• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Legal Eagles. I'm not 100% though. If he said he had some rub at first, but now after break in it is fine. I think we are all threading the needle. With that said, the D on the 4811 could still work. Your opinion agrees with that philosophy, and I'm wondering if it may indeed work at the D.

So now all I need to do is ponder whether I want to take the shot on them or not.

I would just say, don't order any boot without trying on the same last and size you are going to order. For me, I was planning to order SDs and thought 9.5E would be my size. Baker didn't have that size in SD so they sent me a SJ to try on. They advised it would fit the same as an SD. It was very tight in the toebox, so in conversation with Bakers I went with a 9.5EE, and it turned out huge on me. In fact, it is so big compared to the SJ I tried on that I wonder if there was some mistake in sizing. But in any case, the lesson I took was that there is no subsitute for trying on the exact size and last you are planning to order.

Sledge42

Reaction score
I would just say, don't order any boot without trying on the same last and size you are going to order. For me, I was planning to order SDs and thought 9.5E would be my size. Baker didn't have that size in SD so they sent me a SJ to try on. They advised it would fit the same as an SD. It was very tight in the toebox, so in conversation with Bakers I went with a 9.5EE, and it turned out huge on me. In fact, it is so big compared to the SJ I tried on that I wonder if there was some mistake in sizing. But in any case, the lesson I took was that there is no subsitute for trying on the exact size and last you are planning to order.
@linafelt Thank you. I wish I lived closer to the PNW, I'm east of the Mississippi and there isn't a stockist anywhere near me to do a try on unfortunately.

Lots of questions to ask of others who have these boots and lasts so we can make educated guesses.. then pull trigger and hope, which stinks, but it is our only choice.

I am most appreciative of everyone chiming in on this. I'm going to take in all the info and make a decision. Quite better than having no opinions and blindly ordering boots. Ha!

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@linafelt Thank you. I wish I lived closer to the PNW, I'm east of the Mississippi and there isn't a stockist anywhere near me to do a try on unfortunately.

Lots of questions to ask of others who have these boots and lasts so we can make educated guesses.. then pull trigger and hope, which stinks, but it is our only choice.

I am most appreciative of everyone chiming in on this. I'm going to take in all the info and make a decision. Quite better than having no opinions and blindly ordering boots. Ha!
Yes I’m on the east coast too, and stockists are few and far between. But Bakers will send you try on boots, though you pay for shipping. Maybe White’s will also, can’t remember.. My mistake was not getting the right try-ons.

Netvine

Reaction score
Black dress 4811Sj
Brown Smooth 55Bh
Both are Right foot with shoe tree in and in need of cleaning. I am hoping my amateur hour iphone photos will be of help.

And left foot 55brown right foot 4811 black.

Last edited:

Sledge42

Reaction score
@Netvine Ok can you tell me if you get a "pinky toe push" on the 55? Both left and right look like the leather has stretched a bit over the welt on the pinky toe side. Maybe even a little on the 4811 also- although it does not look as dramatic of a stretch as on the 55? Could be the leather?

Regardless- thanks for pics!!

Netvine

Reaction score
Yea that is definetly true. That is a good question. There is push over the welt. The 55 pictured have no liner in the vamp as well. I get less push with my horse hide SD(not pictured), the brown smooth and dress leather is less dense and does stretch more. I have close trim on the 55 and standard on the 4811, but there certainly is much more of my pinky toe over the welt on the 4811 despite the wider trim.

I dont think I could comfortably wear a 4811 with a toe cap without going to a wider size. My foot wants to go far over the welt and the cap stitching restricts that. I do like the balance of my foot over the welt, its a plus for me. I want my foot locked in and form fitted. I can wear much thicker socks in the 4811 last as well because of the larger volume overall(height mostly).

I know this is off topic but after having read what legaleagles has said over time, if I ever got a toe cap again it would be on the swing last!

miggyramone

Reaction score
Sorry for all the noob questions guys.

Would leather laces eat at the tongue of a semi dress boot? Seeing how these don't come with a false tongue, I thought maybe they were meant to be worn with the flat waxed laces.

mr. burns

Reaction score
They'll create an imprint on the tongue, that's it. They don't create friction on the tongue because they're fixed in place for the most part and the leather is smooth. I think a false tongue is mainly for foot protection.

miggyramone

Reaction score
They'll create an imprint on the tongue, that's it. They don't create friction on the tongue because they're fixed in place for the most part and the leather is smooth. I think a false tongue is mainly for foot protection.
Thanks! I was under the impression the false tongue protected the tongue from the sped hooks and thick leather laces.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
The false tongue from what I’ve heard is meant to protect the tongue from the laces & eyelets. Some makers advise not to forgo them as there is an upcharge for tongue replacement on a rebuild.
I suspect this is much more important for boots that get worked hard. I would guess nylon (work) laces are more abrasive than raw hide or other casual laces as well.
I run full length false tongues in my work boots and keep them out of casual boots. So far so good.

Netvine

Reaction score
I think the false tongue was originally supposed to curl up and protect the bottom laces as they can get severed in tough outdoor work like logging etc. Also, the tongue is the thinnest and most vulnerable Part of the boot and the false tongue would Help keep it intact.

mr. burns

Reaction score
Thanks! I was under the impression the false tongue protected the tongue from the sped hooks and thick leather laces.

I'm going off almost 4 years of heavy use with my boots, using white's leather laces, and the speed hooks and laces haven't caused any hint of damage to my tongue. There's an imprint where they make contact, but that's it. As long as the leather has some oil in it, it shouldn't cause any wear, so I really don't see a use for the false tongue for 99% of people buying these boots these days. I'll have to ask my dad, who had a pair of White's he used for tree work 40 years ago.

Last edited:

Phalanx

Reaction score
Did people know that combo lasts are thing with Whites? I'm currently talking to Kyle about my footbed issues and after sending him some new measurements, he's told me that on a 13 length, I'm an E at the ball and D at instep and heel. Apparently there's a 50$ surcharge to have a boot built on a combo last.

discomute

Reaction score
I didn't straight out know that, but since you can totally custom them, I would have assumed that.

Also - I'd love to see some pics in here of anyone who has ordered main streets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads