• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFetter

Reaction score
I think the dress leathers are a bit underrated, I got dress brown due to liking how this one aged. While I do like CXL I much prefer the waxed flesh variants.

Edit:

Not to be dense, but these photos are of boots in dress brown, correct? Gorgeous boots. Any idea who owns them or additional pictures of the aging process?

SleepyTexan

Reaction score
Not to be dense, but these photos are of boots in dress brown, correct? Gorgeous boots. Any idea who owns them or additional pictures of the aging process?

Yes, that's right. No idea if the owner has an account on here but you can see them on Reddit.

I'm not sure if it's because I have a "new" account but I'm not allowed to post links easily so add the below portion to get the original source.

/r/goodyearwelt/comments/2nsjra/_/

miggyramone

Reaction score
Either my feet suck or my gf sucks at tracing my feet (let's blame her! haha)

I sent a set of tracings to White's for a cross reference with Baker's. They said my left foot is bigger, even though every other fitting I've had says my right foot is bigger. I don't know how I managed to get those results. Either way they sized me at a 9.5 F, which is what Kyle sized me as. So I'm keeping my HH SDs and moving on with my life haha. They may fit a little bit off but if both places say I'm that size, then I have to believe it.

HolyBootsBatman

Reaction score
Yes, that's right. No idea if the owner has an account on here but you can see them on Reddit.

I'm not sure if it's because I have a "new" account but I'm not allowed to post links easily so add the below portion to get the original source.

/r/goodyearwelt/comments/2nsjra/_/

I got the page to work with:
/r/goodyearwelt/comments/2nsjra

Worth a look

thewinedown

Reaction score
Hello gorgeous! Arrived in 5 weeks, 5 days in plenty of time for fall. Best fitting shoe I’ve ever owned, and they aren’t even broken in.

Attachments

• 0742C35A-3877-4592-8D28-06D0D281713B.jpeg
    0742C35A-3877-4592-8D28-06D0D281713B.jpeg
    385.8 KB · Views: 181
  • 3ADC03C1-A781-463A-88A0-AD25F022A463.jpeg
    3ADC03C1-A781-463A-88A0-AD25F022A463.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 158
  • 8DD45111-2085-4F5F-B070-C2E6A83AD37D.jpeg
    8DD45111-2085-4F5F-B070-C2E6A83AD37D.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 132CC280-E3BD-4D1E-ADBA-173152CA1005.jpeg
    132CC280-E3BD-4D1E-ADBA-173152CA1005.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 184
  • 060A1606-C70F-46FC-B45E-C902E21B3681.jpeg
    060A1606-C70F-46FC-B45E-C902E21B3681.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 204

Phalanx

Reaction score
I have a few of questions about the MP boot

1) Quite a lot of posts on /r/goodyearwelt show the Cinnamon waxed flesh leather to be quite dark (similar to the dark waxed flesh). Does the cinnamon darken with age? I think they both look good.
2) How much lighter is the MP boot compared to say, the BH boot?
3) What's everyone's favourite leather? I'm very much leaning towards cinnamon or dark waxed fleshed.

thewinedown

Reaction score

1) Quite a lot of posts on /r/goodyearwelt show the Cinnamon waxed flesh leather to be quite dark (similar to the dark waxed flesh). Does the cinnamon darken with age? I think they both look good.
3) What's everyone's favourite leather? I'm very much leaning towards cinnamon or dark waxed fleshed.
I haven’t seen the dark brown WF in person, but those photos I just posted above of the cinnamon are about as light as they look. Those were all taken on a full sun day in strong lighting. I would bet the dark brown would look nearly black.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score

1) Cinnamon & Dark Brown waxed flesh
I have both and the Cinnamon is definitely lighter. Both leathers, esp the Cinnamon will lighten with age, not darken(unless you put product on them). WF should come with a disclaimer: "enjoy this while you can" as that beautiful, new finish that draws everyone in disappears quickly. Kind of a like a Labrador puppy growing up haha. I think folks really ought to look at well worn WF in it's hairy, matted rough out state and if they love that, BUY A PAIR. Personally, I really like that and it's what i was looking forward too so I'm a happy camper.

Noticeably. On foot, the MP's immediately feel sportier. Both of my BH's are 7" in height. BH's are built with a heavier midsole & larger heal stack which makes them feel chunkier on foot. The MP's have a thinner midsole, narrower last and have a gutted arch-ease support. This might not make a big difference on the scale, but you put them on and wear them you can absolutely feel the difference.

3) favorite leather?
Brown Horse Hide from Horween. One of the few things in life that lives up to the hype. Honorable mention to Distressed - Smooth or Rough Out. I have both and just love the stuff.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Cinnamon & Dark Brown waxed flesh
I have both and the Cinnamon is definitely lighter. Both leathers, esp the Cinnamon will lighten with age, not darken(unless you put product on them). WF should come with a disclaimer: "enjoy this while you can" as that beautiful, new finish that draws everyone in disappears quickly. Kind of a like a Labrador puppy growing up haha. I think folks really ought to look at well worn WF in it's hairy, matted rough out state and if they love that, BUY A PAIR. Personally, I really like that and it's what i was looking forward too so I'm a happy camper.

Noticeably. On foot, the MP's immediately feel sportier. Both of my BH's are 7" in height. BH's are built with a heavier midsole & larger heal stack which makes them feel chunkier on foot. The MP's have a thinner midsole, narrower last and have a gutted arch-ease support. This might not make a big difference on the scale, but you put them on and wear them you can absolutely feel the difference.

3) favorite leather?
Brown Horse Hide from Horween. One of the few things in life that lives up to the hype. Honorable mention to Distressed - Smooth or Rough Out. I have both and just love the stuff.
+1 on the horsehide, and if you want to restore the waxed flesh, Venetian Shoe Cream is the way to go... I thought you would want to use something like... oh, I don't know... wax? But no... VSC... who would have thought it?

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first custom White's order arrived yesterday. Ordered through Baker Boots on Instagram. Such an easy process.

Other than wishing they had spent more time on the sole edge finish, they came out perfectly.

0CBDB7E6-C608-438E-941C-4260C8C0410D.jpeg
A817325B-285D-47BB-B165-E2BEEE1CF8CE.jpeg
DC25D4CE-3AD7-4DF2-A1C4-494100448011.jpeg

Here's my details

White's 350 on NW Last
Smoke Jumper 6"
Brown Horsehide smooth quarters
Black Horsehide smooth Tongue/gusset Distressed Rough-out toe vamp, heel counter and pull loop
All black eyelets
Stacked Leather midsole, natural edge finish
Cream liner
Black Vibram mini ripple sole
Single row welt stitch
Soft toe
White’s Logo

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
That’s a really fun & creative combo. My 2 favorite leathers from White’s in 1 boot! Those will develop some great character as they break in.

I’ve never seen a 360 welt on White’s before. Is this standard on the 350 last? The rear trim is quite a bit more substantial due to this I assume?

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a really fun & creative combo. My 2 favorite leathers from White’s in 1 boot! Those will develop some great character as they break in.

I’ve never seen a 360 welt on White’s before. Is this standard on the 350 last? The rear trim is quite a bit more substantial due to this I assume?

I'm not sure if it's standard, but it isn't unique to my build (I didn't specify in my order).

Here's the post I saw that inspired me to place an order. This has a 360 welt as well.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Had a srs 911 moment yesterday.. was doing a bit of laundry & spilled a few drops of bleach on the toe of my right boot. Immediately put them in the sink & rinsed with warm water. Followed it up with a saddle soap bath (which did essentially nothing to the heavy indigo crocking on the uppers). After 24hrs of drying I am relieved to see no bleach spots. Time will tell if there is any fading to be revealed.

Thought I’d share some pics since I had them cleaned up. BTW - I’ve been digging the White’s Heavy Duty LP as an edge dressing. Take a look at the heal stack & midsoles when browsing the album. I gave the sole a generous application as well:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads