• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"cutting up"

Reaction score
I am about 5'10" and maybe 175-180 lbs with an extremely tapered build. My shoulders are basically really big for my height/weight and my waist is barely 30-31 inches. Anyway, just thought I'd give some basic info. I'm looking to cut up for spring break and this summer. I'm currently fairly lean, and while I haven't checked my BF lately it was around 10-13 last time I checked. I am starting to do hard-core cardio every day and I take the recommended dosage of xenadrine. I also have been lifting in the gym about 5-6 times a week, but I am thinking about maybe cutting back on that and doing more of my cardio outside now that it is getting nice where I live. I don't eat meat, but I eat egg whites, Fat Free cottage cheese, and soy products constantly. I also try to drink a lot of water and avoid most unhealthy foods, but because I haven't really been trying to lean down over the winter I've been allowing myself a crazy night out (my body weight in beer, well maybe not that much lol). Anyway, if any of you who are serious body-builders or just particularily knowledgeable could give me some advice I would really appreciate it. I need to know things like should I start working low weight high sets, should I stop lifting as much, should I start doing unsually high amounts of cardio, should I run three miles before I go to bed every night...tricks of the trade.

Gratias.

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
The imporant thing to remember when cutting up is that you are trying to burn the fat that surround the muscle, thus giving a more "ripped appearance."

As BuddahLax pointed out, cardio is a main key as is, yuck, protein loading and carbo-depletion.  You should start incorporating a lot of drop sets, super-sets in your workout.  You will find that this not only gives you a more "ripped muscle" but has great cardio benefits as well.  You might also want to try doing a few "high rep" sets at the end of each workout to give a more toned appearance to the muscle. Also, drink TONS of water to flush your system.

Funny you should ask this question, I am starting my cutting phase TODAY (the honeymoon is in 4 1/2 months).

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Reaction score
Thanks so much guys, here is what I have started/am starting.
By the way, I do eat fish; I used to be vegan but now eat fish and dairy products for health (and ego i.e. bodybuilding) reasons.

1. Cardio everyday instead of on an alternating schedule. Instead of alternating whether or not I do cardio on days I don't lift, I am simply going to alternate between more and less cardio. Basically like at least twenty minutes on days that I lift hard and do abs, but on days that I don't lift as hard I am going to do more. When it is nice outside I have no problem getting out and running several miles or approximately 20-40 minutes depending on how many miles I run (usually 2.5-5); I have been doing this for a long time and it has always kept me very "healthy". My problem is what to do on the days when I cannot run outside for one reason or another. I live in Missouri and our weather is iffy at best right now, so this is fairly often.
When I try to do cardio at the gym I have trouble figuring out what machine to do etc. I like the stairmaster, and I can do it on the highest level (20) for 10-15 minutes. Should I set it a few levels lower and aim for thirty? Should I run on the treadmill even though I hate it, lol, ?

2. I also started trying to cut my carbs, but I have never done this before and have some questions. Is Milk too carb heavy? What about cheese (in moderation, like on my egg whites as a treat)? What kind of fruit can I have/should I avoid? Should I drink anything other than water? I'm fine with just water, but would like to know if I should be drinking some sort of juice. How big should my breakfast be? Compared to other meals?

Random Questions:
Cardio before, after, or before and after lifting?
How many reps is a good high rep/toning set? If I can do say 12 of a single arm curl with 45 lbs, how many lbs should I lower by? Should I do twenty with a 35'er? Or like forty with a 25'er?
Are there any foods I should absolutely avoid or any rules I should absolutely not break? (I am sensing no-carbs after evening is one of these)

Thank you all so much, I appreciate it.

Adam

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
Q: Cardio before, after, or before and after lifting?
A: Cardio after lifting. The lifting will begin to up your heart rate, thus you get more benefit out of your cardio

Q: When I try to do cardio at the gym I have trouble figuring out what machine to do etc.
A: The stairmaster, although good, is more for toning of the legs, not cardio (don't get me wrong, you do get a good cardio workout). The treadmill, unfortunately, is the best as it is pure cardio and the running motion gets your abs as well (the eliptical rider is not bad for a change of pace)

Q: How many reps is a good high rep/toning set? If I can do say 12 of a single arm curl with 45 lbs, how many lbs should I lower by? Should I do twenty with a 35'er? Or like forty with a 25'er?
A: The 12 - 15 SLOW GOOD reps is the ideal high rep - toning for guys.

Q: What kind of fruit can I have/should I avoid?
A: FYI - fruit "flattens" out muscles eliminating the striated look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads