• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Customs duty to the United Stes

Topcat90069

Reaction score
I've searched and read innumerable threads about this, and I still don't have a definitive answer. If someone could point me to a thread or could provide some first hand experience receiving EU shipments in the U.S., I'd be most appreciative.

I'd like to buy a pair of shoes from a EU seller. Is there a percentage of the stated value I'd be assessed upon delivery? I've read of buyers who had NO duties, and others that were shocked by the size of the imposed duty. A huge fee might be a deal breaker for me.

Also, what liabilities might I be assuming with such a transaction? I know about the $200.00 threshold for charges. What if the seller undervalues the items? Is there a potential hazard in doing that?

I'm simply trying to avoid any hassles. I have a nervous condition and would prefer to actually wear my shoes before I die.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Topcat90069

Reaction score
The seller is using DHL.

I've received things from them years ago, and they were pretty fast.

Topcat90069

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Can someone give an idea of what the charge might be?

5%, 10%, more?

I've read some threads elsewhere about women who were shocked by the duty amounts on EU purchases. Of course, these are things like Chanel bags costing thousands of dollars.

I assume that it's based on the sellers statement of value, no?

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 88 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 161 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 81 16.1%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 46 9.2%