• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General question - anyone on that French calf train from Whites? Seems like you don't see many example.

Last edited:

sambam

Reaction score

Anyone know what color these are? Look too Red to be Brown CXL and too Brown to be Burgundy CXL.

They are brown cxcel. It's just the way the light is in that pic. It is very brown like the pics on the website. Same hides are being used for these models as White's models. Skiving them down a hair.

Turns31

Reaction score
@sambam Are we able to get the Main Streets in Cinn Waxed Flesh? Which of your smooth tan leathers would you recommend if I was looking to minimize the possibility of loose grain? I've heard you guys are great at clicking but I've had bad luck with CXL on my 1000 Miles before.

chicken1616

Reaction score
Been thinking of this black and brown with khakis discussion. Normally I would be on the side of the brown, but I am wearing "business casual" for an "event" next week where I need to look really squared away. I am also wearing to the event (will take off)a leather jacket that is a very dark brown, darker than even the much darkened(Obenauf's) smooth brown leather on my Smokes. I think I am going with the MP's (black CXL horsehide), polished. WIth the black CXL brown overtones, it goes with the jacket as much as anything, and knocks just a little off of the "formal" aspect of a regular black leather. The khakis are more of a dress type, heavy starch and military creases. Black polo.

discomute

Reaction score

Anyone know what color these are? Look too Red to be Brown CXL and too Brown to be Burgundy CXL.

Yup, the gorgeous way brown CXL looks in sunlight.

General question - anyone on that French calf train from Whites? Seems like you don't see many example.

Very much so! I agree it doesn't get a lot of love. Can't wait the post my French calf main streets when they arrive.

@sambam Are we able to get the Main Streets in Cinn Waxed Flesh? Which of your smooth tan leathers would you recommend if I was looking to minimize the possibility of loose grain? I've heard you guys are great at clicking but I've had bad luck with CXL on my 1000 Miles before.

I would recommend contacting White's direct to see if they can do cinn wax. In terms of your questions about loose grain, I am not sure how french calf goes, but I have to say that main streets naturally lend themselves to a French calf in my opinion. They are the most premium of the smooth leathers and sambam has posted examples in black and brown before.

Been thinking of this black and brown with khakis discussion. Normally I would be on the side of the brown, but I am wearing "business casual" for an "event" next week where I need to look really squared away. I am also wearing to the event (will take off)a leather jacket that is a very dark brown, darker than even the much darkened(Obenauf's) smooth brown leather on my Smokes. I think I am going with the MP's (black CXL horsehide), polished. WIth the black CXL brown overtones, it goes with the jacket as much as anything, and knocks just a little off of the "formal" aspect of a regular black leather. The khakis are more of a dress type, heavy starch and military creases. Black polo.

I think I started this, and I have to say it was interesting that everyone referred to them as khakis. In my head the colour was beige and the pant type was Chino. Was it a terminology thing perhaps inherent to the USA I didn't understand? I'd say khaki is a dark green.

Assuming you are talking about pants similar to what I posted. In general the lighter the pant (in navy or brown) the more brown the shoe should be, and the darker the pant the more it should be black. I see a lot of people in the law profession with very dark navy suits and light brown shoes, and I think it looks silly, but then I'm going to try to pull off a main Street in a suit... I digress.

Black goes with lighter colours more than brown goes with darker. But all rules can be broken and the jacket certainly does sound like it lends itself to black shoes.

These are style forums, why not post a pic of your planned outfit, it'd be a lot easier to see it.

sambam

Reaction score
Haven't done the Cinn wax in the main street yet. Leaving that in the White's heritage for now. You shouldn't have a problem with loose leather on any of our boots. Yes, it does happen but not to the extent of other companies.

sambam

Reaction score

Attachments

• brown calf.jpeg
    brown calf.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 282
  • Almond calf.jpeg
    Almond calf.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 270

discomute

Reaction score
We found a darker brown sole thread that we will use on orders.

Would we be able to use this sole thread with other boots, e.g. bounter hunters or semi dress?

@discomute Any idea where to find pics of the brown french calf?

Although sambam has posted better photos, I do recommend getting used to the search function, it is great for lots but especially looking at different types of leathers.

If you were to search "french calf" in this thread you'd be able to find it and others, and if you added sambam as the author it would be even faster.

(I can't alter the order of the photos, it goes top, bottom, middle)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191116-075026_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191116-075026_Chrome.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 253
  • Screenshot_20191116-075104_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191116-075104_Chrome.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 196
  • Screenshot_20191116-075043_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191116-075043_Chrome.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

Phalanx

Reaction score
How have you guys found heel slippage? I have to lace my boots quite tightly to eliminate it; is that working as intended? I'm pretty sure my boots fit correctly and I've put in about 2 week's of office time in them now. The arch is definitely starting to soften and become comfortable now but it's the heel slip I'm having a bit of trouble with.

My brannock is 14 and I just can't imagine having been sized a 13D/E I'd have to go down even more to a 12.5.

Apologies to be annoying with questions. Here's what they're like after two weeks anyway. Lacing them like this stops the slippage but it just makes me think if I were to get a pair of SDs on BF, they'd cause me lots of grief in a 13

Attachments

• IMG_20191115_230804.jpg
    IMG_20191115_230804.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woah, I would love the brown sole thread on a future pair of SD's.
I would consider it if the strength and durability were equal to or in excess of the nine strand Irish linen upon which White's built their reputation.

On the other hand since the Main Street line is not rebuildable, perhaps the thread need not be as robust.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How have you guys found heel slippage? I have to lace my boots quite tightly to eliminate it; is that working as intended? I'm pretty sure my boots fit correctly and I've put in about 2 week's of office time in them now. The arch is definitely starting to soften and become comfortable now but it's the heel slip I'm having a bit of trouble with.

My brannock is 14 and I just can't imagine having been sized a 13D/E I'd have to go down even more to a 12.5.

Apologies to be annoying with questions.
A little heel slippage is OK, lots can be a sign of the wrong last (there is more to the last than the shape and volume of the toebox and waist)... some heel slippage can be fixed with lock lacing:

Another more extreme solution is a tongue pad... seriously, the tongue pad helps with heel slip... it seems counterintuitive, but it works.

Phalanx

Reaction score
A little heel slippage is OK, lots can be a sign of the wrong last (there is more to the last than the shape and volume of the toebox and waist)... some heel slippage can be fixed with lock lacing:

Another more extreme solution is a tongue pad... seriously, the tongue pad helps with heel slip... it seems counterintuitive, but it works.

Thanks for the reply. It's definitely a small amount; it surprises me that I can own a pair of 15US Vans which definitely don't hug my feet, but I don't get slippage in those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads