• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sambam

Reaction score
When you get a 430 sole on White's, do they use the 430 heel? Or the standard Quabaug? Nicks uses the 430 heel with the 430 sole. Not a big fan of that heel.
99.9% of the time we use the quabaug cap. Very few 430 caps.

Turns31

Reaction score
@sambam Are we able to put the MP plain style cap toe on the Main Streets or just the brogued toe?

discomute

Reaction score
They're here!

discomute

Reaction score
@discomute How's the fit? How did you size? Do they run as narrow as folks say?

I was planning on writing a bit more once I took some better photos. Light is terrible in my house.

Are they narrow? Hard to answer without knowing: compared to what? I've not worn any other White's.

The only boots anyone here might be familiar with is RM Williams in which I wear a "US10.5 narrow." Kyle recommend me 10D in Main Streets.

The fit? Well they fit as good as any store bought shoe. I am very happy I don't need to send them back, seeing how postage is US$65 one way.

They have to be done up tight in order to prevent slippage, though a break in might minimise this. Length wise they are perfect. There isn't much room to move in the right foot, I think it's perfect, maybe only a smidge. The left foot, my smaller foot, is primarily where I have the issue of slippage. After a days wear I can already see eyelet marks forming on the tongue. If it's done tight it is fine. But I can help thinking I might go a size narrower on that foot if I went again.

Since I have narrow feet I struggle to get good fits (which is what drove me to find custom shoes like White's to begin with). I'm a narrow in RM's and I will get by fine with a D so I'm thinking the answer to your question is yes they are a bit narrow.

Another photo with terrible light

And I'll keep you all posted on how it goes getting away with these and a suit in my conservative office....

TH3515

Reaction score
I was planning on writing a bit more once I took some better photos. Light is terrible in my house.

Are they narrow? Hard to answer without knowing: compared to what? I've not worn any other White's.

The only boots anyone here might be familiar with is RM Williams in which I wear a "US10.5 narrow." Kyle recommend me 10D in Main Streets.

The fit? Well they fit as good as any store bought shoe. I am very happy I don't need to send them back, seeing how postage is US$65 one way.

They have to be done up tight in order to prevent slippage, though a break in might minimise this. Length wise they are perfect. There isn't much room to move in the right foot, I think it's perfect, maybe only a smidge. The left foot, my smaller foot, is primarily where I have the issue of slippage. After a days wear I can already see eyelet marks forming on the tongue. If it's done tight it is fine. But I can help thinking I might go a size narrower on that foot if I went again.

Since I have narrow feet I struggle to get good fits (which is what drove me to find custom shoes like White's to begin with). I'm a narrow in RM's and I will get by fine with a D so I'm thinking the answer to your question is yes they are a bit narrow.

Another photo with terrible light
View attachment 1297654

And I'll keep you all posted on how it goes getting away with these and a suit in my conservative office....
That's a legit dress boot right there! As long as your pants cover the speedhooks, that is.
Really nice – not as unique as the classic White's models but still very solid looking.

discomute

Reaction score
@discomute those are awesome. What are the specs?
Main Street, french calf. Black sole thread. Otherwise I don't think much else was customisable.

That's a legit dress boot right there! As long as your pants cover the speedhooks, that is.

That's what I think! And yes, the fact that White's both included the speedhooks in their Main Streets, and, wouldn't let me replace them with eyelets (I really can't see why not, nothing on the boot would need to be changed) is my biggest gripe with them.

My humble guess and prediction is that the speedhooks in the first place was an oversight, and if the MS do okay for them to keep, they will soon make it either optional or all eyelets.

John Frum

Reaction score
I'd be very interested in how they fit – especially in comparison to the other White's lasts.

The only lasts that sort of fit me are the 38 and NW. My foot geometry is bizarro Disneyland. I will compare those two lasts, IME.

The NW has no arch support compared to the Swing. My swings have lowered heels so there ain't much there, but it's noticeable compared to the NW. NW toe is taller. It is also taller in the instep.

Swing toe is wider, it is also tighter in the instep.
Heel is narrower than the NW. The NW has more volume from the ball back to the heel.

I'd compare the NW to the 650 Danner uses too. The toe has much more volume and width than the 610. The heel is almost the same, overall the NW is slightly higher volume.

Last edited:

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
It’s wild to see blind eyelets on a pair of White’s. Those sure look good though & that Black French Calf looks like it will shine as nicely as you want it to go.
Great pair, @discomute!

miggyramone

Reaction score
Got my 3rd pair of 38 Swing SD's in yesterday. Been wearing them for about 6-7 hours on their first day. At first, I thought there was some sort of a mix up at White's because the toe box seemed much narrower than my other two pairs. So far no issue though. Just as comfortable as my other two. I ordered a fourth pair in Natural CXL too haha. I think I have a problem. I'll try to take some pictures later.

marcusg

Reaction score
Distressed smooth smoke jumpers with black bull hide false tongue and original laces. Four years old now and used for work. I’ve not babied them while wearing, but I’ve tried to take good care of them while not on my feet. I like obenauf's boot oil but I wish I didn’t use it on these because it darkened the distressed so much. I’ve recently switched to bicks 4 after a thorough saddle soap cleaning which brought back some of the lighter brown tones which I much prefer to the monotone dark brown. The boots are on the verge of needing a resole now. I’ll probably switch from the vibram 100 to the 430 and I might even go with a close trim.

A68222A4-9866-4791-94B8-2245DDA066D5.jpeg

Last edited:

Phalanx

Reaction score
Got my 3rd pair of 38 Swing SD's in yesterday. Been wearing them for about 6-7 hours on their first day. At first, I thought there was some sort of a mix up at White's because the toe box seemed much narrower than my other two pairs. So far no issue though. Just as comfortable as my other two. I ordered a fourth pair in Natural CXL too haha. I think I have a problem. I'll try to take some pictures later.

Very keen to see your collection of swing last boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads