• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phalanx

Reaction score
That picture makes your issue infinitely more clear. How much vertical room do you have, and width? Maybe there's some way insoles could be of help (but a real fix is a better...fix).

Your validation is much appreciated. I'm not open to the idea of an insole because (and let's be honest), for $400-500, these issues shouldn't be here.

sambam

Reaction score

Straight from the horse's mouth...
Here is an update with all the reserve line boots. We have decided to take that whole boot line
chukka suede.jpg
direct. This will allow for much better pricing on these models. We are scrapping our current website and have been in development of a new one for 6 months. You will see a big difference in product and content. Hopefully it will be up and running in a few weeks. The Main streets will be on there. We also have added two new true suede leathers. One LAST thing, I am developing a new last, should be ready in spring 20. Combo 55 arch/ dress shoe toe. This will be available for hand sewn White's.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...We are scrapping our current website and have been in development of a new one for 6 months. You will see a big difference in product and content...
So happy to hear this. Any new leather options coming down the line?

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
We have decided to take that whole boot line We are scrapping our current website and have been in development of a new one for 6 months.

glad to hear this.

i would like to see a comprehensive leather resource on there. pics galore to include new as well as well worn. a description of the properties & how to care for it should be easily accessible for the "new guy". it's a humungous leap of faith buying your first pair of White's. it's easy to get overwhelmed by all the conflicting bits of info on the web and i still remember literally losing sleep about getting my first build or 2 right.
sizing help is probably the #1 issue. although it is STRONGLY advised to mail in a fit sheet, i don't see any reason why you can't post that disclaimer along with a thorough bannock sizing device guide to get people in the ball park.
.... and while im at this sizing issue quandary, I've been wanting a pair of Packers for a long time now but i have experience with the 690 last. If i wear an 11.5D on the 55 that fits snug but great - should i move up in length a half size, move up a width etc ??

thanks

sambam

Reaction score
glad to hear this.

i would like to see a comprehensive leather resource on there. pics galore to include new as well as well worn. a description of the properties & how to care for it should be easily accessible for the "new guy". it's a humungous leap of faith buying your first pair of White's. it's easy to get overwhelmed by all the conflicting bits of info on the web and i still remember literally losing sleep about getting my first build or 2 right.
sizing help is probably the #1 issue. although it is STRONGLY advised to mail in a fit sheet, i don't see any reason why you can't post that disclaimer along with a thorough bannock sizing device guide to get people in the ball park.
.... and while im at this sizing issue quandary, I've been wanting a pair of Packers for a long time now but i have experience with the 690 last. If i wear an 11.5D on the 55 that fits snug but great - should i move up in length a half size, move up a width etc ??

thanks
Sizing is hard because no two feet are the same. I wear a 10D in a 55 and a 10D in a 690. But that doesn't mean everyone can move sideways in lasts. If the 11.5D 55 is snug, then you should be just right in a 690 11.5D. The higher arched 690 can change fit (size) with some people depending on their arch height. Most people go down a 1/2 size in a 690 compared to a 55. But like I said, everybody is different. It's the toughest issue for us. Also, I am a 10.5D in a brannock and in all of my White's I wear a 10D.

miggyramone

Reaction score
Is the tongue on the Semi Dress sewn in all the way up, like the Bounty Hunter? Seeing how the Semi Dress doesn't come with a false tongue, what has your experience been with speed hooks and the bare tongue?

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
Now THAT is a good looking boot! I was looking at SD/BH types as my next boot but this one has me sold already. Is the sizing the same as the MP? And are these available to purchase now through White's or Baker's?

TH3515

Reaction score
Is the tongue on the Semi Dress sewn in all the way up, like the Bounty Hunter?
On my three pairs, the tongue is gusseted up to (including) the third pair of eyelets and a simple, single layer of leather above that point. A half gusset tongue. Different arrangements may be available at special request – not sure about that – but IMO it is perfect as it is.
BTW I have speed hooks on all three pairs – I don't think they make a difference wrt the tongue – if anything, they're easier on the tongue than eyelets as the laces always stay above the quarters.

miggyramone

Reaction score
On my three pairs, the tongue is gusseted up to (including) the third pair of eyelets and a simple, single layer of leather above that point. A half gusset tongue. Different arrangements may be available at special request – not sure about that – but IMO it is perfect as it is.
BTW I have speed hooks on all three pairs – I don't think they make a difference wrt the tongue – if anything, they're easier on the tongue than eyelets as the laces always stay above the quarters.

Thank you! More and more the Semi Dress is my perfect boot. Can't wait for my pair to show up.

Sledge42

Reaction score
Thank you! More and more the Semi Dress is my perfect boot. Can't wait for my pair to show up.

I just got off my butt and sent my tracings on Thursday. I already have two pair "built" on paper but want to ensure I'm sizing them correctly before I send the "build sheets" in with payment. I'm a little behind HA!

birinoah

Reaction score
That new last sounds awesome... damn, right after I ordered my HH MP’s. Might have to request Bakers to belay that build until the new last is here.

miggyramone

Reaction score
I just got off my butt and sent my tracings on Thursday. I already have two pair "built" on paper but want to ensure I'm sizing them correctly before I send the "build sheets" in with payment. I'm a little behind HA!
Awesome! Hope you get the right fit. Assuming the fit/last is right, I plan to get the Semi Dress in a few configurations.

discomute

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking for a while and read probably the last 50 pages

Here goes:

I have recently gotten a new law job where I need to wear a suit. Now, in Australia, because of our unique connection to RM Williams for some reason it is generally considered appropriate to wear certain boots with suits. I really do not like "The Chelsea" being what RM does, and such I have always worn dress shoes with suits in the past.

The obvious issue that I have is that these shoes might cost US$80-120 but they only last 3-6 months because of the soles.

It occurred to me that I could buy some fancy looking boots. I had sort of decided to try some brown Williston from redwing, apparently Aussies can buy them later in the year (suits me as I won't get any expensive shoes until my contract for next year gets locked in, which it should, but you know I need confirmation)

Okay but then I found this thread and I realised that it is common to get White's without being able to try them on. So I have been reading and deciding if I should go all out Whites (brown and black pair), maybe one of each (black Whites and brown Williston), all out redwings, or stick to the original plan (just get light grey and navy suits, wear brown most days, if I have Court or fancy clients I will wear dar grey suit with black dress shoes)

So the reason why I am posting is I would need some advice trying to make the shoes look as formal as possible, knowing that being in the USA it probably wouldn't occur to anyone that these could be worn, but I would imagine a proper set is better than RM's.

I am thinking semi dress. Questions that stick out for me:
1) The sole really needs to be the same colour as the shoe. It appears this is easy enough to sort out.
2) The stitching cannot be white and visible. If you look at any Oxford or Derby, that is really the difference compared to most boots. I am not sure if this is possible at White's? Am I able to get the stitching in brown and black? If not is it easy to do yourself?
3) The leather needs to be 'wrinkle free' I think, I see mostly appropriate leather and in some instances leather that doesn't look right, I am a bit confused the difference. (is it the water buffalo that creases that seems common on black semi dress?)
4) It is useful if the toe shape is less 'round' and has somewhat of a 'point' and I'm yet to figre out what last would look the best
5) I have a mild case of flat feet. Arch support is great but not necessary - I have never really worn my inserts in work shoes and its fine. Is there a way to address this, and how good are semi dress at arch support?
6) Any further advice would be welcome as to how to get this to work

So far I am leaning towards a Brown Williston from Redwings later in the year and then order a Black set from White's sometime early 2020 when I've got a bit more cash and see how it goes. Just trying to get things clear in my head right now.

Any help much appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads