• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

miggyramone

Reaction score
As with when they were brand new the heels aren't perfectly symmetrical but it's only the kind of thing you notice when they're fresh from the factory. When they were new one of the heels had much more of a shelf than the other, but once they got worn in a bit they looked the same.
Out of curiosity, is it the right boot that has the shelf? For some reason both my Nicks and my one pair of White's have/had a shelf on the right boot heel haha. Weird.

mr. burns

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is it the right boot that has the shelf? For some reason both my Nicks and my one pair of White's have/had a shelf on the right boot heel haha. Weird.

It was actually the left. Can kinda see it in this shot.
23041544774_df8342d1be_b.jpg

miggyramone

Reaction score
It was actually the left. Can kinda see it in this shot.
23041544774_df8342d1be_b.jpg
I like a shelf on the back of my boots. I like how my jeans land/rest on it. Wish more boots had them. I'm gonna try to request it on my next pair of White's.

mr. burns

Reaction score
I cuff my jeans so it serves no purpose to me other than getting snagged on things and eventually bashed in.

Would be funny if they added a heel shelf option.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
there is a shelf option on the Cowboy Packer. it's called a Spur Shelf. i wouldn't be surprised if White's would add this to a different style if asked.

chicken1616

Reaction score
Sorry if I asked you this before, but how long did you wait? I am waiting on a rebuild. I think it's been 2 weeks.
Roughly a month. straight through White's. If you go through Baker's, of course it will take a little longer.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Greetings, everyone,

I finally joined the forum just because of the boot threads, after spending quite some time reading through all (or at quite a bit ;) ) of the information offered here. I'm afraid I have little to offer the group, but I do have some questions about a couple of pairs of White's boots that I have accumulated over the years. I'll save those until a time when I can take and post photos, though.

My reason for posting now, however, is that I want to purchase a pair of White's packers, round toe, on the 690 last. I recently picked up a used pair of Hathorn pointed toe packers at a real steal that I was hoping to use to estimate size for my new boots. Can anyone tell me what last is used for the Hathorn pointed toe packers, please? And maybe, how that last compares to the 690? The size on these Hathorns, broken in, is 12D and they are perfect in width, but a touch long. I'm thinking 11.5E for the new ones, if the lasts are comparable?

Thank you in advance!

chicken1616

Reaction score
Greetings, everyone,

I finally joined the forum just because of the boot threads, after spending quite some time reading through all (or at quite a bit ;) ) of the information offered here. I'm afraid I have little to offer the group, but I do have some questions about a couple of pairs of White's boots that I have accumulated over the years. I'll save those until a time when I can take and post photos, though.

My reason for posting now, however, is that I want to purchase a pair of White's packers, round toe, on the 690 last. I recently picked up a used pair of Hathorn pointed toe packers at a real steal that I was hoping to use to estimate size for my new boots. Can anyone tell me what last is used for the Hathorn pointed toe packers, please? And maybe, how that last compares to the 690? The size on these Hathorns, broken in, is 12D and they are perfect in width, but a touch long. I'm thinking 11.5E for the new ones, if the lasts are comparable?

Thank you in advance!
Had both. Couldn't tell much of a difference in the last, if any. Curious as to why you say they are too long.?

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Had both. Couldn't tell much of a difference in the last, if any. Curious as to why you say they are too long.?

Thank you for the reply, that helps. There is a little too much length in the toe, and the arch could be just a touch further back to best fit my foot.

I have a pair of White's that may either be packers or the Stockman; I bought them very lightly used some years back. I was told they were the Semi-Dress model, but they definitely are not the SD unless they have changed substantially over the last 10 years or so. They are 11.5D, perfect in length, but just a little bit snug even with lighter socks than I normally wear.

Thank you again!

chicken1616

Reaction score
The arch is a valid observation. Go with that. Unless the toe being too "long" causes an issue, for me it is a moot point. Sounds like the 11.5E might be a good way to go.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Unless the toe being too "long" causes an issue, for me it is a moot point.

Agreed. I can deal with a little extra toe length, but even a little too short is torture! I've successfully broken in boots that were a little too narrow (eventually), but wouldn't want to try doing that with the length!

chicken1616

Reaction score
if you post a pic of the White's I can probably guess what they are. Don't get to
Thank you for the reply, that helps. There is a little too much length in the toe, and the arch could be just a touch further back to best fit my foot.

I have a pair of White's that may either be packers or the Stockman; I bought them very lightly used some years back. I was told they were the Semi-Dress model, but they definitely are not the SD unless they have changed substantially over the last 10 years or so. They are 11.5D, perfect in length, but just a little bit snug even with lighter socks than I normally wear.

Thank you again!

Don't get too caught up in nomenclature. The important thing is the last number. If you post a pic I can probably guess what they are

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Don't get too caught up in nomenclature. The important thing is the last number. If you post a pic I can probably guess what they are

Exactly right! I honestly don't care what model they are - I like them, and at the time I bought them I didn't know the difference between the models anyway. The only reason I mentioned them is because I was, indeed, using them as a comparison for the last (which I think would be the 55?).

I will post a photo sometime soon, but the stitchdown method without added welt, 8" height, and steel toes make me believe they are comparable to the current Stockman.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads