• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My bounty hunters “in action,” in the streets of our nation’s capital.
3D2A4D90-9D60-4A1F-AB9B-7C3349ED47F6.jpeg

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look amazing @mr. burns are the BH or Smokejumpers? Love the patina and they look well used!

mr. burns

Reaction score
Those look amazing @mr. burns are the BH or Smokejumpers? Love the patina and they look well used!

Thanks. They're bounty hunters. Distressed smooth leather. They're about 3.5 years old and used 5 days a week for work, so pretty well used. :]

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
I swear I'm sending these in to be resoled this month.

those look great! thanks for sharing the killer pics. i can relate to your sentiment - my BH's are absolutely due to get sent in. thinking im gonna ditch the half sole this time & go 430 mini lug.

pbrmhl

Reaction score
Thanks. They're bounty hunters. Distressed smooth leather. They're about 3.5 years old and used 5 days a week for work, so pretty well used. :]

I look forward to my distressed smooth Semi Dress boots to even begin to look like that. Have you been liberal with the Obenauf over the years?

mr. burns

Reaction score
I look forward to my distressed smooth Semi Dress boots to even begin to look like that. Have you been liberal with the Obenauf over the years?

I used it a little more frequently during the first year or so but never put a lot on. Just enough to put a thin coat on with my fingers. That's what darkened the leather though. Now I saddle soap and heavy duty lp maybe every 6 months and oil the tongue if it looks too dry in the creases.

Last edited:

PaintSplattered

Reaction score
Thank you, this was a really informative reply. You might be on to something. I am between a EE and EEE but have never worn EEE shoes before. It's a weird feeling and almost feels like my toes are swimming. Only thing is, I don't feel them locked in place but I'll try leather laces and see if that helps. I do have some on the way.

Do you find the boots shorten as the arch breaks in? As in, as the arch breaks in, your toes move a bit forward in the toe box?

My boots definitely shortened as they formed to my feet.

New boots can feel very weird. I remember reading one of the older cowboy boot makers saying that walking in new boots can feel like trying to walk while wearing skis.

thewinedown

Reaction score
Just got a notice my MPs have shipped. Now the long wait for FedEx begins. If the delivery date holds, it will have been 5.5 weeks from order to receipt (on the east coast) for those who are interested.

miggyramone

Reaction score
My boots definitely shortened as they formed to my feet.

New boots can feel very weird. I remember reading one of the older cowboy boot makers saying that walking in new boots can feel like trying to walk while wearing skis.
Thanks again. You're initial response to my issues really put things into perspective. I feel like the right boot (my longer foot) has broken in ok. My left boot (my shorter foot) not so much. I mostly feel it loose across the vamp. For some reason they haven't formed a crease, while the right boot is heavily creased and holds my foot in place.

mr. burns

Reaction score
those look great! thanks for sharing the killer pics. i can relate to your sentiment - my BH's are absolutely due to get sent in. thinking im gonna ditch the half sole this time & go 430 mini lug.

I'm still a little undecided. Mulling over the thought of a lowered block heel, but afraid I won't like it or it might affect my walking gate, because I walk a lot in them throughout the day. Also thought about getting a half sole, but I feel like I need the full vibram 700 to protect the midsole from water and sharp things I step on. If they were strictly casual boots, I'd have no problem with the half sole. Probably going to play it safe and just stick to the same config I have now since it's worked well for all this time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads