• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

miggyramone

Reaction score
I started with the SD in 55 last like most people in SD get. White's put me into 11EE which fit well, but not perfectly.

I then decided I wanted a packer and so ordered in the same 11EE... fine in the midstep and heel, but way too tight in the toes... the boot felt short, but now I know it was because the last was squeezing my wide toes. It was then that it started to dawn on me that one must get the right size, but equally important was the right last...

But I really wanted those packers... so I went to 12.5 EE and my heels were swimming and the boot was too long, toe width OK... still not great.

But did I mention I really wanted those packers? So I tried 11.5FF I think... length was good, toes were good, heel was sliding everywhere... it was then I decided the packer last was not going to work.

Wanting a boot for maximum comfort I asked White's the following: "Ignoring for a moment length and width... based on my tracings and measurements... which last will best fit the SHAPE (not size) of my feet?" The answer was unequivocally, "The 38 Swing".

So I ordered a pair of SD in 38 Swing at 11E (same length as the 55 but Whites told me to go down one width), and where the fit of the 55 was "good" the fit of the 38 Swing was "perfect"... over time I have "dialed" in my fit and came to realize 11.5 EE in 55 was the best the 55 got for me, which is pretty good, but the 11.5 E in 38 Swing is the absolute best and perfect for my feet

My feet have grown as I got older, so I now take an 11.5 and can even can go to a 12E or 12EE in either and it works fine... but the 38 Swing last will always be the best fit for me because the shape of the last best matches the shape of my feet. Is it a coincidence that the 38 is similar to the Munson last which is generally acclaimed as the best combat boot last ever? I don't know, but I do know sizing is a crap-shoot if the last does not work for your feet.

If I had to do it over again I would nail down the last first... then dial in the size. You can ask Whites or Bakers to size your feet in different lasts... they were the ones who told me to size down one width going from 55 to 38... and they were spot on.

Of all the customization options we discuss, last shape vs foot shape often takes a back seat to cosmetic considerations, and it is a shame because last selection can be critical if your foot is non-standard.

Do you have any experience with the Wolverine 1000 mile boot? If so, Would that last be comparable to the 55 or 38 swing last? The 1000 mile has been my best fitting boot all around.

Like I said earlier, I got sized by Baker's and ordered a pair of Semi Dress. This topic had me curious, so I called them and asked them how they size people and they were very transparent and helpful. I am a little more at ease now. Hopefully my boots will come in by the beginning of next month. Fingers crossed.

It's funny how life works sometimes. I am trying to break in a new pair of Truman boots and realized they are not ever going to work for me. The toe rub is far too much.

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
I can tell you this, White's UNEQUIVOCALLY has better customer support than Nicks and its not even close. If you do go with Nicks, id strongly advise you to order though Bakers with Kyle than directly from Nicks.
This was a big thing for me when considering which to go with. I read so many horror stories about Nick's and their, lets be honest, terrible costumer service. On the flip side I read so many stories of White's responding quickly and fixing any issues that came up. If build quality, style and price are comparable, Whites' will win because they simply treat the customer much better. As a result I have two pairs from them with plans for a third hopefully later this year.

Phalanx

Reaction score
This is what I love about this group... now we will all post pictures of the inside of the best fitting pair of White's Boots we have, and then we can compare and contrast our comfortable boots to @squatonmyfacebrah so he will have something to go by... and plus because I am bored and curious... here are mine... see how each toe has some space? With this spacing the toe box is spacious but not cavernous... it does not look too different from yours, the key is that this is the best last for my feet.

I'm not sure if this looks to dissimilar to what my boot looks like. I think I will give my boots at least a full week's worth of wear before I talk to Baker about it. I really appreciate your discussion on how you found the sizing that worked for you. It's convinced me that I should give the swing last a go for my next build. These 55-BHs are in size 13EE and I actually was initially thinking I could probably have gotten away with 13E so maybe a pair of swing-last boots in 13E is where to go.

You should post some pics of what your swing last boots look like on the outside :)

Thanks again for your replies.

Chupacabra

Reaction score
Can anyone give me an idea how much if any moving up one size in width (same length) will effect the sizing (fit) in the heel?

TIA

DubbySmurf

Reaction score
All the photos of the inside of boots made me take some of my own White's and I found a ton of lint build up from my socks in the front toe area. I cleaned them out, but does anything else have this problem? Do DarnTough socks lose as much material as other wool socks?

Jmccle2

Reaction score
All the photos of the inside of boots made me take some of my own White's and I found a ton of lint build up from my socks in the front toe area. I cleaned them out, but does anything else have this problem? Do DarnTough socks lose as much material as other wool socks?
I wear the light cushion darn toughs and have not had any issues.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me an idea how much if any moving up one size in width (same length) will effect the sizing (fit) in the heel?

My $.02...

It will depend on the width of your heel and ankle, but in general you should be fine.

I currently wear SD boots in both 9.5D and 9.5E, both on the 55 last. There is a noticable difference in the toe area of the E width boots and I enjoy the extra room. My heel and ankle stay very firm and secure in both boots. I can wear the 9.5D boots but going forward I will always order the E width.

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
There’s a pair of mismatch cowboy packers in size 9E(right) and 9D(left) on Bakers’ eBay... I was planning to snag it as my right foot is slightly more voluminous than the left and going by my 4811/55 size of 8.5E, remembering someone’s experience-based recommendation of going up a length and down a width in 695... Luckily I entered into a bit of pre-purchase back-and-forth with Kyle and learnt that their general rule of thumb is going up a width and staying the same length in 695. LE’s post about square pegs and round holes, lasts that fit and lasts that don’t was a powerful piece and makes one thankful for having found the perfect(?) last/size combo, but I still see some potentially expensive trialing & erroring in my future - as I’d really like a pair of cowboy packers.

thewinedown

Reaction score
Are there any photos of the Main Street boot to be found? I think Sambam said a while back he would post more photos when he had them, but not sure if that happened or I just can't find them in the maintain of previous photos.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any photos of the Main Street boot to be found? I think Sambam said a while back he would post more photos when he had them, but not sure if that happened or I just can't find them in the maintain of previous photos.

Straight from the horse's mouth...

thewinedown

Reaction score

Straight from the horse's mouth...

Funny, that black cxl one you posted is one I have my eye on. I was hoping for some other angles and such to really get a good idea. There is an ocean of MP and SD photos, but so few MS pics.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Im a little late to the party, but i finally took some interior pics. Hope they help. My daily warm weather socks are Darn Tough's Full Cushion Boot Socks. In cold weather I switch to Darn Tough's Tactical Extra Cushion Boot Socks (these are the GOAT of socks, highly recommend). On really cold days I have some extremely thick wool socks from Cabelas that will only fit into my 12E work boots.

Hope these help:

11.5D MP 360 (Modified Barrie last). These are my snuggest fitting boots. When new, I was concerned they may be too small. I would get a little toe rub that would go away as the leather warmed up. They fit really good now but don't have room for my thickest wool socks (no big deal in this case).
11.5 MP.jpg

12D MP 360 (Modified Barrie last) - fit is pretty great overall. A hair of extra length and the width begrudgingly acclimates thicker socks. This was my first pair of White's which were originally built as 13D. White's graciously rebuilt this boot for me & cut it down to 12D.. for free even though I asked multiple times if I could pay them. Needless to say this made a customer for life & 9 pairs now.
12D MP.jpg

11.5D Bounty Hunter Soft toe (55 last). These are one of my favorite pairs. Fit is excellent & similar to my 11.D SD's. Again, my full extra cushion Darn Tough's max out the capacity in this boot.
11.5D Bounty Hunter.jpg

11.5D Semi Dress Soft toe (55 last). These get worn lightly but frequently and are still somewhat new. fit is excellent. My thickest wool socks make these boots feel snug.
Distressed SD.jpg

Lastly, my works boots which are both 12E Steel toe. I originally order a Farmer/Rancher in 11.5D but it was too snug with the steel toe. Bakers forwarded my fit **** to White's who suggested the 12E which felt a bit big at first but has been working out great ultimately. I have days that I wonder what an 11.5E would feel like but when i put on my very thickest wool socks the extra room is quite welcome.

12E Farmer/Rancher Steel toe (55 last)
Steel FR 12E.jpg

12E Smoke Jumper steel toe (55 last)
Steel SJ 12E.jpg

Phalanx

Reaction score
Final post from me on the topic of footbeds (I'm worried I come across as too OCD here). I figured it was too difficult to see the shape of the footbed due to the texture so I put some parcel tape in there to make the surface more smooth. I think the picture I've taken here demonstrates the issue; the tape helps show the ridge in the footbed with a lip on the left which my toe pushes against.

I explained the issue to Baker and told them I'm going to wear them for a few more days to see if the issue irons out but if not, I'm going to want them to fix it. The left boot does not have these issues and as a result, is very comfortable.

Again, I'm sorry if people think I'm a complete weirdo for caring about something like this; I'm so close to having my perfect pair of shoes and this is a literal speed bump in the way of that.

Also, I think it's hilarious how many pictures of the insides of shoes we now have haha.

Man you don't seem to leave much room in the toe lengthwise do you? Maybe you just like a much snugger fit than I do. Were these ordered direct from Whites or through Baker because I'm wondering if I bother asking them to drop me from 13EE to 13E. I'd rather get this footbed issue sorted first though.

I'm going to be an expert at import/export from Europe to the US at this rate haha.

Attachments

• IMG_20190718_182351.jpg
    IMG_20190718_182351.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:

iamntbatman

Reaction score
That picture makes your issue infinitely more clear. How much vertical room do you have, and width? Maybe there's some way insoles could be of help (but a real fix is a better...fix).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads