• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D.C.-What's it like?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived in Georgetown while I was in high school and college. Georgetown is great for what it is -- lots of students from the university, living side by side with lots of lawyers and lobbyists and politicos in fancy 1800s townhouses. A few homeless people who are there for the panhandling opportunities and Gtown's proximity to downtown (Gtown adjoins the Pennsylvania Avenue corridor that leads to the White House). Cobblestone streets. Quaint street lamps. The Potomac River and C&O Canal are within walking distance (and boating clubs on the river, not to mention decent fishing). Easy access to fantastic biking trails. Along Wisconsin Avenue and M Street, amazing stores and shopping; antique shops; small art galleries; incredible variety of restaurants, including some of the city's best; movie theaters; very easy access to Virginia and a short drive to Maryland; walking distance to downtown. Personally, I prefer the Georgetown University-side of Georgetown -- it doesn't have as many fancy houses as the other side, and the other side is closer to downtown, but the GUniv. side has the "spice" of the university and I've always thought it to be the safer, quainter, homier side.

Mentos

Reaction score
All good info so far. But a couple of points:

A 1br in Adams Morgan now costs upward of $1400. Dupont will be more expensive. Capitol Hill has fewer apartments, but they'll be slightly cheaper. If I could afford anything I wanted, I'd buy a townhouse in Dupont. Adams Morgan is, for me, the best neighborhood in the city. It's only really intolerable on the weekends, and really only a single block is annoying.

Because apartments are expensive, it's typical for new grads to move into group houses. This is also a great way to meet people, of course. The more staid folk find houses in Tenleytown and the like. The very liberal and activist live in Columbia Heights, an edgy neighborhood that has cheap housing and easy bus transit to downtown. You get sick of it after two years, but by then you've saved some money and have a circle of friends to fall back on.

If you don't know a lot of people, I think that moving to Virginia right away would not be the best move. Though it functions under the radar, there is a definite network of young, liberal, non-native professionals in the neighborhoods of Dupont, AM, Columbia Heights. I have many, many friends that live within a mile of me, and you really are two degrees from anyone within that world. If that's what you want.

If you live in the city core, get a bike, take the bus, use zipcar, and save yourself the cost and aggravation of driving. I've not had a car since coming back four years ago, and I rarely miss it.

modsquad

Reaction score
Conne, you might want to reconsider: there are no piano bars in DC, and the cougars are ugly.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought Georgetown and NW D.C. were full of monied cougars.
confused.gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're out there just not as easy to find as preppy young girls eager to put out for a soco lime shot. But that's not what you're after. YOu want to go to the Round RObbin bar at the Willard, Cafe Milano in Georgetown, or Tesoro in upper NW.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
A 1br in Adams Morgan now costs upward of $1400.

A $1,400 one-bedroom is probably a real **** hole.

modsquad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I thought Georgetown and NW D.C. were full of monied cougars.
confused.gif

I didn't say they were poor, I said they were ugly. And they are. Dumpy and frumpy. But if you want successful divorcees who have let themselves go, DC is the place for you.

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
A $1,400 one-bedroom is probably a real **** hole.

Not true. Craigslist has a lot of too-expensive condos that despondent owners are trying to rent, but if you walk into any of the large buildings (they don't typically advertise), they have cheaper set-ups.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
They're out there just not as easy to find as preppy young girls eager to put out for a soco lime shot. But that's not what you're after. YOu want to go to the Round RObbin bar at the Willard, Cafe Milano in Georgetown, or Tesoro in upper NW.
I have no problem with getting ass in exchange for a shot.
fing02[1].gif

pantheist

Reaction score
I had no idea there were so many DC members on here.
I'm in Logan Circle/Shaw area and I pay $1200 a month with one roommate 2bed/2bath. Newly renovated condo. It takes some time to find a decent place around here. A lot of the places similarly priced in Dupont were absolute ****. We even got desperate enough to start looking in somewhat questionable areas. I was commuting from southern MD to NW DC and it used to take me over an hour depending on traffic. I've cut it down to 15-20 minutes. So it's a ton easier living in the city, in my case at least. Meeting new people is pretty difficult as mentioned by others. I would definitely try DC before NoVA. Definitely stay out of MD though.

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5

Georgetown really isn't that bad. But I'm not there that often.

Outside of the food, I can't stand being in Georgetown on a weekend night. Traffic sucks on M Street, not Metro friendly, and the highest density of popped-collar-polos in our great country.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kabert
I lived in Georgetown while I was in high school and college. Georgetown is great for what it is -- lots of students from the university, living side by side with lots of lawyers and lobbyists and politicos in fancy 1800s townhouses. A few homeless people who are there for the panhandling opportunities and Gtown's proximity to downtown (Gtown adjoins the Pennsylvania Avenue corridor that leads to the White House). Cobblestone streets. Quaint street lamps. The Potomac River and C&O Canal are within walking distance (and boating clubs on the river, not to mention decent fishing). Easy access to fantastic biking trails. Along Wisconsin Avenue and M Street, amazing stores and shopping; antique shops; small art galleries; incredible variety of restaurants, including some of the city's best; movie theaters; very easy access to Virginia and a short drive to Maryland; walking distance to downtown. Personally, I prefer the Georgetown University-side of Georgetown -- it doesn't have as many fancy houses as the other side, and the other side is closer to downtown, but the GUniv. side has the "spice" of the university and I've always thought it to be the safer, quainter, homier side.
Well said. The bike trails are definitely fantastic. In college we used to bike them for a day or two and camp. Some of the best memories. Once we forgot food, but we had cigars and a jug of wine.
Originally Posted by pantheist
I had no idea there were so many DC members on here. I'm in Logan Circle/Shaw area and I pay $1200 a month with one roommate 2bed/2bath. ...
This is a good area. And has anyone mentioned Mount Pleasant? Also, the area by the Columbia Heights Metro, just north of it on 14th has been undergoing major renovations. Lots of construction over the past several years. May be high vacancies and low rents.

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pantheist
... Meeting new people is pretty difficult as mentioned by others...

Do some sort of sport -- there are leagues and clubs in all areas for all skills. It's a great way to meet people. You simply have to be proactive -- the numbers of transient people mean that friendship circles aren't always that wide, so you need two or three sets of friends -- work, sports, college, etc.

pantheist

Reaction score
I checked out Columbia Heights before getting my current place. They are definitely trying to clean that area up. I steered clear cause its not quite cleaned up yet, there are definitely some good deals to be had in the area if you're willing to live there now though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads