• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I think that new Main Street boot seems like the most suit-friendly option from White's at this point.

The one thing I'm really not sure about is the sole stitching - from what I've read to do this, they have to basically reconfigure whole sets of machinery to stitch a single pair of boots, and since that's sort of a pain, they'd rather not do that if it can be avoided. But, they might do it if you ask nicely!

discomute

Reaction score
Well I managed to find this with some google searching I would definitely agree that the Main Street is more suit friendly than the Semi Dress.

That being said I can't find it on either White's website or Bakers... but like I said I'd be at minimum a few months off ordering...

Sledge42

Reaction score
So far I am leaning towards a Brown Williston from Redwings later in the year and then order a Black set from White's sometime early 2020 when I've got a bit more cash and see how it goes. Just trying to get things clear in my head right now.

Any help much appreciated.

I'll chime in on the RW part. I own 7 pair of RW heritage boots. I own from an Iron Ranger to a Sheldon (Williston being the "Top" of their dress line.) Undoubtedly, you have been searching for real life reviews of the Williston, and there are not a lot out there, I found a guy who bought a pair on Nordstrom Rack for $200 and he said that he was glad he paid the $200 and not the full Retail Price.

I can tell you that the Sheldon (another dress model) is decent, but isn't built to a $369 price point, nor is the Williston at $429 US. I paid far less than the $369 for my "Firsts" and would have been a bit salty had I paid full price. Not to say they aren't good- they just aren't $369 good. They do have a slight arch support to them, where all the other boots of RW I own are about as flat as a pancake. To be perfectly frank- I tried them on, put a pair of boot trees in them and haven't worn them yet. I've had them for 3 months. The consideration of selling them and putting the proceeds towards a White's build is real for me.

If you have been through the last 50 pages of the thread you will see that White's is looking to launch on a full scale their Main Street Boots line. Comparing the White's boots I own, vs the 7 pair of RW I own, I would dig in and inquire a bit more with the White's boots Main Street Line that appears to be on the horizon. The attention to detail, materials and customer service are just better with White's.

RW is a good start for most. Over time, you will most likely continue to strive for "better" and IMHO, that is with White's.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For anyone in London, Clutch Cafe are having an in-store fitting for White’s at the end of this month. I can’t make it but I’m curious to see some pics if one of you decide to go.

discomute

Reaction score
I'll chime in on the RW part. I own 7 pair of RW heritage boots. I own from an Iron Ranger to a Sheldon (Williston being the "Top" of their dress line.) Undoubtedly, you have been searching for real life reviews of the Williston, and there are not a lot out there, I found a guy who bought a pair on Nordstrom Rack for $200 and he said that he was glad he paid the $200 and not the full Retail Price.

I can tell you that the Sheldon (another dress model) is decent, but isn't built to a $369 price point, nor is the Williston at $429 US. I paid far less than the $369 for my "Firsts" and would have been a bit salty had I paid full price. Not to say they aren't good- they just aren't $369 good. They do have a slight arch support to them, where all the other boots of RW I own are about as flat as a pancake. To be perfectly frank- I tried them on, put a pair of boot trees in them and haven't worn them yet. I've had them for 3 months. The consideration of selling them and putting the proceeds towards a White's build is real for me.

If you have been through the last 50 pages of the thread you will see that White's is looking to launch on a full scale their Main Street Boots line. Comparing the White's boots I own, vs the 7 pair of RW I own, I would dig in and inquire a bit more with the White's boots Main Street Line that appears to be on the horizon. The attention to detail, materials and customer service are just better with White's.

RW is a good start for most. Over time, you will most likely continue to strive for "better" and IMHO, that is with White's.

Awesome thanks for the well thought out post. If your Williston are 10.5 send them this way, haha.

Seriously you are correct that there is lack of info online about them, but I had come to a similar conclusion than you. My real issue is ordering my first pair custom, I would feel much more comfortable trying them on in store. Then again, I don't know what our Aussie price will be, we tend to get a decent mark up on goods, and it's quite possible they'll end up more expensive than whites...

I did not know that about main Street, in fairness I read the last 50 pages before I was paying attention to them, I might have skipped over it, as I was thinking "semi dress" the whole way.

So I guess what I am hearing is to wait a little bit, which I would anyway, then go and bother Kyle at bakers about my questions, particularly in relation to this stitching. (It's surely not that hard for me to turn white stitching black...)

One would also think if the Main Street is aimed at being that bit more formal, White's would think about matching the stitching to the sole anyway..?

Sledge42

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the well thought out post. If your Williston are 10.5 send them this way, haha.

Seriously you are correct that there is lack of info online about them, but I had come to a similar conclusion than you. My real issue is ordering my first pair custom, I would feel much more comfortable trying them on in store. Then again, I don't know what our Aussie price will be, we tend to get a decent mark up on goods, and it's quite possible they'll end up more expensive than whites...

I did not know that about main Street, in fairness I read the last 50 pages before I was paying attention to them, I might have skipped over it, as I was thinking "semi dress" the whole way.

So I guess what I am hearing is to wait a little bit, which I would anyway, then go and bother Kyle at bakers about my questions, particularly in relation to this stitching. (It's surely not that hard for me to turn white stitching black...)

One would also think if the Main Street is aimed at being that bit more formal, White's would think about matching the stitching to the sole anyway..?

Discomute:
Check this link on this thread: Sambam works for White's and posted up some beaut pictures of one type for the Main Street Line:

HA, I actually don't own a Williston, I do own a Sheldon.. but it is in an 11. If it fit ya, I'd work you out a heck of a deal!

Last edited:

mlwdp

Reaction score
I haven't been on in a while but here's an update concerning my Bounty Hunters in Black Bullhide. I wanted something that wasn't cow, or cxl, or horse. I wavered a lot between roughout, water buffalo, and bullhide. I don't think they'll develop a patina, the bullhide is just too tough.

They appear shinier in this photo than in real life, and could probably use a brushing.

View attachment 1201445

I chose 11.5D as my size because both my 11.5D SDs fit fine. However, this stiffer leather did not break in as fast as the CXL (I know better now) and I suspect I might need a slightly wider size on my next pair of White's. Lesson: understand leather stretch. They bend in such a way it callouses the knuckle of my big toe. I remember that from my SDs but, thicker leather, it was a little worse with these. I sometimes need a bandaid if I haven't worn them in forever. I don't know if a structureless toe is the answer. All of my White's have had the celastic toe.

People in the know ask about them, they feel extremely tough, and they're very comfortable. I can't find a reason to treat them with any saphir or anything, though I did put Montana's on the welt and heel. It did not affect color.

I treat my Bullhide triple midsole smokejumpers with Saphir. I also swapped my nylon laces after two years with leather laces and there's a world of difference in their fit now.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also swapped my nylon laces after two years with leather laces and there's a world of difference in their fit now.
Your choice of lace material changes the fit of your boots? I am curious about this... can you explain more? Is it because the leather laces stretch over the top of your foot while the nylon does not?

TH3515

Reaction score
Your choice of lace material changes the fit of your boots?
Same here. Leather laces are thicker and seem to use slightly more space over the instep. Gives a snugger fit IME. Also, the pressure is distributed more evenly.

sambam

Reaction score
Now THAT is a good looking boot! I was looking at SD/BH types as my next boot but this one has me sold already. Is the sizing the same as the MP? And are these available to purchase now through White's or Baker's?
The Main Street is through White's only. All reserve line boots are direct. The Chromexcel model is $379.95. Same last as the MP.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Main Street is through White's only. All reserve line boots are direct. The Chromexcel model is $379.95. Same last as the MP.
Sambam - I was looking through the eBay account and then your website and noticed the MPs labeled as being built on the MP last. When I bought mine, it was the Barrie last. How do these differ? Or are you just trying to create separation from the Barrie Last naming?

miggyramone

Reaction score
I like leather laces but hate how they kinda eat at the leather around the eyelets. Maybe I pull my laces too tight but they always leave indents and grooves around the eyelets.

sambam

Reaction score
Sambam - I was looking through the eBay account and then your website and noticed the MPs labeled as being built on the MP last. When I bought mine, it was the Barrie last. How do these differ? Or are you just trying to create separation from the Barrie Last naming?
Correct. Just going to rename the modified Barrie to the MP last.

sambam

Reaction score
Couple of Main Street pics. The french calf models like the black pic are going to come in black sole thread and black stain and brown thread and brown stain for the brown french calf. More formal.
brown cxcel main st.jpg
black french main st.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics