• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cutaway collars and tie knots

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of cutaway/full spread collar shirts that were given to me several years ago, they fit pretty well and are of a far higher quality than anything else I have (or am likely to acquire in the near future) and I want to get more use out of them. Up till now I have always worn them open collared but I would like wear them with a tie sometimes and I can't seem to get the tie knot to sit right.
I usually tie a 4ih, but I absolutely can't get it to play nice with the collars, and I have had little more luck with a half-windsor.
Any ideas?

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size are you? I have at least 5 and my 4ih works rather well, as does my x2 4ih If you don't want them, help a brother out, eh?
wink.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do four-in-hand with both my spread and button-down collars. Anything else is just wrong.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims
What size are you? I have at least 5 and my 4ih works rather well, as does my x2 4ih
If you don't want them, help a brother out, eh?
wink.gif

They work perfectly well without a tie and I have worn them like that for a while, and they belonged to a deeply cool but now deceased relative, so I am hanging on to them.

I might try a x2 4ih, I just find when I tie there is too much "tie space" on at least one side and the knot looks rather bad otherwise, there is spretzatura and then there is scruff, and I am definitely closer to that with these.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would give the double-wrapped 4IH a try.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stick with 4IH, either single wrapped or double.

No is no reason to venture out into the lands of Windsors.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
Stick with 4IH, either single wrapped or double.

No is no reason to venture out into the lands of Windsors.

No, I would rather not, apart from anything else I am quite dyslexic and find tying complex/new knots are real pain **********, but I can do the 4ih without a mirror, one handed thanks to years of dressing for school on the way out of the door.
A windsor requires a diagram and ten minutes. I stick to the most stylish tie knot out of an inability to do anything else. I will try the double wrapped next time I wear one of the shirts and pop the results in WAYWRN.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made a post for people to show off their knots with cutaway collars, search for my post. I'm on my BB so I can't link to it easily.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would do a double or half windsor that is the only way you will get a knott large enough to fill in the extra space a cut away collar will leave.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all a matter of personal preference, of course, but I have quite a few English cut-away collars by Hilditch and Key, and I find that a double four-in-hand looks very nice with them. It's a little thicker and longer than a single FIH knot, but it still fills the space nicely without looking overbearing as a windsor or half-windsor can.

TBSDSpaniard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
I would do a double or half windsor that is the only way you will get a knott large enough to fill in the extra space a cut away collar will leave.

+1
a l'italienne...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads