• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cutler 2 Da Bears

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Kyle Orton has to love this trade.

He suddenly get to throw to Marshal and Royal, 2 of the best young WRs in football, and enjoys the support of a top 10, if not top 5, O-line and a dangerous running game. If he's able to hold on to the starting job, he'll be raking in a lot of doughs in a few years.

Plus, Denver's weather is a lot less miserable than Chicago's.

but what about denver's horrible d? anyways, i am and will always be a huge kyle orton fan (i've done shots with him a few times), he gave chicago fans something to actually cheer about last year and he is a strong leader, but lacks the arm strength and accuracy for the long ball, so even with awesome receivers i wouldn't expect any huge plays. i have my doubts about cutler and without an proven wide receiver i am still going to be doubtful until pre-season starts. for some strange reason, i don't think jerry angelo is done with his surprises just yet, but we shall soon see...

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
but what about denver's horrible d?

Didn't stop Cutler from posting yardage numbers.

For a season, anyway.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Slim, Cutler's inability to win has to be blamed on the Denver defense. When the Broncos gave up fewer than 21 points, Cutler was 13-1 as a starter. He wins when the team gives him a chance.

Great trade for the Bears. This kid's 25, he's got all the tools to be great, and the Bears traded peanuts for him.

So what you are telling me is that his arm strength alone is enough for him to overcome his inability to extend a drive and keep a suspect defense on the bench, even though he cannot also string enough points together to eliminate any chance for a come from behind victory.
smile.gif

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. But shouldn't an "all-pro" QB be able to take his team on his shoulders and do what needs to be done? I know football is more than just one person, but he's the general on the field. So far we've seen little more than his ability to launch a football. Being an elite QB is about managing games as much as it is throwing a ball. Does he have any killer instinct? Can he make the transition in Chicago? Who knows, but he didn't show much of that in any of the games I've seen. I'm not saying he's not a good QB, but the trade package was one that would be expected for an elite QB. Maybe he'll become that, I just don't think he's there yet.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This trade sort of reminds me of a lot of baseball moves the Mariners have made the past five years, overpaying for someone who has one flashy year. Maybe trades like this just automatically instill a sense of dread in me for this reason.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
So what you are telling me is that his arm strength alone is enough for him to overcome his inability to extend a drive and keep a suspect defense on the bench, even though he cannot also string enough points together to eliminate any chance for a come from behind victory.

Don't all young QBs struggle to sustain drives? And doesn't he have the tools to dominate a system like McDaniels, given his physical talents?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. But shouldn't an "all-pro" QB be able to take his team on his shoulders and do what needs to be done? I know football is more than just one person, but he's the general on the field. So far we've seen little more than his ability to launch a football. Being an elite QB is about managing games as much as it is throwing a ball. Does he have any killer instinct? Can he make the transition in Chicago? Who knows, but he didn't show much of that in any of the games I've seen. I'm not saying he's not a good QB, but the trade package was one that would be expected for an elite QB. Maybe he'll become that, I just don't think he's there yet.
Fair enough, but the guy's skill set reminds me a lot of Brett Favre. And he was never known for making great decisions during his career.

Honestly though, I'm playing devil's advocate too. Out of all these young QBs (Rivers, Cassel, Rodgers, Cutler) I'd actually take Big Ben as my QB over any of these guys. He has what you talk about, that timeliness of talent when the team needs him most.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Don't all young QBs struggle to sustain drives? And doesn't he have the tools to dominate a system like McDaniels, given his physical talents?

Fair enough, but the guy's skill set reminds me a lot of Brett Favre. And he was never known for making great decisions during his career.

Honestly though, I'm playing devil's advocate too. Out of all these young QBs (Rivers, Cassel, Rodgers, Cutler) I'd actually take Big Ben as my QB over any of these guys. He has what you talk about, that timeliness of talent when the team needs him most.

Agreed, even though I hate the stealers. Roethlisberger was the first person I thought of when reading your first paragraph about intangibles and sustaining drives. So no, not all young QB's struggle with those things.
smile.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cutler is a huge, huge *****. Basically this all boils down to a temper tantrum. What a douche. Colossal douche. I hope he falls on his stupid face.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Cutler is a huge, huge *****. Basically this all boils down to a temper tantrum. What a douche. Colossal douche. I hope he falls on his stupid face.

About as douchy as Eli Manning and the draft.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I actively hate on the Mannings because of their bullshit in that draft.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sort of amazes me that I can like Peyton so much while simultaneously hating Eli so much.

Anyway, the real dipshit in this whole situation is McDaniels. 1st year head coach, comes to a team with a Pro Bowl QB and a top offense with a **** defense, and the first thing he tries to do is trade his QB for a guy who's started one year since high school. If you're gonna try that you better be absofuckinglutely sure you're gonna be able to pull off the trade.

Which is not to say that Cutler is not a huge, huge ***** as well.

FromCAtoCO

Reaction score
Cutler will STRUGGLE in Chitown. Harsh Fans, Harsh Media, No Brandon Marshall, Chicago winters (yes worse than Denver), plus media scrutiny= FAIL

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
It sort of amazes me that I can like Peyton so much while simultaneously hating Eli so much.

Anyway, the real dipshit in this whole situation is McDaniels. 1st year head coach, comes to a team with a Pro Bowl QB and a top offense with a **** defense, and the first thing he tries to do is trade his QB for a guy who's started one year since high school. If you're gonna try that you better be absofuckinglutely sure you're gonna be able to pull off the trade.

Which is not to say that Cutler is not a huge, huge ***** as well.

I tend to agree. Gutsy move on the coach's part.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Jay Cutler was not responsible for what the Broncos defense did or did not do (when he was not on the field, obviously), so measuring his quality by wins is not reasonable. A better measure of his ability as a QB would be Defense-adjusted Value Over Average (DVOA), which has him at 22.0% better than a league average QB last season, or the 7th best in the league at age 25. Kyle Orton, for comparison, was 25th. Right now, this looks like a catastrophic failure on the Broncos' part.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
Jay Cutler was not responsible for what the Broncos defense did or did not do (when he was not on the field, obviously), so measuring his quality by wins is not reasonable.

This is not really true as I pointed out earlier.

If you have a great QB and a crappy defense, you do one of two things - you keep your offense on the field as long as possible, extend drives, and don't make mistakes like the Colts or Falcons did last year ( Cutler has not done this ) or you outscore your opponent like the Chargers, or Saints did last year ( Cutler has not done this ).

All Cutler has shown he has is a big arm.

The Broncos were 25th in the league in time of offensive possession last year. That puts your D out on the field too much. That lets the other team in the game. That is at least partially Jay Cutler's fault.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads