• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Customhide - Affordable quality

TimelessRider

Reaction score
customhide_1945USArmyBriefcase_outside_sm.jpg

customhide_1945USArmyBriefcase_inside_sm.jpg

Made by Custom Hide. Quite nice I think, and well made too. This is the single-compartment 1945 US Army briefcase in brown (http://www.customhide.com/1945_US_Army_briefcase.html).

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very, Very handsome case. Congrtulations to you for choosing it. Much good Karma in that style, IMHO.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
nice! old fashion good stuff not over priced too! thank you for sharing the pics!!

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How stiff is the leather, compared to bridle hide? I like my briefcases to be as stiff as possible, they hold up better.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
How stiff is the leather, compared to bridle hide? I like my briefcases to be as stiff as possible, they hold up better.

Yes-the cases look awesome, but the leather looks soft (which makes sense since I think most people prefer softer leather). I ended up going with a Filson Bridle hide case because of it.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I would rate the leather as moderately stiff. I don't consider it soft at all. Though there is no mention of bridle hide on Custom Hide's site, it wouldn't hurt to ask if it's available for custom orders.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelessRider
I would rate the leather as moderately stiff. I don't consider it soft at all. Though there is no mention of bridle hide on Custom Hide's site, it wouldn't hurt to ask if it's available for custom orders.

I did spend some time with them trying to source bridle hide but they couldn't make it happen.

Rolo

Reaction score
I bought a "Scholar" briefcase from Customhide last year. I have mixed feelings about it.
Catalog-Scholar-Brown.jpg
The biggest problem I have with it is with the edge bindings. The leather is not dyed through and they are not rolled over. Accordingly, the edges show a very light color (probably not as noticeable on the lighter cases, but I have dark brown) and since the edges are not finished, they're a bit raggedy. Also, the website says "antique solid brass hardware," but the buckles have "brass plated" stamped on them. In fairness, however, with over a year of use, the antique finish is showing no signs of wear and the hardware does feel like brass. The leather is very soft, but is wearing better than I expected when I received the case. In short, I don't think this case will last 20 years like my last one, but for around $200 it'll do. Rolo

SteveMetz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo
I bought a "Scholar" briefcase from Customhide last year. I have mixed feelings about it.

Catalog-Scholar-Brown.jpg

The biggest problem I have with it is with the edge bindings. The leather is not dyed through and they are not rolled over. Accordingly, the edges show a very light color (probably not as noticeable on the lighter cases, but I have dark brown) and since the edges are not finished, they're a bit raggedy.

Also, the website says "antique solid brass hardware," but the buckles have "brass plated" stamped on them. In fairness, however, with over a year of use, the antique finish is showing no signs of wear and the hardware does feel like brass.

The leather is very soft, but is wearing better than I expected when I received the case.

In short, I don't think this case will last 20 years like my last one, but for around $200 it'll do.

Rolo

For what it's worth, I just got a "scholar" from Custom Hide and I believe they've addressed both of the problems you mentioned.

TXLAW

Reaction score
Can you tell me how big the "scholar" case is? Can you fit legal size folders or a laptop in it? I'm trying to choose between the Army case and the "scholar."

Thanks.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought this last year. I found the leather to be relatively stiff. I was relatively satisfied, but found the hardware to be rather cheap looking.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the weight of the ranger? or any bag of similar size?

Trying to decide between this one and a filson 257.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
I've had my eye on this one for a while...
Catalog-Organizer-Brown.jpg
Does it make sense to pay $240 for that, or spend double that (i.e. ~ $540) and get this one from Tusting?
t6f91.jpg

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2391-Whiskey.jpg

So I purchase the saddleback leather medium briefcase, and I found the weight far to great for my liking. You think the organizer briefcase with the added backpack function might be a good alternative? There seems to be a 3 pound difference between the Saddleback and Custom Hide briefcase. In addition, what about the quality of the overall bag?

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Very nice-didn't see the price posted or inquired about?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads