D&G Fall 2009

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by XenoX101, Feb 24, 2009.

1. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

I really loved what D&G did this season, their inspiration was apparently Oscar Wilde, I felt like posting this also due to some hate on Dolce & Gabbana in another thread, true, this is not their mainline, but its Dolce & Gabbana still. No details I'm afraid, style.com decided D&G isn't worthy, which is really upsetting because honestly, I think this collection this season would benefit the most from it. Here's what men.style.com had to say..
    The invitation to D&G's latest show came from Oscar Wilde, even though he's been dead for a century. That's the resurrective power of fashion, at least as it's channeled by Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana. But there was method to their madness. Wilde's thing was as fin-de-siècle as the endgame that mesmerizes society right now. And his transgressive cast of characters made a riveting parade for D&G. Against a backdrop of Wildean quotes and music by the Verve, Domenico and Stefano showed rococo Ruritanian military jackets with distressed jeans, shirts, and pants printed with equally rococo swagging, a biker jacket in astrakhan, and combinations of moirÃ[​IMG] and jacquard that hinted at an aristocratic opium dream. Floral-printed velvets, flocked brocade, and a tee printed with Jacques-Louis David's Leonidas at Thermopylae (phew!) amplified the entirely aesthetic nature of the collection. Frankly, as the last show of Milan's men's calendar for Fall 2009, it was refreshing to see something that was reckless enough to go Out There. When options shrivel to naught, hell-bent for leather doesn't seem half bad. - Tim Blanks
    Please, discuss [​IMG]. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. itsjustadrian

itsjustadrian Senior member

3. MLIW

MLIW Senior member

I like a few of the overcoats/jackets which they have got but apart from that I dont think theres anything overly impressesive. It seems they are trying on some occaisons to mix country fashion with city hip- badly.

4. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Haha, I probably would have liked it a lot more, had I not known it was D&G. Hugely derivative but well-styled and wearable. A lot of Alexander McQueen visible in those ornate patterns....

Still skinny trousers and a velvet dinner jacket with a shawl lapel - that's how I'd dress everyday if my lifestyle and budget permitted....

5. xpress

xpress Senior member

I love some of that stuff!

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

D&G always has nice pieces each season. They remind me of the high end Diesel...always a few solid unadorned pieces that are classicaly based, and a shit ton of garish overadorned crap. So once filtered thru, there's surprisingly some really nice D&G jackets and shirts, esp last F/W. This is definitely a brand where you need "the eye"

7. why

why Senior member

Ew to 95%.

8. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

D&G always has nice pieces each season. They remind me of the high end Diesel...always a few solid unadorned pieces that are classicaly based, and a shit ton of garish overadorned crap. So once filtered thru, there's surprisingly some really nice D&G jackets and shirts, esp last F/W. This is definitely a brand where you need "the eye"

+1. My sentiments exactly. DG and D&G both still know how to make a decent garment, but it's just harder to find amidst the $300 "wolf" tshirts and "D&G UP YOUR ASS" hoodies.

9. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

Reminds me of the shit Coldplay wore for all their promo photos and for the music video for Viva La Vida. Some nice jackets, I like the prints and all, but it really seems a little redundant and overdone.

10. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

I think the trick is to wear it with modesty and pair it with similarly themed though not as extravegent clothing, particularly vintage and dress wear, nothing casual. I can see many of these jackets looking incredible on the right person, someone that looks not of this time or say has a fascination with vintage fashion. Only problem is, I can see just as many people wearing these with a cheap pair of jeans and t-shirt simply because its D&G, in hopes of gaining 'street cred'.

11. EdenResident

EdenResident Senior member

The coat on the 2nd row is freaking awesome. So is the one down the middle. No chance I can afford either, though.

12. zubin

zubin Senior member

Reminds me of the shit Coldplay wore for all their promo photos and for the music video for Viva La Vida. Some nice jackets, I like the prints and all, but it really seems a little redundant and overdone.
    awesome avatar and this line is lame. I can see why xenox digs it. Nothing says "street cred" like a gaudy D&G blazer

13. blackdarkeye

blackdarkeye Senior member

i didnt think it was half bad,though some were overly done. i like this sweater [​IMG]

14. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

15. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

awesome avatar

Hahah, thanks, that man is my hero. Can't wait for the new album..