• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolanberry

Reaction score
So, I'm currently on the fence between ordering a pair of Bounty Hunters or MPs. One of my issues is that I wear custom orthotics for a metatarsal issue (which I don't know if I'd still need with arch ease or not because my issue is pain in the ball of my foot).

How is the arch ease in the MP compared to the BHs? Would they better permit wesring an insert?
I think you should contact White's or Baker's directly. They will have experience fitting people with certain needs for their boots.

js0930

Reaction score
So, a question for the group: brown horsehide vs brown dress? I know I want a Semidress, Vibram 430 sole, don’t care about lining either way, just debating my choice of leathers. Love the way the brown dress looks broken in, but there’s just something special about horsehide. Anyone out there with both that could share their opinions?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, a question for the group: brown horsehide vs brown dress? I know I want a Semidress, Vibram 430 sole, don’t care about lining either way, just debating my choice of leathers. Love the way the brown dress looks broken in, but there’s just something special about horsehide. Anyone out there with both that could share their opinions?
I have both and it is well known I am a devotee of horsehide. Horsehide is thinner, but more abrasion resistant. Brown dress is darker, HH has more character. Brown dress shines a little more easily, but both will take a shine.

Is the HH worth the premium? I think so... both look great with a little age on them, but HH is special. Thankfully there are lots of pictures of both... go with what you like the looks of better... there is not really a bad choice here.

discomute

Reaction score
To me, 60% of the differences is the colour, 30% is price. Mostly - what colour do you like better? I'd just go with that one. They're both good.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
So, I'm currently on the fence between ordering a pair of Bounty Hunters or MPs. One of my issues is that I wear custom orthotics for a metatarsal issue (which I don't know if I'd still need with arch ease or not because my issue is pain in the ball of my foot).

How is the arch ease in the MP compared to the BHs? Would they permit wearing an insert better?

The BH's arch support is substantially greater than the MP. The former feels like standing on a ladder rung at first while the MP makes your avg. dress shoes feel like you paid the local shop for custom inserts.
Its my humble opinion to get something on the 55 last hair side out. The Semi-Dress in Brown HH is as good as it gets. Soft/Unstructured toe is my last suggestion; the comfort provided is unmatched

John Frum

Reaction score
So, a question for the group: brown horsehide vs brown dress?

I have both. SD in horsey, BH in brown dress.

I'd go HH without any reservation. My only addition to the other excellent replies to your question is HH has to be lined, where brown dress doesn't. You may notice more heat when the weather is hot. In my experience, the 5 inch SD wears about the same temperature wise as the 6 inch unlined BH.

Sledge42

Reaction score
I'm not sure how far into production it is, but there was discussion that the MP is available on a 55 last if you contacted Kyle direct, probably 100 pages back or so. I'm not sure if that came to fruition or not.

Rolanberry

Reaction score
I'm not sure how far into production it is, but there was discussion that the MP is available on a 55 last if you contacted Kyle direct, probably 100 pages back or so. I'm not sure if that came to fruition or not.

@sambam Sorry to bother you, but a quick question: Is it possible to get the MP boot pattern built on another last, either the Semi-dress or Smokejumper last? (I really like the heel counter.) Thanks!
We haven't truly launched it yet but for you guys yes. The heel base lift we have been working on is finally here, so we can make them now. Standard is unstructured toe which gives it the sleek look. You can add a toe box if you wish. Available in a Dainite or the 1/2 lug, 55 last, Toe cap/no toe cap. We are redoing our website and it should be done in June. It will be on there then. I will post some pics in a few.

sambam

Reaction score
MP-55 last unstructured toe. Cinn wax and Nat cxcel

Attachments

• mp 55.jpg
    mp 55.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 236
  • mp 55 nat.jpg
    mp 55 nat.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 251

Rolanberry

Reaction score
Yes you can in the 55. Just call and ask for it. We are still sampling the 5050 last. Should have those by early spring. 55 arch and a MP toe. The samples we have done look great. Just trying to dial in the size to match the MP and 55 last.

Are you planning the same size run that you currently have in the MP lasts?

I just noticed on Baker's website that they give the option for a 12 E for MP boots. Seems like there are more widths available now. I know 'E' wasn't an option when they first came out, did you add more last sizes to your run?

sambam

Reaction score
Are you planning the same size run that you currently have in the MP lasts?

I just noticed on Baker's website that they give the option for a 12 E for MP boots. Seems like there are more widths available now. I know 'E' wasn't an option when they first came out, did you add more last sizes to your run?
Yes,B,C,D,E,EE. 5-12.5,13, is what we have now. Will get some bigger ones in a few months.

Rolanberry

Reaction score
Do you think a Lace-to-toe on the 5050 would be something you may try in the future?

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, need your help. Trying to get my buddy converted to Whites especially during the BF sale. I’m striking out on Whites and Bakers website. I need to find him a 6-8” boot with a steel toe and meditarsal guard. I am pretty sure I have seen this makeup before (thought it was lineman) but can’t seem to find it.

Sledge42

Reaction score
Rymanocerous:

Man do I feel your pain, I have two buddies of mine that I have been showing them my White's for MONTHS vs what they are wearing/buying on a regular basis.. Both of them just dropped $ TODAY on more Bread Ding's. I even told them that White's was running Black Friday deals too. They still bought the others..

I have more than a few pair of the Ding's, but I feel like I graduated. Once I wore a pair of White's, I'll never go back. Even if that means only 1 pair a year.. or two... Now I have 6 pair of "The Ding's" that are just sitting there being unworn.

As they say.. you can lead them to water, dunk their head in it even.. if they won't drink.. I can't help them!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads