• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cutting body fat - no will power!

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm posting here instead of one of those gawd awful bodybuilding sites. Help me out SFers.

I'm 5'8". I was around 155lbs as of last September. I upped my calorie intake and started lifting 4x per week. I also ride my bike to work 3x or 4x per week, a 20km round trip. I'm now up to 173lbs. I gained a lot of muscle but also a bit of fat and I'm feeling a bit doughy.

The problem is that I'm having trouble starting to cut the fat. Realistically, I don't have time or energy for additional activity. But every time I try to cut my calorie intake (a few times now) I become a moody angry monster ready to snap at anyone or anything. It's like I started eating more and now I just cant stop.

I expect that I'm not the first person to experience this. Does anyone have any tips for getting over this hurdle? Are there any supplements that can help? I'm generally weary of the crap peddled in "health" stores, but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clenbuterol/T3 stack

Last edited:

Zack G

Reaction score
theres a couple things you can do that will actually make a huge difference for you.

cut out the white flour products,and if you dont eat those,try cutting out wheat(breads) as well.just watch the carb intake and
eat a mostly raw food diet with clean meats a poultry
(if your a meat eater that is)

Stop eating after 7 o clock,most people eat way too late at night and go to sleep with a full stomach of food to just sit there

at the end of the day you know your portions are to big and they need to be cut,i know its hard but you need to find the leverage on yourself and get it done

cheers, hope this helps

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you have the time to exercise?

It's either exercise or cut calories, preferably both.

Last edited:

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't give any real info.

How much are you eating? Not some half ass guess. How many calories?

How active are you?

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize that I need to cut calories, and I want to do it. I'm just a beast whenever I try, so I give in and feed the beast.

As for exercise: I ride into work whenever I can. I go to the gym at least 4x per week during the work day. I'm a lawyer. I have two kids. I'm renovating my house. That's why I don't have time for more exercise.

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You don't give any real info.
How much are you eating? Not some half ass guess. How many calories?
How active are you?

Not a half assed guess, but an educated guess is about 2400 calories per day. Aim for about 130 grams of protein per day. Gym sessions are an hour, at least 5 exercises at 4 sets per, heavy weight but moderate intensity, 4 times per week. Cycling is 30 min sessions of moderate intensity, 6 to 8 times per week (3- 4round trips).

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is 2400 what you cut on? Or what you bulked up on? You're getting moody on 2400?

How many weeks in a row do you try to cut?

Between everything a maintenance of over 3000 (I'd bet closer to 3200) wouldn't surprise me. You don't need a huge gap in calories. 2700 would just be a little slower then 2400. Then every month or six weeks do a week of 3000

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5 poasts in and a koolaid drinker is detected

Last edited:

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a food scale and start taking your nutrition seriously.

/thread

Last edited:

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is 2400 what you cut on? Or what you bulked up on? You're getting moody on 2400?
How many weeks in a row do you try to cut?
Between everything a maintenance of over 3000 (I'd bet closer to 3200) wouldn't surprise me. You don't need a huge gap in calories. 2700 would just be a little slower then 2400. Then every month or six weeks do a week of 3000

This...

kicno10

Reaction score
Martin Berkhan's Leangains.com is an excellent resource, as is Andrew Ferreira's 9to5Health.com

Intermittent fasting is certainly the most convenient and effective method for losing body fat without compromising your muscle mass in the process

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads