• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phalanx

Reaction score
Just received my try-on pair of Dress Brown Semi Dress boots from Bakers in size 13EE. I'm pretty sure they fit me really well. Kyle had me as a 13.5E and I just wonder if 13EE vs 13.5E is essentially splitting hairs (i.e, arguing over 1-2 mm in length and width).

What do you guys think?

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
How’s the toe box room - getting any rub on the pinky toe? Is the final cut gonna be soft toe - I find you can go a little tighter in that build.

Phalanx

Reaction score
How’s the toe box room - getting any rub on the pinky toe? Is the final cut gonna be soft toe - I find you can go a little tighter in that build.

There's no rub at all on the pinky toe and my heel and arch feel pretty locked in. Length-wise, my big toe doesn't bump the front and isn't touching the roof either. As far as I can tell the "dress brown" leather is very hardy so I don't think it'll stretch much; not sure if going down to E width would be a good idea.

To be honest, they're such nice boots I'm divided whether I should keep them. They're not to the specification I want but good fitting shoes are so rare for me I might just keep them anyway.

They're very stock.

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-11 at 22.22.21.jpeg

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Well they certainly look good and it sounds like the sizing is spot on (which is great!). Nobody would blame you for holding onto them but keep in mind you’ll have them forever. Always worth the wait to get exactly what you want.
On the other hand, once you get your first pair of White’s they tend to multiply...

Frizzleburger

Reaction score
I believe that all boots break in to a certain degree. If they feel good now, with no issues, they will only get better. I’d keep them and add exactly what you want later. After wearing those you may change your mind of what you desire later. Stock is made that way because that is a combination that works so well together. It’s a journey, enjoy every step of the way. You will have plenty of opportunities to build your collection. Lol

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no rub at all on the pinky toe and my heel and arch feel pretty locked in. Length-wise, my big toe doesn't bump the front and isn't touching the roof either. As far as I can tell the "dress brown" leather is very hardy so I don't think it'll stretch much; not sure if going down to E width would be a good idea.

To be honest, they're such nice boots I'm divided whether I should keep them. They're not to the specification I want but good fitting shoes are so rare for me I might just keep them anyway.

They're very stock.

View attachment 1174474

I think I’d order the make up I wanted in the same size. But I guess depends on how different it would be..

Phalanx

Reaction score
So I think the make-up I want is a semi dress in brown dress leather, but with a soft toe, a toe cap and maybe the vibram 430 mini lug. On closer inspection on Bakershoe.com, soft-toe doesn't seem to be an option; I can only choose between single celastic or double celastic. Do they not offer a soft toe on the semi-dress boot?

As for the toe-cap, I think it's a bit of a shame that the toe cap on SD and Bounty Hunters only has a single stich. The MP boots have like, 4 stiches for detail. I think the medallion toe looks quite nice though.

Man, decisions are something I'm awful at :brick:

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
The cap & structure combo is a pain at Bakers. Either you go to the Build-a-Boot site for one set of options, or the custom SD/BH for another.
Best bet is to call in & place your order directly with Kyle... or email him; once he starts dialing with you he’s quite snappy at responding.
Kyle can arrange for double toe stitch or any combo of Medalion & uninstructed, etc.

My 2 cents: Medallion Toe Cap is total class but never over-stated. Do it! Soft/Unstructured toe is something that must be experienced as it is glorious! Also turns into a lovely, sleek profile. As for the sole, that’s a totally personal choice. Gotta decide if you want to be able use a shovel in those boots or not. Oak Leather is a real treat if it fits your regimen

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
normally I wear steeltoe boots M-F so it was a treat to rock the HH SD’s for a business conference this week. over 500 people in attendance & the Horse Hide Semi-Dress boots outclassed anything it came across, esp. with the brogue/medallion toe cap. The best part is that they totally dress up some nice denim on a Friday but never look pretentious in a business casual outfit. Cinnamon Wax from today while playing fetch with my lab, Owen-bear

D6AD6BCB-61C1-4D3F-B19F-896424C59721.jpeg

6C92E428-6809-4FB8-8607-66B94576B6C1.jpeg

52B321B8-44A4-4A2E-A288-685CDCDA2E9C.jpeg

2895D345-8F53-42F9-90F7-90C36C2C8541.jpeg

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
normally I wear steeltoe boots M-F so it was a treat to rock the HH SD’s for a business conference this week. over 500 people in attendance & the Horse Hide Semi-Dress boots outclassed anything it came across, esp. with the brogue/medallion toe cap. The best part is that they totally dress up some nice denim on a Friday but never look pretentious in a business casual outfit. Cinnamon Wax from today while playing fetch with my lab, Owen-bear

View attachment 1175131
View attachment 1175132
View attachment 1175133
View attachment 1175134

Very nice.

Netvine

Reaction score

View attachment 1175131
View attachment 1175132
View attachment 1175133
View attachment 1175134

Those HH look great! I share your preference for the soft toe and eventually will have the celastic removed on my HH. Great pictures

Last edited:

barbellhacks

Reaction score
DSCF5601.jpg
DSCF5608.jpg
I just wanted to send a collective thank you to the participants of this thread. I received my first White's today (brown HH Bounty Hunters with soft-toe and woodsman heel) and I'm completely blown away. I credit this thread for providing excellent help with sizing and make-up details.

Couple of initial scattered thoughts:

- Because they are so overbuilt, I was expecting a lengthy, terrible break-in. After 6 hours they are incredibly comfortable. Only my RM Williams are in the same comfort realm. I have flat-ish feet and was worried about the arch-ease. It's great. I'm totally sold on the arch-ease. I now regret that all of my other boots don't have as good arch support.

- The standard/Woodsman heel. Amazing. I live on a sloped property and only now -- after walking around on hills -- do I understand the functional benefit of this heel design. The reduced surface of the heel allows for more force per unit surface area...and the shape allows you to precisely manipulate the heel-edge for control while ascending/descending hilly terrain. I just get it now.

- The Horsehide leather. I was expecting this leather to be similar to Viberg's horsebutt. But they are completely different. This horsehide is much more supple and seems to be breaking in differently. After only a few hours, I can tell the "microcreasing" description is spot on. I see microcreasing and broader rolls...a much different crease pattern from either horsebutt or cowhide.

- Unstructured Toe: This is my first unstructured toe. I've seen examples on the bounty hunter that range from beautiful to sorta mangled looking. We'll see how the toe area develops, but right now I'm really pleased with the decision to go unstructured. Feels like I'm wearing slippers and I'm really, really liking the top and side profiles.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads