• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Customizing/modifying jeans

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey forum,

I have a pair of Armani jeans I picked up off of ebay, but they looked much different in the photo. In reality, they are a boring shade of lighter blue with a bit of fading running down the front.

So far I've added some whiskers below the pockets and at the back of the knees using a piece of 400-grit sandpaper wrapped around a steel rod. I've also tried to rough up the edges of the pockets and the bottom of the jeans without much success, as well as add a few tiny slices and frays to those edges. So forum, any suggestions for cool custom elements I could add? Also, any ideas to make them darker or at least a tiny bit 'dirty' (like a brownish tinge)? Thanks for the help.

-Eric

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on the jeans, replacing the back pockets with corduroy ones can look pretty good - I like pockets from tan/camel and brown cords.

dmckean44

Reaction score
I've had good luck roughing up seams and pockets of jeans with a cheese grater.

I've always wanted to modify jeans to add more flare though, I'm not sure how I would go about doing that.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck roughing up seams and pockets of jeans with a cheese grater.

I've always wanted to modify jeans to add more flare though, I'm not sure how I would go about doing that.
Just a suggestion to add more flare or a boot-cut look. On the side seam (the one facing inside, not outside) make a 1.5 to 3 inch slit. You may want to sew the edges up a bit to prevent fraying, but it isn't necessary. This adds a more flared look to the jeans, I'm thinking about doing this to the previously described jeans I have.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy