• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

discomute

Reaction score
Yes, I have unlined Brown Smooth Bounty Hunters and there is no lining in the vamp and upper. It is much thicker and heavier Then Black Dress and Brown Smooth does scuff, but easy to brush it smooth.

On page 840 of this thread you mentioned that you felt your unlined Brown Smooth was much cooler than your lined horsehide, despite the weight difference. You said it was because your Brown smooth breathed easier.

Can I ask how you feel about the totally unlined Brown Smooth vs the "unlined/lined" Brown Dress? Can you compare how they are in the hot weather?

edit: adding this quote
Linafelt is right. My unlined brown smooth (oil tan) bounty hunters breathe much better than my Horse Hide semi dress which are lined but much lighter overall. The unlined brown smooth ive worn working outside for two summers now

Last edited:

Turns31

Reaction score
Anyone have pics of their Main Streets with some wear on them?

sambam

Reaction score
Anyone have pics of their Main Streets with some wear on them?
My favorite pair so far. Working on a Main St version for a White's construction. Will be a cross between a Semi Dress and a Main st with the new 5050 last. Still working on sizing issues but should be good by the first of the year.

Attachments

• main st suede 4.jpg
    main st suede 4.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 232

Netvine

Reaction score
On page 840 of this thread you mentioned that you felt your unlined Brown Smooth was much cooler than your lined horsehide, despite the weight difference. You said it was because your Brown smooth breathed easier.

Can I ask how you feel about the totally unlined Brown Smooth vs the "unlined/lined" Brown Dress? Can you compare how they are in the hot weather?

edit: adding this quote

Certainly, the Black Dress Which I assume has the same properties as Brown Dress is noticeably less comfortable for me in the summer. But, I would not say the difference is night and day. I think the liner creates a minor insulating effect. It doesn't seem to bother everyone.

I would say walking around in the summer here the HorseHide is about the same as the Black Dress. One of the reasons I switched to Whites was that I was having trouble getting boots without the goretex liner.

Im pretty hard on my boots but I do clean them after use. I hope this helps and isnt adding to confusion. I know how difficult the decisions can be as youll have these boots for decades!

Heres one for Hoppy!

Attachments

• DDEB34E4-A1C8-4D33-B991-ADCA2F40DB40.jpeg
    DDEB34E4-A1C8-4D33-B991-ADCA2F40DB40.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 255

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite pair so far. Working on a Main St version for a White's construction. Will be a cross between a Semi Dress and a Main st with the new 5050 last. Still working on sizing issues but should be good by the first of the year.
Any plans to do the Main St in a cap toe? Also wild idea: MP on the 4811 last

miggyramone

Reaction score
Got my new 38 Swing SD's in Brown Dress! Pretty happy so far but again, White's didn't add brown edge dressing. Kinda annoyed by that but oh well. I'll do it myself later tonight. The boots profile is a lot nicer without the cap toe. I think I might skip the cap toe on all my next pairs. I'll try to take some pics later.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on the wingtip version of the main street. In waxed flesh or roughout. Or brown dress....

discomute

Reaction score
My main street should be here in a few weeks, they will likely be worn 5 days a week for work, so if you keep me reminded I'll post them as they age

Phalanx

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on the wingtip version of the main street. In waxed flesh or roughout. Or brown dress....

I'd really be open to a wing-tip SD, MP or MS.

Got my new 38 Swing SD's in Brown Dress! Pretty happy so far but again, White's didn't add brown edge dressing. Kinda annoyed by that but oh well. I'll do it myself later tonight. The boots profile is a lot nicer without the cap toe. I think I might skip the cap toe on all my next pairs. I'll try to take some pics later.

Need pics brah.

sambam

Reaction score
Any plans to do the Main St in a cap toe? Also wild idea: MP on the 4811 last
Yes we are. On this style we are cutting the underlying vamp out so it's not a true double vamp like our White's. This isn't really to save money but to keep the toe shape narrow on the MP last. The french calf is light enough that it will be a true double vamp. You can order it in any cxcel, french calf or suede color we carry. Just don't stock them yet. Will be getting pics up on the website shortly.

Attachments

• black french main st.jpg
    black french main st.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 236

Turns31

Reaction score
Yes we are. On this style we are cutting the underlying vamp out so it's not a true double vamp like our White's. This isn't really to save money but to keep the toe shape narrow on the MP last. The french calf is light enough that it will be a true double vamp. You can order it in any cxcel, french calf or suede color we carry. Just don't stock them yet. Will be getting pics up on the website shortly.
I'm late to the party here but I take it you work at White's? I was going to order the British Tan Main Street but I'll definitely wait for the cap toe version if it'll be available shortly. What about a perf cap toe in the Otto Derby?

sambam

Reaction score
I'm late to the party here but I take it you work at White's? I was going to order the British Tan Main Street but I'll definitely wait for the cap toe version if it'll be available shortly. What about a perf cap toe in the Otto Derby?
You can order both of those now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics