• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chupacabra

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It's definitely a small amount; it surprises me that I can own a pair of 15US Vans which definitely don't hug my feet, but I don't get slippage in those.
@Phalanx I’ve had a little more heel slip in one of my pairs of SD’s. It has been going away and seems better if the last eyelet and first hook are pretty tight. I also ordered 80” leather laces and wrapped the laces once around the back of the boot, and that took almost all the slip away.

mlwdp

Reaction score
Certainly, the Black Dress Which I assume has the same properties as Brown Dress is noticeably less comfortable for me in the summer. But, I would not say the difference is night and day. I think the liner creates a minor insulating effect. It doesn't seem to bother everyone.

I would say walking around in the summer here the HorseHide is about the same as the Black Dress. One of the reasons I switched to Whites was that I was having trouble getting boots without the goretex liner.

Im pretty hard on my boots but I do clean them after use. I hope this helps and isnt adding to confusion. I know how difficult the decisions can be as youll have these boots for decades!

Heres one for Hoppy!

What leather is this on your Smokejumpers?

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@discomute please do share some photos of your French calfs - I need some smooth grained options in my boot stash

On a side note, got my shipping notification today for my first Whites order :bigstar: will post some pictures when they arrive

pbrmhl

Reaction score
I'm pleased I've not experienced any heel slippage with any of my three pair of SDs, one 10EE, one 9.5EE and one 9EE. I'm currently convinced my 9EEs are my best fit, but the others work as well (although the lace spacing on the 10EE make the boots look too large).

discomute

Reaction score
@discomute please do share some photos of your French calfs - I need some smooth grained options in my boot stash

On a side note, got my shipping notification today for my first Whites order :bigstar: will post some pictures when they arrive

Will do!

Can I ask what date you placed your order?

Phalanx

Reaction score
@Phalanx I’ve had a little more heel slip in one of my pairs of SD’s. It has been going away and seems better if the last eyelet and first hook are pretty tight. I also ordered 80” leather laces and wrapped the laces once around the back of the boot, and that took almost all the slip away.

Yeah I actually have found that swapping my red wing laces for the leather laces helps retain the tightness better. I'm usually all the hooks and eyelets too.

I think with a boot like White's a lot of the heel slippage comes with the midsoles. I've found it can take quite a while of wear on those to let them keep flexing with your step before the heel slippage totally goes away.

Yeah I'm definitely not writing these off yet. Two weeks of sitting in the office isn't really much wear in the grand scheme of things. I'll see how things go. I think I'll ask Kyle if I can buy a "voucher" during BF so I can cash it in when I know what my next pair will be.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Netvine

Reaction score

What leather is this on your Smokejumpers?
Black Dress and Red Bullhide (just the backstay)

Last edited:

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Just curious - Whitesriver hasn't posted anything new on Ebay in quite some time. Have they quit selling through Ebay, or are they just too busy to put up anything new? I bought a pair of packers through them some time back at a real fair price, and I'm always keeping an eye out to see what else they offer.

ThreeLions

Reaction score
How have you guys found heel slippage? I have to lace my boots quite tightly to eliminate it; is that working as intended? I'm pretty sure my boots fit correctly and I've put in about 2 week's of office time in them now. The arch is definitely starting to soften and become comfortable now but it's the heel slip I'm having a bit of trouble with.

My brannock is 14 and I just can't imagine having been sized a 13D/E I'd have to go down even more to a 12.5.

Apologies to be annoying with questions. Here's what they're like after two weeks anyway. Lacing them like this stops the slippage but it just makes me think if I were to get a pair of SDs on BF, they'd cause me lots of grief in a 13

@Phalanx, I get where you're coming from about being "downsized". My Brannock sizes are Right: 13 ½ B-C & Left: 14 B. In all tennis shoes / trainers I have to buy size 14. Very few manufacturers make half sizes above size 12, but if they did, I'd buy 13 ½ (not that I really buy off-the-shelf shoes anymore). I have a few pairs of Danner's that are 13 ½ and these fit perfectly. I found out that any of their boots made under military contract have way more sizing options.

Anyway, I'm rambling on too much. White's originally sized me as a 12D. I've also bought pairs in 12C which fit well. I was very surprised at first to be "sized down" 1 ½ - 2 sizes, but clearly they know what they are doing as the fit is great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads