• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just acquired another pair of early 1950's John McHale Custom shoes. They have the early sock liner with the script oriented parallel to the long axis of the shoe. This style of liner was used from the origins of the John McHale signature line in 1944 to early 1959. The shoes have the classic 4 stitch box-barring on the lacing stay flap which indicates that they were built post 1950, however they lack the fancy doubled and stitched edge on the sock-liner. I don't know the precise date that this trait was introduced but I think it was post 1955. They also have the translucent finish on the out-soles and heels, which appears to have been standard on all pre-59 John McHale Custom shoes. Post March 1959 the finish is dark brown and opaque.

This pair was a bespoke order and and is not marked for size. I need to measure them out, but I think they are approximately an 11.5C.

IMG_4730.jpg
IMG_4731.jpg
IMG_4732.jpg
IMG_4733.jpg

mackbrad

Reaction score
Received these Dack's loafers in the mail this week after spotting them online at a bargain basement price. I'm not a tassel guy as a rule, but global pandemics do crazy things to a guy. They arrived in the condition you see them here, which ain't bad at all. One thing that was new to me was the fact that these state they were made in Spain. I vaguely recall this coming up an a previous thread here, but f somebody could jog my memory I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_9487.JPEG
    IMG_9487.JPEG
    358.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9490.JPEG
    IMG_9490.JPEG
    330.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9488.JPEG
    IMG_9488.JPEG
    298.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9489.JPEG
    IMG_9489.JPEG
    247.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9491.JPEG
    IMG_9491.JPEG
    236.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9492.JPEG
    IMG_9492.JPEG
    369 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9493.JPEG
    IMG_9493.JPEG
    313.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9486.JPEG
    IMG_9486.JPEG
    282.2 KB · Views: 24

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Is the sizing / fitting for Dacks and McHales correlate to Brannock sizing?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the sizing / fitting for Dacks and McHales correlate to Brannock sizing?

I find that the later McHales (under Florsheim ownership) fit more like Florsheim, that is, slightly more generous in the toe box and vamp area.

Dacks uses a different width system. They go from A to G.

I generally wear 8.5eee for most US brands. For Dacks, I can do 8.5G, 9F, and some 9G.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received these Dack's loafers in the mail this week after spotting them online at a bargain basement price. I'm not a tassel guy as a rule, but global pandemics do crazy things to a guy. They arrived in the condition you see them here, which ain't bad at all. One thing that was new to me was the fact that these state they were made in Spain. I vaguely recall this coming up an a previous thread here, but f somebody could jog my memory I'd appreciate it.

Dacks went belly up in 2009. For a number of years prior to their demise they had some shoes produced in Spain and Mexico. I may have even seen some from Italy. Your shoes would have been made sometime post 2000.

The following from Globe and Mail on Dec. 10, 2009

Dec 10 2009 Bankrupt.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love this pair of John McHale gunboats. Lots of life left.

Check out the welts.
20200826_084243.jpg
20200826_084302.jpg
20200826_084258.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have often wondered about this pair of Dack's gunboats pictured on the Vintage Shoe Addict site. The heavy build and the 4 stitch "Box-Bar" on the lacing stay flap makes them look more like John McHales than Dacks. The Vintage Shoe Addict did not post any photos of the sock-liners, so I have often puzzled over them. But today, in reviewing some old adds, I noted that Dacks did indeed produce this shoe, including the cool leather strap lace. It was advertized as the "Craig" from the most expensive S.E. Dack line. They would have been produced sometime between 1952 and 1958. I imagine John McHale was not impressed by the use of the "Box-Bar" stitching, which they advertised as their "Hallmark".

The advert is from 1957, and it is interesting to see that the "new" style Dack's shoe tree is illustrated, replacing the "Shield" shoe tree that had been used from 1949 on.

gunboat19 Dacks.jpg
gunboat20.jpg
1957 S.E. Dack The Craig.JPG

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is a world without order? In these troubled times we could use predictability in our lives. Dack's is not helping in this regard.

Today I sold a pair of NOS seal skin derbys that had been here for over a year. In dusting them off I noticed that they had one 1960's custom grade liner, and one post 1984 liner. What is next? I just cant take this baffling ambiguity.

I can only imagine they were having some trouble with the post 1984 stamp, as it did not leave a clear imprint, and used the older stamp on the second shoe. It is just so damn strange. The shoes are clearly from the 80's or early 90's.

Can you folks come up with an explanation. As stated above the shoes are NOS, so a factory repair cant be the case. I am going back to bed.

IMG_4792.jpg

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
What is a world without order? In these troubled times we could use predictability in our lives. Dack's is not helping in this regard.

Today I sold a pair of NOS seal skin derbys that had been here for over a year. In dusting them off I noticed that they had one 1960's custom grade liner, and one post 1984 liner. What is next? I just cant take this baffling ambiguity.

I can only imagine they were having some trouble with the post 1984 stamp, as it did not leave a clear imprint, and used the older stamp on the second shoe. It is just so damn strange. The shoes are clearly from the 80's or early 90's.

Can you folks come up with an explanation. As stated above the shoes are NOS, so a factory repair cant be the case. I am going back to bed.

View attachment 1452143

:(

Where did they sell to? Japan / Asia?

I am surprised that given the smaller size, leather rarity, and NOS condition that it didn't sell much quicker. I had consider hitting the buy button many times but was not sure if I would ever wear it and what to wear with.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jiqea Can you help opine on info for this McHale pair that I got from Marius.

Here is the cross-post restore photos.

0905200901~2.jpg

View attachment 1453830

0905201830.jpg

0905201831.jpg

0905201830a.jpg

0905201831a.jpg
Are there any code markings in the interior, or anything left of the sockliner imprint, or stampings on the waist of the sole? The medallion is similar to the one used by John McHale on their famous Bomber brogues, but the sockliner lacks doubled and stitched edge. That trait began sometime around '55, so perhaps they predate that. The lacing stay flap lacks the "box bar" which was McHale's hallmark post 1950 on Bluchers. If they were Scott-McHales (McHale's 2nd quality line up until 1959) that would be stamped down on the interior waist of the sockliner. I wonder if they are McHales, or perhaps another manufacturer. Marius knows his stuff, so perhaps he is seeing something that I don't. Coding would tell the tale. Nice shoes. Will you resole them?

I will look through the newspaper adds.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
I am going to DIY 'topy' with a rubberized/silicone spray. I did just tried on one pair and it turned out decent.

1599419004048.png

1599419027106.png

Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to DIY 'topy' with a rubberized/silicone spray. I did just tried on one pair and it turned out decent.

View attachment 1453875
View attachment 1453876
McHale was certainly making high quality golf shoes in the 40's and 50's. Attached is the only image I could find of one from 1947. One ad I found suggests that they were being imported and sold in Los Angeles!

Also attached is a shot of your toe medallion on the left vs a Bomber medallion on the right. They share the interesting diamond shape with a large dot right at the toe. My guess is that if your shoes are John McHales that they pre-date 1950. Otherwise I would expect to see a box-bar post 1950 and both the box-bar and a stitched liner post 1955.

McHale 1947 golf shoes.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads