• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

discomute

Reaction score
I always miss the best discussions being timezoned Australia, haha, on speedhooks I'd also point out that all eyelets is more formal, so it surprises me that it's not default on Main Street, let alone that it's not an option.

And on the logger heal when I first discovered White's a few months ago I hated it, especially with standard trim. But these things grow on you fairly quickly

John Frum

Reaction score
Pragmatism. Speed hooks when work requires donning and doffing boots often. And, when I got older and can't see as well, the hooks are nice.

A really well broken in pair of boots with all eyelets, using nylon laces, are pretty hassle free.

Tac Lace works great with military style speed lacers.

miggyramone

Reaction score
I am really enjoying my 38 Swing Last SD's. I'm only 3 hours in, but one key thing I've noticed is the cradling of my feet. I felt like my feet were flopping around in the 55 last. These are locked in right out the box. This part is embarrassing but I could not walk a straight line in the 55 last SD's. I don't know if it was due to the angle the Arch Ease held my feet but I veered a lot haha. No issues what's so ever now. Like these were made for my duck feet.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how/when those whites Japan boots are being sold? They look amazing!

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Speaking of White's and Japan, I went to Fukuoka for a few days this week. While I still probably had a good few months left on the rubber heel caps on my Bounty Hunters, I don't know of anyone here in Korea who can put new caps on them. There are little shoe repair shops everywhere but it's a lot of pneumatic nailguns and glue and I've never seen any proper sole materials or heel caps at any of them, so I thought it a good idea to get new heel caps put on while I was there just in case it's a long while before I have access to good shoe repair again.

(Edit: the "before" picture I took is of the inside of the boots so you can see as much heel wear - I walk out the outside edges of my heels a lot more so they were far thinner on the outside edges, I'd say about 70% worn down toward the leather heel stack on the outside edge.)

Anyway, I found this shop called Burrough's which was clearly up to snuff. They had that whole Japanese Americana aesthetic going on, lots of neat boots and stuff around, old machines and hand tools. When I showed the guy my boots his face lit up and he immediately produced a set of Quabug heels and I gave him a thumbs' up. About 40 minutes and $35 later I had a new pair of heel caps, which immediately received quite a few walking and biking miles.

Last edited:

miggyramone

Reaction score
Day 2 update and probably my last until I get a few months in: I LOVE MY BOOTS. Seriously, so comfortable. I'm not going to claim they fit like they were made for my feet but they are damn close. Also, they stay laced and secure! I would always feel like I needed to cinch them down tight in order to get a secure fit. Spent the last few hours running errands with no issue.

The extreme round toe is still something to get used to but it's ok. I'm sure the look will grow on me as I break them in further. Definitely sticking to my wider cut jeans for these boots.

Phalanx

Reaction score
Yeah, curious about the cork filled insole; that's quite a paradigm shift from what White's usually do right?

Netvine

Reaction score
I am really enjoying my 38 Swing Last SD's. I'm only 3 hours in, but one key thing I've noticed is the cradling of my feet. I felt like my feet were flopping around in the 55 last. These are locked in right out the box. This part is embarrassing but I could not walk a straight line in the 55 last SD's. I don't know if it was due to the angle the Arch Ease held my feet but I veered a lot haha. No issues what's so ever now. Like these were made for my duck feet.
I think that I have yet to hear a negative about the functionality of the swing last. I appreciate hearing about your experience with them.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of White’s Japan, anyone on the Instagram should check out their recent video posts. They have some shots from a boots show that are pretty cool.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Yeah, curious about the cork filled insole; that's quite a paradigm shift from what White's usually do right?

You're referring to the Division Road collaboration, yes?

I'm gonna speculate that it's a removable insert similar to a Spenco or like the Cork insoles Redwing offers etc. White's do not have an insole so you hit the nail on the head "paradigm shift" if they remodeled the sole to integrate it into the build. The former is actually a smart idea to ease people into such a ****** boot with arch support the likes of which most folks have never remotely experienced. Remind to lob DR a call tomorrow - id like to get the dirt on this & find out their reasoning behind it.

miggyramone

Reaction score
I think that I have yet to hear a negative about the functionality of the swing last. I appreciate hearing about your experience with them.
It's a great fit. I was pretty bummed about my original SD's on the 55 last. It wasn't til the Patront Saint of thee 38 Swing Last, Legal Eagle mentioned his past fit issues that I started looking into the 38 Swing. I am thankful for this place and that dude. I think I would have either sold off my SD's or just wore them regardless of how uncomfortable they were.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Thoughts on distressed smooth for an MP build? I like the idea of something a little tougher than chromexcel because I don't love the scuffs, but it's for a pair of boots that'll primarily be worn in town/city so I'm probably being ridiculous. Also considering waxed flesh.

sambam

Reaction score
@sambam congrats on rolling out this collaboration with Division Road

These look great!

Specs

• Natural Chromexcel – Horween (USA)
  • Exclusive to Division Road
  • 6" Height
  • 55 Last - D Width
  • Unlined
  • Oxidized Eyelets
  • Gusseted Tongue
  • Logger Counter w/ Leather Pull Loop
  • Single Structured Toe
  • Multi-paneled Upper Construction
  • Arch Ease Leather Shank
  • Cork Filled Insole
  • Brown CXL Hand Welt
  • Brown Stained Leather Midsole & Heel
  • Commando Lug Half Sole & Logger Heel
  • Natural Rawhide Leather and Flat Waxed Laces
  • Natural CXL Kiltie
  • Custom Collar Stamp
  • White's x Division Road Collaboration Stamp
  • Hand Sewn Welt - Stitchdown Construction
  • Made in the USA
Thanks. Jason did a great job on this. The cork filled insole is just the piece of cork we put in to help fill the void from the top of the shank to the end of the toes on the insole. No changes in construction. We have been doing it this way for a while now.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on distressed smooth for an MP build? I like the idea of something a little tougher than chromexcel because I don't love the scuffs, but it's for a pair of boots that'll primarily be worn in town/city so I'm probably being ridiculous. Also considering waxed flesh.

As has been observed on this board in the past, nothing scuffs up CXL like office chairs! You may want to think about brown or black dress leather, which is actually pretty hardwearing and scuff resistance by all accounts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads