• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

discomute

Reaction score

What is the go with the edges here? Notice how one has a black streak and one has none. What is it called? If I wanted to ensure a pair of BH's (for example) did not have that black streak that I have circled how would do I do that?

iamntbatman

Reaction score
The black streak is the rubber outsole simply continuing back through the heel stack. So the boot is constructed by attaching the rubber outsole on top of the leather midsole, then gluing and nailing the leather heel stack and rubber heel cap on top of that. In the second boot, there's only a rubber half sole, so it doesn't interrupt the leather heel stack. You need to order the commando half sole (like in the second picture) to insure the heel stack isn't interrupted.

Rolanberry

Reaction score
What is the go with the edges here? Notice how one has a black streak and one has none. What is it called? If I wanted to ensure a pair of BH's (for example) did not have that black streak that I have circled how would do I do that?

The top one has a full black rubber sole underneath the mid-sole, that goes from the heel to the toes, with a leather heelstack and black rubber heel cap underneath that. From top to bottom: Boot leather uppers >>> Leather Mid-sole >>> Full-length Rubber sole >>> Leather heel stack >>> Rubber heel cap

The bottom one is a half-sole that is attached is attached to a full-length leather sole, stitched to the mid-sole above it. Since the rubber portion is only half-length, the heelstack is not interrupted by a layer of black leather. The sole pictured is the Half-lug commando sole. https://whitesboots.com/field/mp-stuart-half-sole/

White's also does a Half-composition sole, that has no lugs. https://whitesboots.com/field/whites-oxford/

As mentioned above, White's normally adds a full length leather sole with their half-soles, so from top to bottom: Boot uppers >>> Leather Mid-sole >>> Full-length leather sole >>> Rubber Half Sole at toe, leather heel stack for the heel with a rubber heel cap

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
call out for some soft toe (non-toe cap) semi dress please :) I need to make a decision for my next order

andy b.

Reaction score
@andy b. - how do you like the smooth over rough build? It’s a classic firefighter combo that’s makes a lot of sense.

I love it. The RO doesn't show any scrapes, and the smooth brown breaks in nice and soft, and stays smooth since it's covered by my pants. LOL
I do use them for work, but generally not in overly muddy situations.
They are 10", which is the tallest I'd ever go. 8" is probably more comfortable unless a person had a need for the taller height.
I don't have them with me at present (I'm wearing something of a more suede desert color footwear lately) or I'd post recent pics. If you look for past posts from me, there are pics of them in this thread.

chicken1616

Reaction score
Was just talking to Kyle about HH SD’s I ordered. White’s won’t do 38 Swing in the size I wanted so I just went with the 55 last. Apparently they won’t do the 430 in anything larger than 13 now. I will be the first recipient of the new 430 Magnum sole

miggyramone

Reaction score
Was just talking to Kyle about HH SD’s I ordered. White’s won’t do 38 Swing in the size I wanted so I just went with the 55 last. Apparently they won’t do the 430 in anything larger than 13 now. I will be the first recipient of the new 430 Magnum sole
That's a trip. What size were you wanting in the 38? And what's the difference between the regular 430 and the 430 magnum?

Phalanx

Reaction score

I managed to get 430 on my 13D/Es but couldn't on 13EE so I think 13D/E is the limit.

miggyramone

Reaction score
When you get a 430 sole on White's, do they use the 430 heel? Or the standard Quabaug? Nicks uses the 430 heel with the 430 sole. Not a big fan of that heel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads