• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cutting your own hair...

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate getting haircuts.

I have to go during the day bc after 5 and weekends are insanely crowded. i try and make an appointment but can rarely figure when I am going to have the time to go on any particular day. When I do show-up unannounced the guy looks at me like im a pain in his ass.

I always get my hair cut the same way. #2 allover with a square back.

I just started thinking today....how hard can it be to start doing this myself? I try and get my hair cut every week to 10 days bc I do like looking neat but the process itself is a royal pain. Itd be nice to achieve the desired effect at 2am in my bathroom when I have some free time. I could also employ the help of my fiancee in squaring up the back and making sure I dont look like an idiot after missing an area.

I figure at least I could give myself a once over and only need to go to a barber 1/2 the time for a proper trimming.

So, anybody echo my sentiments and cut their own hair??

DL

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
'Tis easy. I've been cutting my own hair for years. Especially easy with an "all over" as you describe. Having someone to help with the back is a plus.

Karo

Reaction score
I've been doing that for a few years now. Its pretty easy for me as I have very short hair, just set the trimmer length and let it rip (not literally).
laugh.gif

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buzz my head myself then get a friend, my parents, my brother or someone to cut the back. Even with a mirror I can still not figure out how to cut the back. A co-worker of mine does his entire head himself, including trimming the back.

beasty

Reaction score
Unless you are cutting yourself totally bald, honestly cutting one's hair is so white trash.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Question, with a clipper and #2 attachment, is it still possible to make a mistake or does the guard pretty much make it impossible providing you dont miss an area??

DL

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
If you're cutting with clippers and a guard, it's pretty hard to screw it up. If you're worried about the back, use a mirror and a regular razor to square it off - there's substantially less risk involved.

Rob Rocco

Reaction score
Probably goes without saying, but be sure to cut against the grain to ensure a uniform length. I've also got what's called a right-ear and left-ear taper attachment for my clippers so that the hair right against my temples is shorter than the hair closer to my ears.

One more thing: At the back I avoid the square cut and opt for a tapered (or rounded) look instead. When it grows in a bit it looks neater.

Just my .02.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rob Rocco
I've also got what's called a right-ear and left-ear taper attachment for my clippers so that the hair right against my temples is shorter than the hair closer to my ears.
I am probably reading this incorrectly, but I think you've reversed what you meant to say. The hair on my temples is longer than that next to my ears. Oh. And beasty? Yeah; I'm white trash.

Rob Rocco

Reaction score
I meant that the hair is trimmed a little closer at the hairline. Not sure why I mentioned 'ears'.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's hippie, thank you.
smile.gif
(Rather ironic to see the term hippie in a thread about cutting one's own hair.)

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive been cutting my own hair for a while now. im actualy pretty good now and can fade the sides and the back with out needing a mirror. i can also shape the back myself, but its easier if you get someone to do it for you. if your just doing the whole thing on a 2 it should be a piece of cake. just make sure you know what number blade you put on and double check. ive had it where i forgot i didnt put a blade on, and then took a chunk out of the top on 0. then you got to shave it all off.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have the luxury of your own backyard or something similar, shaving it outside can save quite a bit of cleanup time.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
If you have the luxury of your own backyard or something similar, shaving it outside can save quite a bit of cleanup time.

Wouldn't it actually be harder to sweep hair trimmings from a grassy yard than a smooth floor?

I kid, I kid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads