• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^The Vibram 269 does have a history of wearing out quickly. Something to be aware of at least.

chicken1616

Reaction score
^^The Vibram 269 does have a history of wearing out quickly. Something to be aware of at least.
I have read that on here before. I think it wears at least the same as the comparable 700, which is much inferior, IMHO. The 430 and, of course, the 100, are thicker and therefore wear longer. Just my thoughts.

John Frum

Reaction score
Note for the duckfooted. On the 12FF Swing the options are leather, 100, 700.
Not sure where the size/width cutoff is for the 430 and 269.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
@chicken1616 - what do you like better about the 269 vs. the 700?

I will be due for a resole on my work boots & the 700 is my current go-to bc I can't be tracking mud into houses. Is the 269 ASTM rated?

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
I've seen plenty of soft toe's posted here, generally fresh out of the box, but I haven't seen this sort of indentation.

Is:
a) these indentations are an exception,
b) photos straight out of the box hide what happens without a cellastic toe, or
c) other?

I have a few pairs of soft toe White's. I keep them treed & all have toe caps (so 3 layers of leather in the toe). Ive never dealt with any issues with collapse or deformation. Here's a quick shot I just took of the soft toe crew with trees OUT -
IMG_5605.jpg

discomute

Reaction score
Thank you so much for that.

Random vent - I just got a $10k printing unit for the office that apparently cannot scan my sketchings because I did them in pencil!

mr. burns

Reaction score
Even for a hard sole it's extremely comfortable. The 700 killed my feet at times. The 269 is nice and bouncy. I can't say enough good things about that sole.

The 700 that came with my resole feels a little softer than the original one, but I like that it's a little harder because it lasts that much longer. I'd shred through the 269 in no time and I've seen issues with the tread peeling off. I got 4 years of daily use out of the last 700 and the grip pattern it has is better for my work conditions on smooth concrete that can be wet at times. It provides good slip resistance even as it wears out. The 269 wouldn't provide any. Also wanted a full sole so I didn't have to worry about damaging the leather underneath with water/chemicals or sharp surfaces.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@discomute
Another thing, my foot geometry is not typical. I had to go with a last and size to accomodate freak toe shape/splay that isnt symmetrical to the last vs. the shape of my foot excepting the toes. I think the creasing is atypical. I hope this makes sense.
I looked at pics of every pair of White's available. Here, AAAC, Reddit, Ironheart... I agree with you.
I have similar creasing although not as bad on the 55 last. I wish I had known the toes were this soft as ii would have chosen clastic or gone with toe caps.

Iotapa

Reaction score
I went half size down for my MPs and the fit was spot on. It probably has more to do with my specific feet, but my MPs have spoiled me because I doubt I could find a more perfect fitting boot.

Yes that's what I'm planning as well, but Kyle said I should go down a full size. I know a few people have done that, usually ones with difficult sizing issues, and I'm not convinced that I am one of them.

miggyramone

Reaction score
The 700 that came with my resole feels a little softer than the original one, but I like that it's a little harder because it lasts that much longer. I'd shred through the 269 in no time and I've seen issues with the tread peeling off. I got 4 years of daily use out of the last 700 and the grip pattern it has is better for my work conditions on smooth concrete that can be wet at times. It provides good slip resistance even as it wears out. The 269 wouldn't provide any. Also wanted a full sole so I didn't have to worry about damaging the leather underneath with water/chemicals or sharp surfaces.
Yeah, I can see it being bad for work. As a casual boot though, it's great. At least for West Coast weather.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Long time no post. Bounty Hunters holding up well:

Anyone have any info about getting new heel caps put on their White's by people other than White's/Baker's? I'm not getting close to the heel stack just yet, but I very well might before too long. Shipping expenses just to get a new heel cap put on would be pretty nuts, and the rest of the sole has tons of life left. Is this something that can be safely handled by most cobblers?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time no post. Bounty Hunters holding up well:

Anyone have any info about getting new heel caps put on their White's by people other than White's/Baker's? I'm not getting close to the heel stack just yet, but I very well might before too long. Shipping expenses just to get a new heel cap put on would be pretty nuts, and the rest of the sole has tons of life left. Is this something that can be safely handled by most cobblers?

If it is just the heel cap, not the leather heel stack, any cobbler should be able to do it. Mine charges $15... the key is not to let the wear reach the leather heel stack... catch it before then and you are gold. Most cobblers have several different heel caps to choose from... mine carries the Vibram and Cats Paw lines. Don't let it get to this point:

1571849618742.png
The key is to ask the cobbler to be careful matching the contour of the new cap to the existing heel stack. You do not want them sanding, cutting or reforming the leather... just blending the new cap to the stack.

I tend to go through heel caps faster than the rest of the sole, so I will get new heel caps more often... at $15 it is a simple fix. I tried metal taps on the heels, but they were slippery and noisy.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think I want taps either for those same reasons. Any preference on the brand? So far I've found that I really like the Quabaug heels on my Bounty Hunters and Cykels more than the Vibram commando heel on my MPs. The latter has the same issue as Dainite in that it tends to hydroplane really bad on smooth, wet surfaces. I never worry about that with the Quabaugs.

chicken1616

Reaction score
Yeah, I can see it being bad for work. As a casual boot though, it's great. At least for West Coast weather.
I agree. I can't comment on it for work. I was referring to casual wear. I have only worn the #100 for work.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
"Yeah, I don't think I want taps either for those same reasons. Any preference on the brand? So far I've found that I really like the Quabaug heels on my Bounty Hunters and Cykels more than the Vibram commando heel on my MPs. The latter has the same issue as Dainite in that it tends to hydroplane really bad on smooth, wet surfaces. I never worry about that with the Quabaugs."

These Goodyear Crown Neolite heels are pretty similar, I think, to the Quabags in look and composition/performance:

I've had good luck with them, and have even installed them myself on a couple of pair of older boots.

Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics