWholeCut.jpg Two Pairs.jpg

14. mariusscott

mariusscott Well-Known Member

fyi the dack's oxhide are actually 10.5D, the first 4 numbers stamped "4105" correspond to 4th width on a 10.5 last. The other whole cuts are 9.5D, same story corresponding to "495", whoever listed them as 13' (maybe these were the ones on poshmark) had no idea what they were talking about

15. suitforcourt

10.5E and 9.5D.

Not even close.