• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@HolyBootsBatman - Distressed is really thick and extremely durable stuff. It’s also quite supple. I have R/O & Smooth which are both fantastic.
If I had to choose one, I’d go smooth. After a thorough washing it comes out to a nice, light tan. This creates a canvas for any shade of brown depending on which care product you go with. When new, it’s a very much Matte finish. Again, depending on care - this can patina into something hardened & shiny like a saddle. The term underrated gets thrown around a lot but I think Distressed might truly own this title.
I’d love to see some photos. Distressed has always interested me.

miggyramone

Reaction score
What are you guys using to condition your boots? I have been looking back at old posts/photos and a lot of you have beautiful aged boots. I've always heard to stay away from oil but a lot of captions the photos with 'just oiled'.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you guys using to condition your boots? I have been looking back at old posts/photos and a lot of you have beautiful aged boots. I've always heard to stay away from oil but a lot of captions the photos with 'just oiled'.
It depends on the type of leather. I treat each kind differently. Once size does not fit all.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
@miggyramone: re: boot conditioning

My #1 rule for selecting a good product is that it minimally alters the leather. I follow this rule even for my work boots & I’ll buttress that theory by stating that I believe less is more & that leather is quite robust; does not require a lot of product.

Work boots: Lexol. Penetrates well & doesn’t darken much after it drys. Inexpensive & easy to apply. Economical.

Casual: VSC. Venetian Shoe Cream is similar to hand lotion with wax. Recommended by Horween & has no noticeable affect of leather color. Also useful for maintaining Wax Flesh. Can be buffed to a dull shine.

Dress: Saphir Medaille D’Or 1925 Paris, Neutral. Paste wax with nourishing ingredients. Can be buffed to a medium shine. Smells god tier. Expensive but a little goes a long way.

Edge/Mid/Outsole dressing: Resolene is the buzzword around here. Similar to clear nail polish. Gives an excellent shine & protective coating to the heal stack. In my experience, weather makes it wear down to a poor look. Does not condition leather. Lately I have been using White’s HD LP and/or Lincoln Wax Polish. Sand paper is a great tool for removing stains/blemishes & restoring that factory look. 300 grit is a good place to start.

miggyramone

Reaction score
That was really thorough, thank you! I've used Bick 4 for most of my adult life. It does an ok but sometimes I feel like it leaves leather fairly dry (I live in southern califonria). I also hate how it gets in all the seams and crevasses. It buffs out but it's still annoying. I'll take a look at VSC.

PaintSplattered

Reaction score
Yep, those are very nice indeed. Too much heel for me, but otherwise just about perfect.

It's interesting, some of the earlier versions of the MP had a once piece (Viberg-style) heel counter/backstay, as in the pic below, but looks like maybe they've settled on separate heel counter and backstay (if I am using those terms rightly).

View attachment 1234019

Perhaps there’s a way to order that detail now? Maybe @sambam could tell us?

Funny how one detail can make a huge difference. The design flows better. I’ll add that, to me, this makes a difference on service boot models from all makers.

Only my opinion, of course.

*Edited for clarity*

Last edited:

Neognosis

Reaction score

Saphir Renovateur, followed by Saphir shoe cream, followed by Saphir shoe polish. This routine every few weeks or months.

If they are stained with grease or something really bad, then Saphir Renomat, then the above. In five + years of heavy use, I've only needed to use the Renomat twice. Once when I had heavy grease staining the toes, and once to strip years of wax off and start over.

Please allow me to be perfectly clear: I think that if you bought the boots, you should be left to do whatever you want with them.

That being said, I believe that the majority of the "conditioning" that folks on this forum do is unnecessary overkill, and is really more about interacting with their purchase than it is in taking care of their boots so that they last a decade or more.

miggyramone

Reaction score
That's an interesting take on thing. I've tried Saphir a long time ago when I used to live in made in England doc Martens. I might check that stuff out or maybe the Saphir grease, as horsehide is a bit oily.

thewinedown

Reaction score
Yep, those are very nice indeed. Too much heel for me, but otherwise just about perfect.

It's interesting, some of the earlier versions of the MP had a once piece (Viberg-style) heel counter/backstay, as in the pic below, but looks like maybe they've settled on separate heel counter and backstay (if I am using those terms rightly).

View attachment 1234019
I emailed Kyle at bakers to see if they can do this build and he said:

Yes, we can get this for you.

It’s allied the M-1 0 it’s on the Barrie last but just with the one-piece heel counter x backstay.

Price is the same: $519.95

Thank you,

Kyle

So the M-1 0, or is the 0 a typo?

Sledge42

Reaction score
White's did a collab with Huckberry (MP-M1) with a single backstay. They are here with all angles in pictures (although now sold out) but if you can get them made- they are sweet! I own a pair:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White's did a collab with Huckberry (MP-M1) with a single backstay. They are here with all angles in pictures (although now sold out) but if you can get them made- they are sweet! I own a pair:

The pic I posted above was from a site called Garmentory, which I know nothing about, but they still have several sizes listed:

Chupacabra

Reaction score
Brown Bison SD’s

Sledge42

Reaction score
The pic I posted above was from a site called Garmentory, which I know nothing about, but they still have several sizes listed:

I know for fact... at some point, I am going to own a pair of White's in Olive Waxed. Dayyum it be sexy!

Sledge42

Reaction score
They have arrived: 8" Bounty Hunter in Elk Tan:

Custom White's Smoke Jumper 2332CB

Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter) 55
Counter Leather: Brown Elk Tan Smooth
Toe Vamp Leather: Brown Elk Tan Smooth
Upper (Shaft) Leather: Brown Elk Tan Smooth
Leather Liner: Brown
Lace Design: Plain Toe
Pull Loops: Leather Pull Loops
Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe
Toe Cap: No Thanks
Toe Cap Leather Color: Does Not Apply- NO Toe Cap
Steel Toe: No Thanks
Hardware: Antique Eyes & Hooks (Request for 4 eyelets at bottom and speed hooks all the way up- including top)
Height: 8"
Top: Rolled Top
Midsole: Single
Sole Trim: Standard 2 Row
Edge: Brown
Heel Base: 90 Degree Blocked Off Heel (Traveler)
Heel Lifts: Standard
Sole: Commando Mini Lug Half Sole
Size - Length: 11.5
Size - Width: E
Logos/Embossing: Yes- I want standard logos and embossing

Attachments

• 20190904_192725.jpg
    20190904_192725.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 265
  • 20190904_192658.jpg
    20190904_192658.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 20190904_182116.jpg
    20190904_182116.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 291
  • 20190904_192544.jpg
    20190904_192544.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 282
Reaction score
Well, I joined the club yesterday. I got my custom bounty hunters made of black horsehide. My hazing has begun with this break in, geez that gusseted tongue! I will follow up with specs and pictures soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads