• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CV question

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you all recommend ALWAYS putting experience before schooling even if you're only a few years out of university?

tj100

Reaction score
It's not an absolute. I typically sort from most relevant to least relevant. Under that rule, experience is usually going to be first, but I could imagine some circumstances where education could go above it.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm unsure what to put. I had a fairly impressive UG resume (high GPA, deans list, top 1% of department, etc) which probably looks good but it certainly isn't as relevant to an employer as my work experience. I don't want to draw too much away from my WE but still want to highlight by academic achievements, perhaps out of pride?
confused.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
I'm unsure what to put. I had a fairly impressive UG resume (high GPA, deans list, top 1% of department, etc) which probably looks good but it certainly isn't as relevant to an employer as my work experience. I don't want to draw too much away from my WE but still want to highlight by academic achievements, perhaps out of pride?
confused.gif

Well, from what I have been told good academic achievements tell an employer that you are smart enough to be ab le to learn and grow with the job and / or company as need be.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
WEll, from what I have b een told good academic achievements tell an employer that you are smart enough to be ab le to learn and grow with the job and / or company as need be.

I'm sure it won't hurt, but I am still reticent to put academic before work experience. It might make it seem that I'm still banking on academic achievements more so than work achievements.

Maybe I'm over-thinking this.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
I am still reticent to put academic before work experience. It might make it seem that I'm still banking on academic achievements more so than work achievements.
+1,000 Unless you're only a year out, I would strongly suggest leading with work experience and any relevant internships. Your undergrad creds - while perhaps impressive - may have limited applicability in the industry/company/functional area you wish to move into, and you wouldn't want to give the impression that you believe otherwise. At any rate, if you're a relatively recent grad then it's to be expected that your work experience is brief. Plenty of opportunity to highlight your academic creds after work experience (the accomplishments of which, I assume, you are tailoring for the targeted industry/company/functional area).

CDN1989

Reaction score
CV's should highlight was the employer is looking for, plain and simple, no CV should ever be the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads