• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

d̶r̶e̶s̶s̶ casual boot decisions are getting tough.

Which boots would you pick?

• 1000 mile

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Oak Street

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Alden

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

soapsuds

Reaction score
in reply to johng70

1.) I have looked at the rubber soles as well. I enjoy the aesthetics of the leather sole boot much more, and would be very picky about rubber more than I am for the leather. I don't need rubber but probably 15-20 times out of the year, and can wear most any of my other shoes for those days.

2.) I have seen come videos on the CXL (correct abbreviation?) scratching pretty badly so these boots wouldn't be for anything to rigorous. I have my work boots already dedicated for that purpose.
I watched this video showing Venetian cream taking out some scratches on Alden Indy's. That seems to do a pretty good job and enough for what I would want.

3.) I expect the leather to be stiffer and less comfortable than a cheaper shoe with thinner leather. That is all part of the fun in breaking it in. The comfort should be there if I have on the correct size, a last that fits me, and the arch support is good. I have several cowboy boots that people don't believe to be for comfort either and from day one the fit was great and I am expecting something of the same caliber.

4.) The last is going to help with the comfort part. Luckily I don't have particularly wide or narrow feet. Mostly a D width will be great. I am planning on heading to Dallas/Fort Worth to look at these boots and get a sizing. I don't have a wide selection of quality boots like these where I'm from.

5.) I have been looking at these boots for about a month now, and have narrowed down my selection to these. (Now taken off the wolverine and added the Skoak ones.) The look is very classic, at least to my taste, and they match in shape and sole type to my cowboy boots that I love. I am not worried about not liking these down the road.

6.) Dressing up: I will definitely look into not dressing them up. From what I can tell they will look better than most of my shoes and will be suitable for a slightly more formal occasion. I will just have to see them in person, on my feet with the outfit on to determine if I should wear them.
I will probably get a pair of penny loafers or regular oxfords for anything above the boots.

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and offer my opinion that chelsea boots are horrendous looking (no exceptions), and that no one should ever buy a pair unless the intention is to burn them (and the rest of the stock).

Aim for something else that's been suggested.
GTFO!!!

OP, get a chukka with a Dainite sole if you don't like chelseas, none of the boots in your original posts will look good with slacks except the thousand mile in black, even if barely.

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Chelsea boots. Not everyone will, of course. Just like whatever your particular fave form of footwear might be, there will be others who don't care for it. Gotta love other-the-top SF bombast though. Anything that one particular person doesn't like must be "burned" at large and the ashes scattered to the four winds.
crackup[1].gif

I guess some might look at these and see toddler shoes. I sure don't.

orig.jpg

Oh. So. Sexy. I too, love Chelsea boots.

Last edited:

soapsuds

Reaction score
I ended up getting a pair of Alden 403 brown cromexcel form theshoemart.com. I normally wear a 12 in most shoes and ended up with a 11E and they fit really well. So far the only problem has been that the tops rub on my leg a start to dig in and hurt quite a bit. I remember this happened with my cowboy boots and I just had to deal with it till my skin could take it, in the mean time I am just wearing thicker socks.
They look amazing and have already had some compliment. Coming out of the box they needed a quick brushing to get a light dust off them. Other than that they were in great condition.
I still need to get more shoe trees as I am rotating the one pair in between my different leather shoes. I can't wait to keep wearing them and see how they age over the next several years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads