• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D. Major Bespoke Tailor in Fulham

ericcartman

Reaction score
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.792969)]I had the great good fortune yesterday, of stumbling upon a hidden treasure: D.Major Bespoke Tailor in Fulham. Connoisseurs of the James Bond films may recognise the name. Dimi Major made the suits worn by George Lazenby in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. He also made suits privately for Sean Connery[/COLOR] and innumerable other household names. After training at Bailey and Weatherill, he acquired his premises in Fulham, where for a time he was in partnership with Douglas Hayward, before Hayward moved to Mount street in Mayfair. Sadly, Dimi passed away in 2004, but the firm remains in family ownership. I highly recommend a visit to this establishment, who, despite their illustrious heritage are very approachable. For anyone considering their first bespoke suit, I can't think of a better recommendation. I only wish I had known about them when I bought mine. Simon Crompton once wrote that Grahame Brown was the best value tailor he knew. If you think that's true, give Major's a call, and I suspect you will have changed your mind.

http://www.majortailors.com

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard they are very good if you like the traditional cut. I will wait for an in-depth review.

Geezer

Reaction score
I'd like to hear more too. He is very close to where I live (the irony being that, with the exception of Saturday mornings - a concept I still find challenging- when he is open I am at work and cannot easily visit, but can much more readily pop out to the Row or Soho during the working week, at least in theory).

From a brief visit a year or so ago, my recollections are:

- he is doing decent business and had plenty on the go;

- very nice, approachable guy; unassuming, if anything;

- workmanship looked good (fit cannot of course be judged by looking at work in progress for others);

- cut/padding on the mildly softer side; not A&S drapey floatey, but not Poole/Huntsman either;

- reassuring feeling that this is a proper tailor's shop: not packed with RTW shirts, ties, sweaters, Asian MTM offers etc (which he could probably make some good money off frankly in this part of W London).

- very mild worry that while the late Dimi was first rank, Major Jr's skills are an unknown quantity.

IIRC, pricing was somewhere in the region of £2K for a bespoke suit. Which ain't bad these days.

Which does all make me think I should at least pop back for a chat and probably commission something. If/when either happens, I shall report back.

ericcartman

Reaction score
Quote:

depends on your definition of traditional. - "cut/padding on the mildly softer side; not A&S drapey floatey, but not Poole/Huntsman either" (from post 3 just below yours) seems a fair description.

Last edited:

ericcartman

Reaction score
Quote: Major Jr was trained by Dimi from a young age, and despite his modest demeanour is an outstanding cutter, though of course there is always an element of subjectivity in an opinion like that. I am not old enough to remember this, but I'm told that in his father's generation, the appreciation of the virtues of a bespoke suit were more widespread and that many men would have at least one suit made, for special occasions, weddings etc. So it may have been easier for a Savile Row tailor like Dimi or Doug Hayward setting up on their own, to build up a reputation than it is for someone of Major Jr generation. Even James Bond doesn't wear proper suits anymore! Your recollection is just about correct, but if you knock £200 off that price you get what he charges for a three-piece suit, which is pretty extraordinary for someone of his pedigree I think. Incidentally, that is the price that Doug Hayward quoted me just over ten years ago for a two piece suit. I think it might be a tiny bit more than Grahame Browne charges but I understand Grahame Brown makes some shortcuts to get to that price point. Using less handwork or something like that. And anyway it is nicer experience going into Major's than going into Grahame Brown's, for lots of reasons.

ML594806

Reaction score
So this is the only thread about Major bespoke in Fulham in the entire forum...? Hmmm. Not sure if that's a good or a bad sign.

I had a couple of bespoke suits made for me a few years ago in Barcelona, but since I came back to London I've lost a lot of weight (22 kilos, and I'm currently 74 so it's a BIG difference). SO I had to take them to a tailor. My kid goes to a nursery down the same road where this establishment is and it always drew my attention when walking past on my way to work so I thought I'd give it a try. I've left one of the two suits with them for refitting. I have no idea of how much is he planning to charge to be honest. I completely forgot to ask. But he did say that a full hand made bespoke two piece suit with canvassed jacket cost around £2k. If the result of the refitting is satisfactory (not a menial task considering the work needed), I will take the second suit and probably get a three piece navy suit made by them.

I will post some pics once the job is done.

joeninety

Reaction score
when i lived in fulham i used to pass it and the bespoke boot maker on the same road quite often, it was always packed back then and i know a few people who still use them. they turn out very good suits in my opinion.

ML594806

Reaction score
when i lived in fulham i used to pass it and the bespoke boot maker on the same road quite often, it was always packed back then and i know a few people who still use them. they turn out very good suits in my opinion.

I´ve also seen the bespoke shoe maker, it´s closed! :(

I´ll see what the outcome is.

ML594806

Reaction score
I'm afraid the suit had to be shrunk beyond repair... The change in my frame is massive. And it just doesn't look great. The trousers are still nice on the other hand. So not all is lost.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads