• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D&g shirt - authentic?

rsp1

Reaction score
Can't comment on authenticity, but I believe that D&G is their lower-priced bridge line which may explain some pricing.

alaaro

Reaction score
Despite the feedback rating, I would be very skeptical. I've gotten burned buying some things on ebay that look very real...with tags, etc. A lot of these higher end labels are getting counterfeitted a lot recently on ebay, especially stuff like D&G, Versace, and Burberry.

Who knows though. It may be real, but I would do some investigating first.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite the feedback rating, I would be very skeptical. I've gotten burned buying some things on ebay that look very real...with tags, etc. A lot of these higher end labels are getting counterfeitted a lot recently on ebay, especially stuff like D&G, Versace, and Burberry. Who knows though. It may be real, but I would do some investigating first.
It just seems like too low of a price, even though it is their cheaper line. If you follow the link on their auction page, it looks as though they do a wholesale business www.todaysstyles.net that looks to be pretty kosher.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I seem to remember seeing that exact shirt at a Sak's Fifth Avenue.

I have a D&G shirt double-button shirt that I am comparing the shirt in the picture to. The distance from the edge of the collar that the stiching is appears to be exact, as well as the collar points.

But I just thought I'd mention that I was extremely disappointed with the fit of my D&G shirt. I got a 14" (15.5" is normal for me to button w/ tie) collar shirt and it was really wide / pillowy around my waist, a feature that I did not think was very characteristic of Dolce.

marc37

Reaction score
l would be skeptical, they do not show the tags very well. The label on the back of the shirt collar looks slightly different to the originals. Be careful, l suspect they may be fake.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
l would be skeptical, they do not show the tags very well. The label on the back of the shirt collar looks slightly different to the originals. Be careful, l suspect they may be fake.
Wow, I agree with marc37 on one point: they don't show the label very well... ask them to send you a close up.

marc: what do you mean by the labels on the shirt collar being a bit different? What are the D&G labels like? I've bought several D&G's for my brother and would be interested in your answer.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The tag in the middle looks fake - I have never seen any like that, the ones on either side look real. Also always be aware of poly bags. The design is a real one from a previous season, so who knows.

marc37

Reaction score
(marc37 @ 31 Aug. 2004, 10:15) l would be skeptical, they do not show the tags very well. The label on the back of the shirt collar looks slightly different to the originals. Be careful, l suspect they may be fake.
Wow, I agree with marc37 on one point: they don't show the label very well... ask them to send you a close up. marc: what do you mean by the labels on the shirt collar being a bit different? Â What are the D&G labels like? Â I've bought several D&G's for my brother and would be interested in your answer.
l will try to explain it as easy as possible. The white cloth tag behind the black tag [in the middle of the collar] should be longer. (lt is hard to see the ebay picture clearly [so l could be wrong], but the white tag looks like it needs to be bigger).

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(T4phage @ 31 Aug. 2004, 01:43)
Originally Posted by marc37,31 Aug. 2004, 10:15
Wow, I agree with marc37 on one point: they don't show the label very well... ask them to send you a close up. marc: what do you mean by the labels on the shirt collar being a bit different? Â What are the D&G labels like? Â I've bought several D&G's for my brother and would be interested in your answer.
l will try to explain it as easy as possible. The white cloth tag behind the black tag [in the middle of the collar] should be longer. (lt is hard to see the ebay picture clearly [so l could be wrong], but the white tag looks like it needs to be bigger).
Okay.... I have just come back recently from Itay and had purchased 6 D&G shirts from the boutique for my brother. The tag is nothing at all like the link posted by VersaceMan. The label is a dark blue square with a large "&" in red. Underneath the & is written Dolce and Gabbana. The label is stitched all around, i.e totally attached to the shirt. The materials tag is not underneath the label, it is on the side seam of the shirt. So, unless the tags are different in other countries, that looks like a fake. How about yours Marc?

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple points to consider:

Tags do vary. Many labels make stuff all over the world and even the fit is different depending on market. I am guessing (but would put money on this guess) that Dolce's shirts for the US market are cut bigger than those for the Italian market. I'd also venture a guess that the shirts for the Japanese market are different.

If you were to fake it, the easiest part would be the label. I have maybe a dozen woven label manufacturers lists around here somewhere. If you were to call one in China they really wouldn't give a darn if it was a copy of the D&G and you could run off a thousand in no time.

I am always somewhat reluctant to criticize other labels but I think it would be fair to say that D&G understands the brand awareness of thie line and does produce.... "Entry level" garments that do not refelct the quality of their highest end.

Not slammin them, just pointing out that not all Dolce's are equal.

Also... I know where to get overstock D&G, Ferre, Valentino etcetera for cheap when buying in bulk so that price is not out of line for a shirt that does not use premium fabrics (not saying the fabrics are bad, but they are ordinary and a LOT cheaper than what say... Borrelli or Brioni or Lorenzini uses. Construction is mass-production.

Could it be a fake? perhaps. If I were a duplicitous scumbag though I am rather sure that I would knock off something with a bigger pricetag and higher demand - there are shirts out there with a huge price and similar construction.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Carlo:
Tags do vary. Many labels make stuff all over the world and even the fit is different depending on market. I am guessing (but would put money on this guess) that Dolce's shirts for the US market are cut bigger than those for the Italian market. I'd also venture a guess that the shirts for the Japanese market are different.
Oh for sure fit varies. Even the level of workmanship varies for different markets (as A.Harris and I discovered on Incotex). But for tags? My brother showed me the stuff he bought in the States and they had the same tags as the stuff I bought in Milan for him. With the tags I've seen from Kiton, Brioni, etc, the tags looked the same between Europe and the U.S, except sometimes when they have the "made for/cucito per.." I wouldn't know anything about the Asian markets though.

What has been mentioned on this forum was Lacoste, and the various different tags used for shirts made in various countries. But with all the D&G's I bought for my brother over the past 2 years, they were all made in Italy and had the same tag.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T4- I noticed that in this ad it says it is made in Italy as well so hard to say for sure - it does have the engraved buttons.

...I don't know that I have ever seen a fake that comes with engraved buttons, hologram tags... would be a LOT of work for an item you hope to clear 20 bucks on.

Again - don't know the seller, haven't seen the shirt but I'm thinking that if you are going to copy details such as engraved buttons, labels, hologram tags... you'd really be an idiot to get the inner tag wrong - that is the easiest part of the whole deal. You send the labelmaker a jpg of the exact label you want and they zip'm off

...Then again... saw a boob like that once, looked real enough, no telltales, total disappointment when the subterfuge was revealed.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T4- I noticed that in this ad it says it is made in Italy as well so hard to say for sure - it does have the engraved buttons. ...I don't know that I have ever seen a fake that comes with engraved buttons, hologram tags... Â would be a LOT of work for an item you hope to clear 20 bucks on. Again - don't know the seller, haven't seen the shirt but I'm thinking that if you are going to copy details such as engraved buttons, labels, hologram tags... you'd really be an idiot to get the inner tag wrong - that is the easiest part of the whole deal. Â You send the labelmaker a jpg of the exact label you want and they zip'm off ...Then again... saw a boob like that once, looked real enough, no telltales, total disappointment when the subterfuge was revealed.
Yes I agree... why would anyone go thru the hassle of detailing if they forget something as basic as the label on the shirt....
confused.gif
Btw, which "boob" was it?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T4-

As far as the tags, it sounds like the shirts you describe are from the '&' line of Dolce & Gabbana. I have a shirt from the D&G line, and it's similar to the one pictured: D&G in white on a black background, with a small vertical 'Made in Italy' on the side of the tag.

Marc,

You're right - the tyvec paper tag behing the 'D&G' tag is much longer on my shirt as well, almost to the point where it's annoying.

Styleman,

That Poly bag is another sign that made me think it was fake.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads