• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D.C.-What's it like?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lat's great as always.
smile.gif
Lol, Jos A. Banks...

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Lat's great as always.
smile.gif

Lol, Jos A. Banks...

You really know you're in Washington DC, because the Jos A. Banks in Union Station has the biggest selection of red ties I've ever seen.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As long as there are lots of bars, hot women, good shopping and good food, I will be happy. It seems that D.C. has all four of these. Rock on.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
As long as there are lots of bars, old women, good shopping and good food, I will be happy. It seems that D.C. has all four of these. Rock on.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

FTFY.

ikemen

Reaction score
Connemara, crime rate in DC is MORE THAN 6 times as dangeous and likely to be murdered as NYC. figure that. and good luck. oh - but you'll be robbed clean first before being slashed! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto The low crime rate[78] in Toronto has resulted in the city having a reputation as one of the safest major cities in North America.[79][80] In 1999, the homicide rate for Toronto was 1.9 per 100,000 people,[81] compared to Atlanta (34.5), Boston (5.5), New York City (7.3), Vancouver (2.8), and Washington, D.C. (45.5). For robbery rates, Toronto also ranks low, with 115.1 robberies per 100,000, compared to Dallas (583.7), Los Angeles (397.9), Montreal (193.9), New York City (287.9), and Washington, D.C. (670.6). Toronto has a comparable rate of car theft to various U.S. cities, although it is not among the highest in Canada.[78] The overall crime rate in general was an average of 48 incidents per 100,000, compared to Cincinnati (326), Los Angeles (283), New York City (195.2), and Vancouver (239). However, many in the city, especially the local media, have concerns regarding gun violence, gangs, and racial profiling by Toronto Police against minorities.[79]

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, coming from Albany (which thrives mainly during the work week), I get worried about going to a city that basically "shuts down" on the weekends. Columbus is the same way...the downtown area is bustling and busy on weekdays, but come Saturday 75% (I'm not exaggerating) of the restaurants, coffee shops, galleries, etc. close down. It's dead.

I realize D.C. is a major urban center so this surely isn't the case, right?

What Columbus were you living in? I live downtown and there are people walking everywhere on the weekends.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
What Columbus were you living in? I live downtown and there are people walking everywhere on the weekends.
I was downtown around 1 PM yesterday (in the Broad/State area, around the capitol building). I encountered practically no one. A woman with a suitcase came up to me and asked, "Is there anything to do around here? Everything is closed." The Short North was bustling, but isn't it always?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this (and thanks to everyone else who has responded).

Do most young professionals actually live within the D.C. city limits? Or do many live in VA/MD?

All the colleagues I know in DC (except for a state dept employee who lives in Georgetown) all live in Maryland or the Falls Church/Arlington area.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
All the colleagues I know in DC (except for a state dept employee who lives in Georgetown) all live in Maryland or the Falls Church/Arlington area.
But isn't it tough to get into the nightlife if you live in Arlington? Doesn't the Metro stop running fairly early?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I ran some numbers and the cost of living in the "trendier" parts of town is absurd. It doesn't look like a fresh-out-of-college grad. making $30 or $35K can afford a place in Dupont Circle or Adams Morgan. Even with two or three roommates, the average rent I am seeing is well over $1,000. Add in transportation, food, etc. and money gets tight quickly.

So Arlington/Silver Spring/etc. are significantly cheaper? Is that right?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was downtown around 1 PM yesterday (in the Broad/State area, around the capitol building). I encountered practically no one. A woman with a suitcase came up to me and asked, "Is there anything to do around here? Everything is closed." The Short North was bustling, but isn't it always?
None of the nightlife is in that area. High Street is where everything is at-that area is strictly a business district. As far as DC, I'd expect to pay close to 2k for something "nice". Slightly cheaper than LA or NYC, but not by much. That's why I like Columbus, for the next couple of years... you can get a nice condo downtown for under 2k.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
None of the nightlife is in that area. High Street is where everything is at-that area is strictly a business district.
I was on High St.
confused.gif
Isn't the Arena District the liveliest part of downtown?

XdryMartini

Reaction score
I'm told that rent in Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle and Capitol Hill is around $1200 for a single, maybe a little less for a studio. Does this sound about right? I would imagine a lot of younger folks that live in D.C. have roommates.

Try something closer to $2500 for 800 sqft in those areas!! I live in Crystal City, close to the METRO and 1200 sqft is $2300.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XdryMartini
Try something closer to $2500 for 800 sqft in those areas!! I live in Crystal City, close to the METRO and 1200 sqft is $2300.
I meant $1200 per person. It seems like most 2BR places are $2500 or so, 3BR closer to $3200
crazy.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by abc123
DC is great. I think it strikes a nice balance between having great jobs and access to interesting and unique things to do, and not being too big and overwhelming. I grew up on the MD side, went to school in the city, and just moved to the VA side, just outside the city. I like the Georgetown area, and plan to live there long term, but the main disadvantage there is no easy metro access. I have a number of friends in the Dupont, Adams Morgan, and Chinatown areas, all of which are great if you're young, and enjoy going out/taking advantage of the cultural stuff.

I'd advise against the MD side for someone in your position - I think the close in VA areas are a bit more youth friendly (anything from Rosslyn to Ballston) and tend to have more going on. Very convenient to commute downtown if you're on the orange line too. Driving anywhere generally sucks, which is why it is key to walk/metro to work. I'm not convinced its cheaper to live in VA (taxes are better though) - I'm probably paying the same amount I would if I were downtown, but the buildings here tend to be newer/in better shape.

I think if you are responsible and aware of your surroundings, there is no reason to worry about safety. I never once felt at risk, even very late at night by myself or with one other person, but then again, I wasn't stumbling around drunk through Anacostia.

+1. I echo this entire post.

I live on the Maryland side (Annapolis) but am looking to hopefully move over to Northern Virginia in the future both to be closer to my job and because I really do love the area (outside of all the traffic). I'm not at all a fan of cold weather but that is part of the climate here. Overall since we all know Conne loves politics I see no reason why you wouldn't enjoy it around here. There's a pretty good population of SFers here as well.

Let us know when you get down here, we should have another DC SF meetup since I didn't make the one at the Denimbar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads