• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cutting your own hair?

gege21290

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Have any of you tried cutting your own hair?

Wiker

Reaction score
Its not that hard to just trim it down on the sides like he do... The top on the other hand is much more difficult if you want to maintain some hairstyle.

SnowyAcres

Reaction score
funny seeing this... My hair was about 6 inches long and after many months of letting it grow I decided that I had enough so I cut it yesterday. I felt like Richie Tenenbaum sans the wrist-cutting. Using snips I got it pretty short and finished it off with clippers at 3/4 of an inch. It looked pretty good, a la late-era Damon Albarn, and I was happy until my gf came home. Pretty much freaked when she saw the back of my head, well butchered. I tried to correct it but simply couldn't pull it off.

Today, being a Monday, meant most barbers and salons were closed so I was feeling miffed to say the least. I kept calling around and caught a guy cleaning his store, explained my situation and he took me in for an emergency repair. Last time I cut my own hair again.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gege21290
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Have any of you tried cutting your own hair?

this guy was traded to the wizards right?

kjamesuvic

Reaction score
I've been cutting my own hair for a couple of years now. Using anything besides electric clippers is a terrible idea. Only cut your own hair if everything will be less than an inch in length.

My routine: 3/4 length on the sides and back. 7/8 on the top. 5/8 to blend in the sides to the top.

You can trim around your ears by yourself but always get someone else to do the neck.

*#..

Reaction score
My buddy cut his hair to about a 1 for the first time a couple years ago. When you looked at him in profile, you'd see striations in his hair.

fathergll

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SnowyAcres
\tfunny seeing this... My hair was about 6 inches long and after many months of letting it grow I decided that I had enough so I cut it yesterday. I felt like Richie Tenenbaum sans the wrist-cutting. Using snips I got it pretty short and finished it off with clippers at 3/4 of an inch. It looked pretty good, a la late-era Damon Albarn, and I was happy until my gf came home. Pretty much freaked when she saw the back of my head, well butchered. I tried to correct it but simply couldn't pull it off.

Today, being a Monday, meant most barbers and salons were closed so I was feeling miffed to say the least. I kept calling around and caught a guy cleaning his store, explained my situation and he took me in for an emergency repair. Last time I cut my own hair again.

lmao. First time you're cutting hair and you use scissors? Thats just asking for trouble. I understand you said you used clippers but obviously you did something to mess it up with the scissors

Anyway I've been cutting my own hair for 2 years now.There is a few things you got to grasp in order to actually do it your self

1) As kjamesuvic said electric clippers are a must. Don't even think about picking up a pair of scissors if you don't know what your doing.

2) Understand the basic theory behind of why certain hair styles work for certain facial structures. Hell this is extremely important even if you go to the barber and ask for certain haircuts(At least the Barber can give you advice). Unless your a model with perfect facial structure you need to grasp this

General rule is you're trying to achieve a oval shape. A lot of people don't have this and thats why they can't pull of buzz cuts. If you're skull is flat up top then you need hair to fill it out for that oval look. Thats why Justin Timberlake can pull off a buzz cut. Perfect shaped skull. It forms a natural oval. Thats also why Faux hawks can work for a lot of guys. It gives a lot of guys with those flat skull tops lift to form the oval. The Faux hawk im talking about doesn't have to be extreme, even subtle ones with gives some height can pull of miracles.

http://coolmenshair.com/2008/04/choo...your-face.html

Basic theory is there but you have to realize you're face may not fit neatly into the examples.

3) Once you have that down then you start off very easy and make cuts with the clipper that isn't going to butcher you. For example using an 1" attachment up top and 3/8" on the sides and back is a pretty safe start. From there you experiment with blending(using a 5/8" between the 1" and 3/8") You're going to mess up no doubt in the beginning but if you follow some guidelines you won't butcher yourself.

Also handsfree Mirrors attached to the wall that stick out to give you a side profile and back view is pretty handy.

The one big advantage of cutting it yourself that can give you very good results is you can eventually learn what exactly works for you. When you go to a Barber/stylist you have to tell them or if your a regular they have to remember back 4-6 weeks. Generally there is going to be variations in the barber haircuts whereas you can learn to get something down cold for you by cutting it every 2 weeks.

fathergll

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kjamesuvic
I've been cutting my own hair for a couple of years now. Using anything besides electric clippers is a terrible idea. Only cut your own hair if everything will be less than an inch in length. My routine: 3/4 length on the sides and back. 7/8 on the top. 5/8 to blend in the sides to the top. You can trim around your ears by yourself but always get someone else to do the neck.
Agreed I do 1" up top, 1/4" on sides, 3/8" back. 1/2" and 5/8" for blending. I also use a feathering razor to thin out the top. feathering razors are pretty easy to use if you watch some you tube videos on them. I started cutting my own hair because I was really tired of dealing with the crowds of barbershops trying to get appointment every 4 - 6 weeks. Not to mention the fact I really didn't see $18-$20 worth of service. I really thought to myself I could eventually learn to how to cut my own hair if spent a little money on clippers and some time researching it. I got complements on my hair pretty fast once I figured out a few things through trial and error. Now I can give myself the haircut I envision instead of trying to articulate it to someone else.

ChiliPalmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kjamesuvic
I've been cutting my own hair for a couple of years now. Using anything besides electric clippers is a terrible idea. Only cut your own hair if everything will be less than an inch in length. My routine: 3/4 length on the sides and back. 7/8 on the top. 5/8 to blend in the sides to the top. You can trim around your ears by yourself but always get someone else to do the neck.
This is accurate. I cut my own hair years ago when I wore it shorter and got tired of barbers doing hatchet jobs. I figured the worst I would end up with if I cut my own is what I was getting at the barber shop. Besides, it grows back if you don't get it right the first time. To minimize error, use only electric clippers. Start with a length longer than you think you want or need. Once you feel comfortable, move to something shorter. After a few months, I got to be quite good at it. But as said above, get your girlfriend to do your neck. There is no way you will shave a straight line by reaching behind you. To mitigate aggravation, invest in wireless clippers. They can be found on Amazon.

GZamani

Reaction score
Let the wife handle it. If she screws it up, you own her!

normanorient

Reaction score
Once you start you down that much easier and clipper cut with the butcher actually thought to myself, I finally learn how to cut your own hair is a little money on the shear spent you.I is not going to make sure some time researching it.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I gave myself a buzz cut once. Not doing it again

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the past I used to trim my own hair, but not any more. If your hair is difficult, you're much better off in the hands of a skilled stylist.

From time to time I see people and think, "Yep, that dude cuts his own hair"
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads