• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but how do make a new post? I only seem to be able to reply to exiting posts.
Just start a new one in the open "reply box" that is below the last post. It should really be called the "New Post box"

Last edited:

mackbrad

Reaction score
Hi! New member, first post. I stumbled across this thread after Googling something about Dack’s, which I’ve been collecting for 20 years or so now. Mildly embarrassed it took me so long to discover a place for like-minded guys existed.
I just bought this pair of brown Dack’s “Bond Street” loafers at a thrift store Saturday and have them a quick clean and polish. They fit perfectly and are a worthy addition to the collection.
Anyone know if these models were made in England? Or is that just branding??

Attachments

Dit_rich

Reaction score
After an extremely uneventful and fruitless week (some "please through me away" Dacks, some nice RCMP shoes an boots not in my size - shoes were actually nice but ) there's finally something worth of sharing.
Canada made Florsheim Imperial in what I suspect to be antelope leather. Alas 12D, so they'll go as soon I I stop meditating at them )).

20200216_143201.jpg
20200216_143223.jpg
20200216_143041.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After an extremely uneventful and fruitless week (some "please through me away" Dacks, some nice RCMP shoes an boots not in my size - shoes were actually nice but ) there's finally something worth of sharing.
Canada made Florsheim Imperial in what I suspect to be antelope leather. Alas 12D, so they'll go as soon I I stop meditating at them )).

View attachment 1338502
View attachment 1338503View attachment 1338504
Kudu Florsheim! Made at the McHale factory in London. Nice find indeed! All I saw this week was throw me back Dacks, but i am still living on the high of my Owens-Elmes John McHales.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1338502
View attachment 1338503View attachment 1338504
I have same pair. Got them NOS. I find they are tight in toe box relative to other Florsheims, or John McHale for Florsheim shoes. The antelope leather is pretty awesome though.

Dit_rich

Reaction score
I have same pair. Got them NOS. I find they are tight in toe box relative to other Florsheims, or John McHale for Florsheim shoes. The antelope leather is pretty awesome though.
These I found rather spacious in toe. But I am 10 max so any 12 might be to spacious for me :)

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would they still mark them as made in Canada though?
If they are the made in Canada version they will have a little round maple leaf symbol on the interior mid-sole. It can sometimes be a bit hard to see. I have seen a US made version of this shoe, but any that I have seen that have shown up in Canada have been the MIC version.

Dit_rich

Reaction score
If they are the made in Canada version they will have a little round maple leaf symbol on the interior mid-sole.
Oh, these do have this symbol. Sorry I didn't post originally. Does it make them Dacks made?
20200216_194747.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, these do have this symbol. Sorry I didn't post originally. Does it make them Dacks made?
View attachment 1338527
They are Florsheim Imperials that were made at the McHale factory. In 1958 Interco, the parent company of Florsheim, purchased Scott-McHale through their Canadian subsidiary, Savage Shoes. After that time all the Florsheim shoes sold in Canada were built at the McHale plant. This ended around 1990 when Interco went into a reorganisation and the London Mchale factory was closed. I am pretty sure these Kudu Florsheim date to the late 70's or early 80's. Yours is the 4th pair I have seen in the last six months.

Dit_rich

Reaction score
They are Florsheim Imperials that were made at the McHale factory.
Thank you Jiqea!
I am seriously thinking of collecting all your posts and print them out for reference. That will be a great book. Always appreciate your input.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Jiqea!
I am seriously thinking of collecting all your posts and print them out for reference. That will be a great book. Always appreciate your input.
Well, if you do let me make an edit or two! I will be putting out a small change to the Dacks sock-liner chronology soon, and I have a lot more info on Scott-McHale to come. I appreciate the kind words. To me knowing a bit about the history really adds to the enjoyment of owning the shoes.

lbgradwell

Reaction score
I had a nice pair of John McHales arrive today from France, where they were no doubt worn by an expatriate Canadian, shuffling along the streets of Paris, humming Les Feuilles Mortes and thinking of his lost summer love.

Like many of these shoes they had too much dark brown polish on them, so I removed that with Renomat, washed, moisterized and then gave them a light polish. They have the Custom Shoe sock-liner and likely date to the late 60's. A size 12D and heavy!!!!

View attachment 1332982View attachment 1332983View attachment 1332984

So YOU'RE the *^%$#@ who outbid me! LOL! Shoulda known it was someone here, but I was naïve enough to think that France was far enough afield that they wouldn't attract too much attention...

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So YOU'RE the *^%$#@ who outbid me! LOL! Shoulda known it was someone here, but I was naïve enough to think that France was far enough afield that they wouldn't attract too much attention...
I should have known it was you. I had my max bid in and was watching the close. The numbers started to roll so I threw in one last desperate bid with one second left. They have been moved on to the gentleman who bought the SE Dack Ostrich and Water Bison shoes.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.