• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just a roll of that dice and that's what came out. Not a special request. All five pairs I got are similar, maybe the same craftsman?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I wish that was my mortgage payment... If so, I’d have a lot more boots!
Come to Central Maine... the cost of living is low!
You get fresh air, nature, rockbound coasts, microbreweries, and all the hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, sailing, and skiing your heart desires... not to mention no traffic jams or big city problems!
The downside is it snows 9 months of the year... (just kidding... it is really only 8 months!)

chicken1616

Reaction score
Come to Central Maine... the cost of living is low!
You get fresh air, nature, rockbound coasts, microbreweries, and all the hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, sailing, and skiing your heart desires... not to mention no traffic jams or big city problems!
The downside is it snows 9 months of the year... (just kidding... it is really only 8 months!)
Spent a couple of years in Maine. All of the upside is true. Unfortunately, the downside negates that.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• C63F428B-C69A-4B3E-9D0D-831B43D64867.jpeg
    C63F428B-C69A-4B3E-9D0D-831B43D64867.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 0978C763-EFF2-4414-9F1F-A171E2A8A1B5.jpeg
    0978C763-EFF2-4414-9F1F-A171E2A8A1B5.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 154
  • ECB5BC5C-2FE4-4D74-9153-41DEB0B066E8.jpeg
    ECB5BC5C-2FE4-4D74-9153-41DEB0B066E8.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 143
  • EF7C7B88-E5DF-421D-B81D-FCE272855F48.jpeg
    EF7C7B88-E5DF-421D-B81D-FCE272855F48.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 18D2EBE0-3F60-4C1D-A653-360D63F40229.jpeg
    18D2EBE0-3F60-4C1D-A653-360D63F40229.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 167

miggyramone

Reaction score
@miggyramone couple more brown bison shot for you
Thank you! What is the texture like? Are they smooth? Oily? Dry?

Weird question, but I'm curious. Before I bought the Brown Dress pair, I read a few people's reviews on reddit and they reared to the leather as dry and smooth. My pair is smooth with a slight sheen/dare I say lightly oily texture. I really like it.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say it’s a mix between oily and smooth, it’s a great hide. Get a sample from a Whites and I’m sure you’ll be hooked. It ages very well too (as shown by my key chain, belt, and valet). Among my favorite hides. The texture can wisely vary, even on the same hide - there are smooth parts with absolutely no texture and then there are large pebbles - and everything in between. From what I see though, Whites does a good job making it look good - so one boot will be like the other. At least what I’ve seen. And the color of brown bison can’t be beat...

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to place an order at Bakers today, but wanted to ask perhaps a silly question if I may.. All my whites boots so far have been plain toes, so I was thinking of doing a cap toe this time. Does adding the cap toe change fit/feel in regards to break in?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to place an order at Bakers today, but wanted to ask perhaps a silly question if I may.. All my whites boots so far have been plain toes, so I was thinking of doing a cap toe this time. Does adding the cap toe change fit/feel in regards to break in?
In my opinion adding a toe cap has no impact on the internal feel of the shoe... the inside of the shoe is formed to the last and will be identical toe cap or no. A toe cap may impact how much a non-cellastic toe collapses over time, but this is not a concern during initial try on or break in.

On their higher end models, White's uses a true double vamp, not skived or as I like to call them "faux caps"... that can mean there is a lot of leather in the toe... the liner and two layers of thick leather... not to mention the celastic if you go for that.

It is further my opinion that any creasing on a properly fit pair of Whites should occur behind the toe cap, so you are not flexing or creasing the triple leather layers. When I go for a true mirror shine, I only shine the caps and the heels because those areas do not flex on my boots... if they did, the mirror finish would crack.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply LE! What would constitute a ‘higher end’ boot from Whites? I’m planning on doing an SD on 55, but it’s the extra leather you mentioned on the toe cap which was what I wanted to ask about. My current SDs in HH fit and feel great so I just wanted to get another pair but with different sole/details.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general White's always did a true double vamp cap. The first inkling I got that this may change was in this post from sambam...

Yes we are. On this style we are cutting the underlying vamp out so it's not a true double vamp like our White's.

I think he was referring to the Main Street line, and then perhaps only the French Calf... in any event it seems some may come with skived toe caps. I think on any SD you will get the true double vamp cap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads