• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pbrmhl

Reaction score
I’m enjoying the evolution of my Smooth Distressed Semi Dress boots. When I got them about six months ago, I put a very thin layer of Obenauf LP on them. Since then, I’ve rubbed them with my finger. Here they are tonight:

AEE9612E-F2C2-4FB9-8ABC-C585B73BE0BA.jpeg
C26E6917-5CE1-4D33-93CF-0C55AB3A3834.jpeg
AEE9612E-F2C2-4FB9-8ABC-C585B73BE0BA.jpeg

discomute

Reaction score
So I have been thinking about my Bounty Hunters

I want a brown set, and you might recall that I might be living somewhere tropical in a year or two. I had decided on some unlined Brown Dress.

However my concern is that I will primarily wear them with beige chinos.

I really don't like black boots with this colour (plus I will have a pair of black Main Streets soon). So I am thinking that my brown dress will be too dark.

Looking at other leathers I am a bit confused. I think that Oil brown and smooth brown are the same, is that correct? And is there anything else in brown leather that can be worn unlined? Is there another type of dress that is a bit lighter than Brown Dress, which looks nearly black in low light?

Phalanx

Reaction score

I want a brown set, and you might recall that I might be living somewhere tropical in a year or two. I had decided on some unlined Brown Dress.

I really don't like black boots with this colour (plus I will have a pair of black Main Streets soon). So I am thinking that my brown dress will be too dark.

Looking at other leathers I am a bit confused. I think that Oil brown and smooth brown are the same, is that correct? And is there anything else in brown leather that can be worn unlined? Is there another type of dress that is a bit lighter than Brown Dress, which looks nearly black in low light?

Brown Dress is pretty much black in low-light. Have you considered Brown or Burgundy Chromexcel? Perhaps Brown Horsehide? Maybe even Red Dog?

On a side note...

Week 2 with my BHs has started. Still breaking the arch-ease in but the size seems good. I'm not really sure how tight the heel should be but if I tie my laces tight I get no/minor heel slippage. Feet were a bit achey after standing for 4 hours at a gig on Friday but that'll be because the arch needs breaking in.

One thing i'm impressed with is that the soft-toe of these boots holds its structure very well. If things work out with these boots (which I'm very much hoping they will) I can't see myself ever going back to a harder toe.

Last edited:

discomute

Reaction score
Thanks for the update on the BH's

In terms of leather, as I might be going tropic I don't want them lined as I'd love them as cool as possible. Horsehide is lined, I believe chromexcel too. LegalEagle has talked me out of cxl anyway, especially for what I predict will be my only set of brown boots for a long time. I do like the look of it though.

Red dog is a good option I will have a look at that, though just off the top of my head, I think I like oil brown more.

andy b.

Reaction score
In the post just above yours are a pair of boots in Distressed Smooth. This is the lightest in color of the heavyweight leathers that Whites offers. I think the "distressed" name is misleading because it is still a smooth leather. In the photos in the post (with the yellow laces) that is about as dark as Distressed gets, even when treated with Obenaufs HDLP.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm no fashion guy, but I have to say that I think black boots look really good with khaki pants... But the Brown Dress would as well.

chicken1616

Reaction score

Might want to think about Red Dog

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And is there anything else in brown leather that can be worn unlined? Is there another type of dress that is a bit lighter than Brown Dress, which looks nearly black in low light?
Some thoughts... I am afraid I have come off as anti-CXL, but I just don't like it for PNW (real) boots. In boat shoes or chukkas or fashion boots, go for it, but know its limitations. Too many people pray at the alter of CXL without really understanding it.

So, need a brown boot with no lining...

1) Brown Dress... yes it is dark, and yes in low light is can look at first glance like black, but it is really not hard to tell that it is brown... and even if it did appear black, black with chinos is not a bad look. The brown dress will age and become more clearly brown, and the lighter brown may show through the surface layer...some people like this look.

2) Brown Oil Tan - this is a workboot leather, no need to line it, and it is underrated because it can be brushed up to a nice glow...if you use saddle soap to remove some of the surface oil, you can even shine it. Not much depth of character but hella tough.

3) British Tan - This is technically a CXL, but does not behave exactly like CXL... it start a nice dark tan or brown and goes over to brown as it ages. If I had to have CXL, this is what I would pick.

If it were me, I would get the leather you really want, and if it is lined, so be it. If I relocated to the tropics, I would likely not be wearing any PNW boots, and if I did, I would order another pair unlined if and when I needed them.

For aesthetics, the best looking leathers are thinner, and need to be lined... that is just the way it is...

Also consider this... oil tan leather is 8oz... Brown Dress and CXL are about 6 oz. HH and French Calf are 5 oz... the leather liner is 4 oz. So if you go HH and liner, you are looking at 9 oz of leather in the shaft... if you went brown oil tan alone, you are looking at 8 oz... not a big difference.

Bottom line, of all the choices above, if you need brown and need unlined and you need a modicum of "dressy", there is no better leather in the lineup than brown dress... sure it is dark, but it is not black, and even if it were, that is not the end of the world, plus it ages beautifully.

Good luck.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
+1 on brown dress looking good with regular tan chinos. Personally I find it a bit weirder when your pants and shoes are too similarly colored.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
One thing i'm impressed with is that the soft-toe of these boots holds its structure very well. If things work out with these boots (which I'm very much hoping they will) I can't see myself ever going back to a harder toe.

Id never had soft toed boots before White's. So much drama @ Reddit about this build type spread out across all the brands/reviews. It was a big leap of faith for me to select that option. Now I absolutely love it. All my soft toe's have held structure beautifully & the slim toe box profile that develops has such a terrific silhouette.

IMG_5857.jpg

Phalanx

Reaction score
Id never had soft toed boots before White's. So much drama @ Reddit about this build type spread out across all the brands/reviews. It was a big leap of faith for me to select that option. Now I absolutely love it. All my soft toe's have held structure beautifully & the slim toe box profile that develops has such a terrific silhouette.

View attachment 1277229

God those SDs look so good. If I'm happy with my BHs, I imagine I'll be plagiarising this build.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
God those SDs look so good. If I'm happy with my BHs, I imagine I'll be plagiarising this build.

credit to @Legal Eagles for being the OG HorseHide guy here and where i got this build. Without him relentlessly espousing the virtues of this leather i'd likely not have ordered them.

This January I'm gonna order the same pair in Black HH on Dainite.

discomute

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the feedback and I had predicted you would all think black and beige go well together - it's just a preference of mine. But a case is certainly made for unlined brown dress, especially looking at those weights posted by LegalEagle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads