• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cutaway collars & spread collars

sydneycentric

Reaction score
Facetious question....what is the difference between a cutaway collar and a spread collar on a shirt?

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A cutaway is basically spread so far that it is angled backwards instead of forward slightly.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spread starts at 90° spread. Cutaway is about 180° spread.

Haemus

Reaction score
My impression is 'spread' to be more an American term, as opposed to 'pointed collar', whereas 'cutaway' tend to be used more by British shirtmakers.
Otherwise terms are interchangeable. 'Radically spread' collars from makers like Udeschi, and some models of Crombie are more like 180 degrees, going down to more mainstream 'cutaway' as made by Coles, H&K, CT, TWL, Pink.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Haemus
'Radically spread' collars from makers like Udeschi, and some models of Crombie are more like 180 degrees.
So who makes Crombie shirts? Uk based like R&S? I also see N&L make wide spread at the moment, they do look quite nice.b

Haemus

Reaction score
Radically spread Crombie:
http://www.crombie.co.uk/p/Category_...ts/CS05POW.htm
though regular, not slim and double cuff what I had in mind.
Have no clue as to present place of manufacturing, mine are about 4 yrs old and comparable to H&K, H&H in execution and quality.
Indeed forgot N&L, have three for about 5 yrs, that should have been 'cutaway' though forgot their marketing pitch at the time of purchase. These are as 'cutaway' as Pink from similar timeline. Current N&L 'cutaway' offering is more like Udeschi and Crombie radically spreads.
In terms of spread, probably Coles is the classic. If you like higher collar back grading goes like H&K/Crombie (my favourites in that regard) 1 7/8; Coles/Pink/TML/CT 1 6/8; to the measly 1 1/2 of N&L (vintage variety that I have) and 19 yrs vintage Liberty bought in US (with oh horror chest pocket).
Collar length backwards is Liberty 2 5/8; Coles 2 6/8; N&L/TML 2 7/8; H&K/Pink 3; Crombie 3 1/2.
Would be nice to make a pictorial, possibly past New Year.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A spread is between a cutaway and a point.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 237 31.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.8%
  • 31 - 40